Will Lindholm Resign ??

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I hope not. This is his last big pro contract so he's going to want as much as he can get plus term. The Canucks have done well shedding bad Benning era contracts. They don't need to start adding their own. I hope the Canucks milk every ounce out of him and let him walk into the sunset.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He's a pure rental unless he wants to come back on a one year deal to try and have a career season next year. Do not want to become the Leafs and have half the cap tied up in 4 or 5 guys.

Reactions: sting101 and Play

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Low key think that this trade is a back up move for Petey. I think there's a legitimate chance he doesn't want to be in Vancouver.
We will know soon enough if he wants to win or just get paid. If he leaves it'll be because it's all about the money and good riddance in that case.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s actually doable. 18 million will be tied towards Elias and Elias.

giving us 20 mill left and let’s assume 7 million is towards hronek.

13 million left for Zadorov and spare parts. I’m gonna assume podzilla will be replacing one of joshua , laffert, bleuger.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Canucks have done well shedding bad Benning era contracts.

Which bad Benning era contracts did Rutherford/Allvin did a good job of shedding? I could have bought out OEL if I was GM. Just saying…

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Which bad Benning era contracts did Rutherford/Allvin did a good job of shedding? I could have bought out OEL if I was GM. Just saying…
Sadly, Rutherford and Allvin haven't been all that successful in shedding some of Benning's terrible contracts.

Obviously the OEL buy-out leaps to the head of the list. But they'll be taking a cap-hit on that deal for years, so they've hardly 'shed' his contract.

There's of course trading Pearson to the Habs, at the cost of a third rounder. But they did get DeSmith back in the deal, so that mitigates it a little.

And the only other 'contract dump' I can think of was trading Jason Dickinson to the Hawks and having to throw in a second rounder......and taking back Riley Stilman.

This might have been one of the few 'questionable' deals by Allvin. Dickinson has become a useful player in Chicago, and recently signed a contract extension. Although Stillman was eventually flippd to the Sabres for prospect Josh Bloom.

Reactions: F A N

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sadly, Rutherford and Allvin haven't been all that successful in shedding some of Benning's terrible contracts.

Obviously the OEL buy-out leaps to the head of the list. But they'll be taking a cap-hit on that deal for years, so they've hardly 'shed' his contract.

There's of course trading Pearson to the Habs, at the cost of a third rounder. But they did get DeSmith back in the deal, so that mitigates it a little.

And the only other 'contract dump' I can think of was trading Jason Dickinson to the Hawks and having to throw in a second rounder......and taking back Riley Stilman.

This might have been one of the few 'questionable' deals by Allvin. Dickinson has become a useful player in Chicago, and recently signed a contract extension. Although Stillman was eventually flippd to the Sabres for prospect Josh Bloom.
lmao

Edit: Pearson has 3 points in his last 25 games with a 3.25 cap hit (ie. more than Joshua, Lafferty, and Hoglander combined), and getting DeSmith "mitigates it a little" holy cow.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think the only thing going for the Canucks, somewhat ironically, is that Lindholm’s production is down year over year, and while it may improve on the Canucks, he’s not likely to be a ppg centre looking for a long term extension, but instead, a 55-70 point centre. And this will matter in negotiations, and given that the Canucks probably primarily want Lindholm as the two way stalwart that scores around that point clip, they may be fine with it. If he was at a ppg this year, and even last year too, there is basically no hope of re-signing to a reasonable extension.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think the only thing going for the Canucks, somewhat ironically, is that Lindholm’s production is down year over year, and while it may improve on the Canucks, he’s not likely to be a ppg centre looking for a long term extension, but instead, a 55-70 point centre. And this will matter in negotiations, and given that the Canucks probably primarily want Lindholm as the two way stalwart that scores around that point clip, they may be fine with it. If he was at a ppg this year, and even last year too, there is basically no hope of re-signing to a reasonable extension.
To add, if Lindholm will to sign an 8 year deal at 7 million it may make sense if the Canucks think he can be a 50-75 point good defensive centre for the next five years or so.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I realize that Miller's contract was signed while the league was in a flat cap but his contract kinda sets a bar within the team. Because of his age and the fact that he probably hasn't yet reached his ceiling, EP can ask for significantly more. Lindholm is 29 years old (roughly the same age as Miller at the start of the contract) and does not have the offensive chops of Miller. I'm hopeful they can sign Lindholm at $7M with term being the variable. The team should want 4 years, the player will want 6 to 7 years. We'll see where it ends up.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
lmao

Edit: Pearson has 3 points in his last 25 games with a 3.25 cap hit (ie. more than Joshua, Lafferty, and Hoglander combined), and getting DeSmith "mitigates it a little" holy cow.
What's even worse is that Pearson's contract is really expensive this year in real dollars. With the signing bonus he's actually getting paid $4.25M in this, the final year of his deal.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It’s actually doable. 18 million will be tied towards Elias and Elias.

giving us 20 mill left and let’s assume 7 million is towards hronek.

13 million left for Zadorov and spare parts. I’m gonna assume podzilla will be replacing one of joshua , laffert, bleuger.

Would be appealing if that were the case, I worry that with Petersson at $12M it'll be a stretch for Lindholm to settle for $6M.

I also want Hronek at $7M, worried about the rumours of his number starting at $8M.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

JR/PA said at the outset that it would take two years to unravel Bennings bad contracts, and that appears to be the case.

Other than forcing the issue ,and immediately giving up good assets to get rid of bad ones, they stayed patient...The OEL buy out, and Pearson trade turned out to be massive blessings in disguise (which has vaulted them from playoff pretender , to playoff contender).

Any mistakes this management makes (Stillman, or Kuz to some extent)..they rectify them fairly quickly, instead of doubling down.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's a pure rental unless he wants to come back on a one year deal to try and have a career season next year. Do not want to become the Leafs and have half the cap tied up in 4 or 5 guys.
exactly my thoughts

he apparently turned down 8yrs at 9 million were not in a position to be in those kinds of bidding wars. And you just know that Boston is sitting there waiting to get an offer on the table to join the brothers this summer.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The most likely scenario is that playing with the Canucks will pump up Lindstroms value again..He will be surrounded with players that suit his style, and will bring out the best in him...Therefore, his asking price will probably be too rich for the Canucks.

Any team that signs him to that big extension is taking a risk..Without the right supporting cast, he could be the next Louie Eriksson imo.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Would you rather have a 2nd rounder plus Dickinson making 2.65 or Blueger and Joshua?

The issue with Dickinson is he's fine as a 10th forward but drains his linemates in a 3rd line role or more because he doesn't move the puck very well. If your objective is just killing the clock then sure he's a good defensive player at the right price but that's never the case.

Similar story to Sutter and him making 4.375. At least Sutter could play C was good at shutting down top6 Cs had a better shot and looked like a competent 3rd liner when healthy but still was poor cap allocation given his shortcomings

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We will know soon enough if he wants to win or just get paid. If he leaves it'll be because it's all about the money and good riddance in that case.
I don’t think it’s either one of these because I think the team has likely already offered a lucrative contract (8 x $12+) and the team has seemingly built a winning culture in terms of hiring the right management, coaches, and rounding out the roster with solid players.

I think, if he doesn’t want to re-sign, it’s either an issue with the city (not wanting to be recognized in public or wanting to go somewhere more exciting like LA, NY, Chicago - like what happened with Panarin and Dubois). Or he has had personal issues with people within the Canucks organization and has a grudge now. Just speculating though, who knows.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I don’t think it’s either one of these because I think the team has likely already offered a lucrative contract (8 x $12+) and the team has seemingly built a winning culture in terms of hiring the right management, coaches, and rounding out the roster with solid players.

I think, if he doesn’t want to re-sign, it’s either an issue with the city (not wanting to be recognized in public or wanting to go somewhere more exciting like LA, NY, Chicago - like what happened with Panarin and Dubois). Or he has had personal issues with people within the Canucks organization and has a grudge now. Just speculating though, who knows.
He’s also always been saddled with the top 6 ‘leftovers’. I wonder if that annoys him.

That said, I would bet he wants to be in the NHL limelight while also being anonymous when out and about…

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad