GDT: Will Lightning Strike Twice...? 4PM @TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He was thinking, "I can hardball Beauchemin because I couldn't possibly be wrong letting him go a second time, I've got Bieksa up my sleeve." :shakehead

I just don't understand it. How do you watch Bieksa, even for a short time, and come away thinking "Yeah, this guy can fill a top pairing role."

I mean, I guess TJM came away with the same feeling, but besides those two it is just so far fetched to expect him to be even remotely competent in that role. That's not a small risk either. It's huge. Bieksa either plays beyond all realistic expectations(because, let's be honest here... it is entirely unrealistic to expect a 3rd pairing defenseman to make the leap to top pairing, when he hasn't been close to that in years), or the Ducks are looking for another top 4 defenseman, while already burdened by Bieksa's contract.

This was an addition that felt questionable in the off-season when it was made, and that was when we could pretend that maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe we'd be okay, if guys like Lindholm, Fowler, and Vatanen improved. But this is worse than I imagined. Far worse. And that's even with Fowler and Vatanen being good. Admittedly, Lindholm has been below expectations, but even if he was playing great nothing could hide the awful that is Bieksa.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I just don't understand it. How do you watch Bieksa, even for a short time, and come away thinking "Yeah, this guy can fill a top pairing role."

I mean, I guess TJM came away with the same feeling, but besides those two it is just so far fetched to expect him to be even remotely competent in that role. That's not a small risk either. It's huge. Bieksa either plays beyond all realistic expectations(because, let's be honest here... it is entirely unrealistic to expect a 3rd pairing defenseman to make the leap to top pairing, when he hasn't been close to that in years), or the Ducks are looking for another top 4 defenseman, while already burdened by Bieksa's contract.

This was an addition that felt questionable in the off-season when it was made, and that was when we could pretend that maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe we'd be okay, if guys like Lindholm, Fowler, and Vatanen improved. But this is worse than I imagined. Far worse. And that's even with Fowler and Vatanen being good. Admittedly, Lindholm has been below expectations, but even if he was playing great nothing could hide the awful that is Bieksa.

I agree. I could at least understand if BM was bringing in Bieksa to play the 3rd pairing/leadership role, and allowing Lindholm, Fowler, Despre, and Vatanen to play in top 4 roles, but that clearly wasn't the case. Bieksa was brought in to play in the Beauchemin role, and for that, I simply do not understand.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Uh, would you believe it was due to the piss poor quality pro scouts this team employs? Whether it was Bob himself or the scouts he is ultimately responsible for hiring, there's your answer, right there.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Opponents have it too easy in front of our goal. Forwards aren't helping much and singling out Bieksa is too simple. He's been awful in the role given to him and for the role he would be most suited for he's overpaid. It's really hard to like him here, and that's on Murray as well as Bruce for consistently putting him out there and expecting different results game after game.

As for the forwards, they can't score. Grinders grind and the snipers snipe, except for the Ducks' supposed snipers. They can't wait for Getzlaf, Kesler, Perry and Silfverberg starting to score the whole season. It's 21 games in and they've combined for 8 goals. Eight. Let that sink in. Two of them were empty netters at least. Passing seems questionable too. I liked that one PP where Maroon actually got a good shot off the post, but before that none of the passes were on tape or even near.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Uh, would you believe it was due to the piss poor quality pro scouts this team employs? Whether it was Bob himself or the scouts he is ultimately responsible for hiring, there's your answer, right there.

The scouting department is a huge problem for this club, it just boggles my mind how bad they've been in the recent years (scouting reports on Stoner, Bieksa, Allen, Bork, Brewer, etc etc ??). If I was GM, I'd fire all of our pro scouting and start over with entirely new personnel.

Speaking of which, I wonder what GM Bob is going to do now, now that the Ritchie experiment didn't exactly get this team going either. Sure, Ritchie played well, but he wasn't "the savior of the season" people expected him to be. What's it going to be, Bob - coach firing, panic trade or maybe some combination of the two?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Boy I can't wait for this coaching staff to get fired, feel checked out of this season until something happens. Feels like every person in a position of power with the Ducks at the moment has no idea what they're doing. Fun, fun, fun.

I had to laugh when Bieksa ****s up on the first goal and BB immediately puts him straight back on the ice. Good stuff.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I can't wait for Thompson to return either. I love his warrior mentality and all that he brings, but if you think a new 4th line center is going to help the offense, think again. He is 30 and coming off a very major shoulder injury.

This team is getting very old, very fast.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I saw the first two periods and i thought we were the better team. But much like in the Chicago series, looking better means 0 if we can`t actually score more goals than the other team.

This team is playing like they have a hongover/sophomore slump

DaDucks*

The scouting department is a huge problem for this club, it just boggles my mind how bad they've been in the recent years (scouting reports on Stoner, Bieksa, Allen, Bork, Brewer, etc etc ??). If I was GM, I'd fire all of our pro scouting and start over with entirely new personnel.

Speaking of which, I wonder what GM Bob is going to do now, now that the Ritchie experiment didn't exactly get this team going either. Sure, Ritchie played well, but he wasn't "the savior of the season" people expected him to be. What's it going to be, Bob - coach firing, panic trade or maybe some combination of the two?

There isn't a single player in the nhl that could turn this team around. So please, tell me, where in the hell someone said Ritchie would be the savior.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
There isn't a single player in the nhl that could turn this team around. So please, tell me, where in the hell someone said Ritchie would be the savior.

I could go through the early season threads and find you all the posts where people were demanding an immediate Ritchie call-up as soon as our scoring woes first appeared. You don't think they were expecting for Ritchie to come in and change the way we play? Oh don't get me wrong, nobody actually used the word "savior", that was just my way of paraphrasing their expectations.

Now that Ritchie has had his call-up, it's time to send him back to San Diego, where he belongs. Ice time, PP minutes, scoring chances, not having to deal with the suck of the big club, you know the drill. Maybe have his buddy Sgarbossa join him, too.

DaDucks*

I could go through the early season threads and find you all the posts where people were demanding an immediate Ritchie call-up as soon as our scoring woes first appeared. You don't think they were expecting for Ritchie to come in and change the way we play? Oh don't get me wrong, nobody actually used the word "savior", that was just my way of paraphrasing their expectations.

Now that Ritchie has had his call-up, it's time to send him back to San Diego, where he belongs. Ice time, PP minutes, scoring chances, not having to deal with the suck of the big club, you know the drill. Maybe have his buddy Sgarbossa join him, too.

We're 2-2 in our last 4... Not 0-4.... He's been effective, sending him down is unwarranted. The org is not willing to call it quits like most posters seem to be.

Btw... There's a huge difference between wanting to call a guy up, and expecting someone to be a savior.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
We're 2-2 in our last 4... Not 0-4.... He's been effective, sending him down is unwarranted. The org is not willing to call it quits like most posters seem to be.

Btw... There's a huge difference between wanting to call a guy up, and expecting someone to be a savior.

Wanting to call up a scorer from the AHL, when the big club isn't scoring is not expecting for that player to improve scoring in the big club? I think the paraphrasing is fitting, but you can just believe whatever you want.

Also you just said that there's no player in the NHL that could turn this team around, but now you're condemning HF posters for "calling it quits"? Way to take a shot at yourself, I guess.

Ritchie may have been "effective" in his checking role, but having him with the Ducks, playing 12-13 minutes a night for a sucky team is not optimal to his development. 20+ minutes in San Diego as the #1 star forward of that team is what he should be getting at this point.

Putting Ritchie to the Gulls is not giving up on the Ducks, it's the right thing to do. The NHL is not a developmental league.

DaDucks*

Wanting to call up a scorer from the AHL, when the big club isn't scoring is not expecting for that player to improve scoring in the big club? I think the paraphrasing is fitting, but you can just believe whatever you want.

Also you just said that there's no player in the NHL that could turn this team around, but now you're condemning HF posters for "calling it quits"? Way to take a shot at yourself, I guess.

Ritchie may have been "effective" in his checking role, but having him with the Ducks, playing 12-13 minutes a night for a sucky team is not optimal to his development. 20+ minutes in San Diego as the #1 star forward of that team is what he should be getting at this point.

Putting Ritchie to the Gulls is not giving up on the Ducks, it's the right thing to do. The NHL is not a developmental league.

So you're telling me there is a player that can turn this team around?

DaDucks*

Benn, Price, or Josi would likely restore enough of an edge to get the team winning. Benn would be perfect. They need 2-3 pieces, not a wholesale roster change.

Getzlaf and Perry are barely getting a combined 3 shots per game (recently)

Not disagreeing that we need a huge shakeup

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
So you're telling me there is a player that can turn this team around?

So you're telling me you didn't read/understand what I wrote? And, to reply to your question, I do think there is a player that can turn this team around. His name is Ryan Getzlaf.

I know we haven't seen him around lately, but should he show up, I think this team has a chance of winning a game or two. Ritchie isn't going to cut it, Getzlaf just might be enough.

Oct 18, 2011
Bieksa sucks and i am sick of this team playing him first or second pair minutes, someone has to have a brain and realize he's no good

DaDucks*

So you're telling me you didn't read/understand what I wrote? And, to reply to your question, I do think there is a player that can turn this team around. His name is Ryan Getzlaf.

I know we haven't seen him around lately, but should he show up, I think this team has a chance of winning a game or two. Ritchie isn't going to cut it, Getzlaf just might be enough.

I do understand... I am confused at the part of your reasoning behind me not believing in the team, if don't think the play of 1 player can change our season around. And no, Getzlaf isn't enough, not with the lack of depth scoring we're getting. But that's just my opinion.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This team has pretty consistently gone as Getzlaf goes. Get Getzlaf going, and the Ducks start winning. Since 2008 that has been the case, and that's with many different rosters, including ones sorely lacking in depth scoring.

So, yeah. The only player the Ducks need to start the turnaround is Getzlaf. That doesn't mean they suddenly win a Cup with him playing well, but if you want to know what single player can turn it around? It's Getzlaf.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I do understand... I am confused at the part of your reasoning behind me not believing in the team, if don't think the play of 1 player can change our season around. And no, Getzlaf isn't enough, not with the lack of depth scoring we're getting. But that's just my opinion.

Don't you think it's hypocritical to say "no NHL player will correct this team", and then call other posters quitters just because somebody disagreed with you?

Also with Getzlaf - it's not just his scoring, it's also the leadership, captaincy, compete level, etc. He needs to step up not just by appearing on the score sheet, but by being a leader and showing example to others. If you cut off the head of the snake, the rest will be easier to deal with.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This team has pretty consistently gone as Getzlaf goes. Get Getzlaf going, and the Ducks start winning. Since 2008 that has been the case, and that's with many different rosters, including ones sorely lacking in depth scoring.

So, yeah. The only player the Ducks need to start the turnaround is Getzlaf. That doesn't mean they suddenly win a Cup with him playing well, but if you want to know what single player can turn it around? It's Getzlaf.

The guy might just be past his prime though. He could carry the team when he was 22-29 but that gets increasingly difficult when you reach 30. Not saying he's dumb but I'm just not sure if he's got enough left to go back to the 90+ point center he's been. I guess we'll see

DaDucks*

Don't you think it's hypocritical to say "no NHL player will correct this team", and then call other posters quitters just because somebody disagreed with you?

Also with Getzlaf - it's not just his scoring, it's also the leadership, captaincy, compete level, etc. He needs to step up not just by appearing on the score sheet, but by being a leader and showing example to others. If you cut off the head of the snake, the rest will be easier to deal with.

No, I don't... it's a team game, and the majority of the roster is underperforming.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The guy might just be past his prime though. He could carry the team when he was 22-29 but that gets increasingly difficult when you reach 30. Not saying he's dumb but I'm just not sure if he's got enough left to go back to the 90+ point center he's been. I guess we'll see

I don't really think he needs to be a 90+ point center. He just needs to be the leader, and our best forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad