Speculation: Will Lou ever make a move for offense!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Except as time marches on the “but marketplace” excuses get thinner. He is willing to try for the home run swing at big UFAs yet nothing else? One more year of doing nothing to improve besides lateral moves like Varlamov or Brassard is going to have a very bad effect on the fan base and that would be worse because of the upcoming shift to a final new home in Belmont.

He tried for Hoffman at last season's TDL. Hoffman still had another season on his contract.

Would the fanbase prefer he'd caved to the Panthers demands and moved Sorokin for Hoffman?

That is such a Milbury type move. Brings memories of Kvasha/Parrish for Luongo.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think Marner had a huge role in feeding Tavares many tip in goals.
If Leaf fans think the already slow skating Tavares and his contract are gonna age well, that's all that matters.

I would have loved to have landed the younger,speedier Panarin using the $ earmarked for Tavares.

Either way, not sure how yet again leaf fans have made another nyi thread about Tavares.

I havent noticed Tavares to be slow at all. He sint fast but he always seems to be in position. Skating was never his strength but not everyone is a speed demon. He makes it work with high hockey IQ, puck skills and a good shot.

its pretty pathetic how far you are reaching here to make JT look bad. Panarin is ONE year younger. not a lot of difference between a 28 and 29 year old but keep trying. leafs fans are more than happy with JT and dont have any worry about his contract 63g,61a for 124pts in 118 games. maybe you should worry about anders lee who is the same age with the same term. on pace for 22g/47pts this year. Hilariously Lee+Komarov+Martin get 12.5 while Tavares+ marlie callup + marlie call up get 12.4ish. enjoy that

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kind of like Dubas willingness to cave in contract talks with his top rfas, shows a pattern?

yeah yeah. he caves on Nylander who now makes less than Anders Lee and has nearly doubled his production.

Lee, Komarov, trading for Martin. Lou has made one good move as isles GM (hiring trotz) and its the only reason the isles are good. and no letting Lehner walk and signing the older and less good Varlamov doesnt count

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I havent noticed Tavares to be slow at all. He sint fast but he always seems to be in position. Skating was never his strength but not everyone is a speed demon. He makes it work with high hockey IQ, puck skills and a good shot.

its pretty pathetic how far you are reaching here to make JT look bad. Panarin is ONE year younger. not a lot of difference between a 28 and 29 year old but keep trying. leafs fans are more than happy with JT and dont have any worry about his contract 63g,61a for 124pts in 118 games. maybe you should worry about anders lee who is the same age with the same term. on pace for 22g/47pts this year. Hilariously Lee+Komarov+Martin get 12.5 while Tavares+ marlie callup + marlie call up get 12.4ish. enjoy that
Tavares has never been a strong skater or speedy skater.He came into the league and worked to improve his skating.

In his last 1-2 seasons on LI, Isles fans discussed that his skating was slowing after 9 yrs in the nhl and how it would effect his game over the next 8-10 yrs.

But,if it makes you feel better to think this is simply taking swipes at Tavares,that he is not slowing and that contract is gonna age well...go with it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
yeah yeah. he caves on Nylander who now makes less than Anders Lee and has nearly doubled his production.

Lee, Komarov, trading for Martin. Lou has made one good move as isles GM (hiring trotz) and its the only reason the isles are good. and no letting Lehner walk and signing the older and less good Varlamov doesnt count

Lou & Trotz took the isles from the worst defense in the nhl to one of the best in their 1st season with the isles.

keep comforting yourself with the idea they are a finished product 1 and 1/2 seasons into the Lou/Trotz era.

Leaf fans are so predictable. Unable to see a non-leaf thread without trying to join and make it Leaf centered.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
He has been GM for 1 and 1/2 seasons. Should he force a trade,even a bad one, to appease impatient fans?
I never understand why people get this defensive of a GM let alone Lou. So wanting a trade automatically means someone wants to go full Milbury? How about this question to you. How many trades has every single team, that’s 30, made since Lou took the GM spot here and how many besides the Martin trade has Lou made to make even a minor upgrade?

It is ok to be critical of Lou. He doesn’t walk on water and has made big mistakes in the past. He knows the top 9 have multiple issues yet he can’t find any trades over 1.5 years despite every other team making a minimum of a few moves? That doesn’t work.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Pretty sure you’re combining your Tavares/Panarin stories here. Tavares’ wife is a doctor.

Anyway, you’re so right! I can’t believe Tavares’ wife forced him to .... accept one of the biggest contracts in the league from his contending, hometown team?

Fyi, she's not a doctor.

She has a Masters in Rehab and Physical Therapy. Don't think she'll be putting that to good use.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
He might swing a deal — he might not. Who are you shipping out, and what price do you really want to pay for a rental that is gone after 20 games plus what ever you manage in the playoffs... or are you resigning him???

I believe if he wants to see his team reach the next level, yes, additional help on the wing is needed.

There is a role that certain players play. While Kuhnhackl, Leo, MDC and Martin (per an earlier post) may not be all stars, they play a role — particularly Matt Martin. This team is not the same with Martin, Cluttebuck and Cizikas don't play together. It is just not. They are the glue to the forwards. I know that is odd because they make up a 4th line, but they do what a 4th line is supposed to do — create energy, wreak havoc, and piss the other team off. Plus — in this case, they allow the other 3 lines to set nicely for Trotz.

The others mentioned — sure, they could be part of a trade, but none of them are getting you the scoring forward we need. Perhaps one of them with a 1st round pick in 2020 plus a prospect will land you what you need — but that is a steep price.

I wonder if before making a trade, Bellows is given a shot to see if he can add a spark. I think Wahlstrom should spend the balance of the season in BP barring an injury. Let him develop his game in peace. Bellows may have found a little something with that kick in the pants. Failing Bellows sticking, then I think you make a deal (maybe one involving Bellows, one of the aforementioned roster players — and a lower pick (3rd round) and that would be alright for a rental. Unless we are getting a serious impact player, Id like to keep the first. I think you only trade the first if it is a bigtime player who can push you over the hump to at minimum the cup final; ideally a cup.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Fyi, she's not a doctor.

She has a Masters in Rehab and Physical Therapy. Don't think she'll be putting that to good use.

Fair, I miss-remembered. Still, the other commenter was confusing her for Panarin's wife/girlfriend who I believe is a model. I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway, since that guy's criticism of someone's career choice is ridiculous to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad