Will Letang sign/be offered an 8 year contract?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That 8th year is a huge bargaining chip, and I think it could keep a lot of salaries down when re-signing players. Letang could probably get more money elsewhere, but he will not get an 8th year elsewhere. Players like the money, but they love the years.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i would like to see him put together one relatively injury free (complete) season of excellent play.

injuries and periods of horrific d-zone play have prevented him from doing so. also he is kind of an undisciplined spaz.

i question whether he can be the #1 d-man on a cup winning team.

we always say he's a norris contender, but let's see him actually be a finalist.

so basically, the pens should sign him to a reasonable cap hit. he's not nearly as important as crosby/malkin, though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, if Letang comes in at a number at or over 6 million dollars, I'd probably look to flip him before I gave him that kind of money. 5.75 would be my max.

And honestly, a lot of my thought process on these numbers hinders on him not being a good PPQB. If you're making 6+ million a year, I think you should be used in every facet of the game, and be damn near elite. You obviously have those albatross contracts that someone will bring up, but you'll have that I guess.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
With how cheap our blue line is going to be in the coming years, sign him for 5.5-6.5 for 8 years and be done with it. If he becomes expendable if/when Morrow, Despres and Pouliot all pan out, then you have the luxury of moving a #1 D-man.

sluice

Jan 16, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, if Letang comes in at a number at or over 6 million dollars, I'd probably look to flip him before I gave him that kind of money. 5.75 would be my max.

And honestly, a lot of my thought process on these numbers hinders on him not being a good PPQB. If you're making 6+ million a year, I think you should be used in every facet of the game, and be damn near elite. You obviously have those albatross contracts that someone will bring up, but you'll have that I guess.

Not a good PPQB?.. 19th in the league last season in power play points for a defenseman.. while only playing 51 games. The 18 guys in front of him average 78 games.

The guy can slow down the game soo well.. Very patient with the puck. Rarely makes the wrong move.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Not a good PPQB?.. 19th in the league last season in power play points for a defenseman.. while only playing 51 games. The 18 guys in front of him average 78 games.

The guy can slow down the game soo well.. Very patient with the puck. Rarely makes the wrong move.

You can look at a stat sheet, or you can watch a game. Anyone who watches him on the PP will tell you that he's an average PPQB. The puck should definitely not be going through him.

And I vehemently disagree that he is patient with the puck and rarely makes the wrong move, especially on the powerplay.

Letang isn't a go to guy on the powerplay, and would be better served to play the old Whitney position on the left wall where he can sneak in and out of the play.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
8 years? If so it better be for around 5.5 per.

Hi game is way to bi polar right now to give him over 6.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was talking not about duration, but how much Danger\Tanger will ask.
I meant that they will offer him no more than 6 mln/year.
And I do agree that he has to be offered an 8 year contract.

That's well below the pay standard set for UFA defensemen of his calibre. He deserves Suter money.

It would be highway robbery if we got him for 6 mil per. I have no doubt we would offer more than that to retain him.

i would like to see him put together one relatively injury free (complete) season of excellent play.

injuries and periods of horrific d-zone play have prevented him from doing so. also he is kind of an undisciplined spaz.

i question whether he can be the #1 d-man on a cup winning team.

we always say he's a norris contender, but let's see him actually be a finalist.

so basically, the pens should sign him to a reasonable cap hit. he's not nearly as important as crosby/malkin, though.

Weird how people had no problem handing out 7.5 mil per until forever for Suter, who finished well below Letang in Norris voting in 2011 and finished one whole spot ahead of him in 2012 in spite of Letang only playing 51 games.

In fact, Letang is the only active defenseman other than Chara and Weber to finish in the top 10 of Norris voting the last two seasons. How much do they make?

Come on JTG...do you know what other defensemen make?

Care to think of what our blueline would look like without Letang? He's irreplaceable. The very short list of comparable blueliners aren't even remotely available.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You pay him whatever it takes. But I think we'll have D-men who will outplay him on special teams in the near future. Only possible reason why he may not be worth 7 mil year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm not sure why that would be a factor.

We're a cap team... which means every dollar has to be wisely allocated. Florida over spending my a few million on Campbell means nothing. However us overspending on someone by a million on a 8 yr deal has implications on who else we can afford going forward for that duration of that contract.

That's well below the pay standard set for UFA defensemen of his calibre. He deserves Suter money.

It would be highway robbery if we got him for 6 mil per. I have no doubt we would offer more than that to retain him.

Weird how people had no problem handing out 7.5 mil per until forever for Suter, who finished well below Letang in Norris voting in 2011 and finished one whole spot ahead of him in 2012 in spite of Letang only playing 51 games.

In fact, Letang is the only active defenseman other than Chara and Weber to finish in the top 10 of Norris voting the last two seasons. How much do they make?

Care to think of what our blueline would look like without Letang? He's irreplaceable. The very short list of comparable blueliners aren't even remotely available.

Really? You're going to compare an average size offensive PMD to Weber or Chara, guys who are the ultimate definition of a #1D, who are absolute monsters? Letangs game isn't even comparable to Suter's game. Suter is more of an all around D, where as Letang is much more offensive.

As for what he should make... I'd be comfortable with anything up to 6m. However if he's asking for more than that, I'd be concerned. And if he is over 6m, his NTC/NMC had better be a limited one.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don't understand how some people wouldn't sign Letang for $6M even though Gonchar was getting $5M with a much lower cap just a few years ago.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
You can look at a stat sheet, or you can watch a game. Anyone who watches him on the PP will tell you that he's an average PPQB. The puck should definitely not be going through him.

And I vehemently disagree that he is patient with the puck and rarely makes the wrong move, especially on the powerplay.

Letang isn't a go to guy on the powerplay, and would be better served to play the old Whitney position on the left wall where he can sneak in and out of the play.

I agree. Letang doesnt strike fear into the team on the PP. He's good, but not great.

He's never even in the realm of what gonchar used to be on the PP.

CHLLL Penguin

Nov 14, 2011
Would I like to see him signed for 8 years: Yes.

Voted no simply because of the odds of him actually getting an 8 year deal.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Letang is one of the best d-man in the league. He's also really young for an elite defensmeman. Anyone who thinks he's going to get less than 6 per are kidding themselves.

Letang is the type of player you do everything you can to keep. You just don't let legit #1d-man walk away.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We're a cap team... which means every dollar has to be wisely allocated. Florida over spending my a few million on Campbell means nothing. However us overspending on someone by a million on a 8 yr deal has implications on who else we can afford going forward for that duration of that contract.

Really? You're going to compare an average size offensive PMD to Weber or Chara, guys who are the ultimate definition of a #1D, who are absolute monsters? Letangs game isn't even comparable to Suter's game. Suter is more of an all around D, where as Letang is much more offensive.

As for what he should make... I'd be comfortable with anything up to 6m. However if he's asking for more than that, I'd be concerned. And if he is over 6m, his NTC/NMC had better be a limited one.

Paying market value to retain Letang If necessary IS allocating money wisely. Florida has nothing to do with anything. Check what any other elite defenseman is making - you are living in a dream world if you think 6 mil per is overpaying for what Letang brings to the table.

How exactly do you propose to replace what Letang brings if he walks? Have a look at what's available in UFA on Capgeek. It's funny, everybody who says "just let him walk" never has a reasonable answer to that question.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Not saying our blueline wouldn't look like ****. Just because a guy is irreplaceable doesn't mean that we should sign him to a crazy deal.

His worth is 5.75 million, IMO, especially considering that he's getting an extra year here. On the opened market, his value is probably 6.25-6.5 million on a 7 year deal.

Not sure how Letang goes into a negotiation and says, "I want to make more than Karlsson." He can say, "I should make what Campbell or Bouwmeester makes" but we all know those contracts aren't indicative of the market now that the cap is slated to drop by 6 million dollars.

Letang is one of the best d-man in the league. He's also really young for an elite defensmeman. Anyone who thinks he's going to get less than 6 per are kidding themselves.

Letang is the type of player you do everything you can to keep. You just don't let legit #1d-man walk away.

Is Letang a legitimate #1? He isn't this team's go to on the penalty kill, and if we had any semblance of a PPQB, he wouldn't be this team's go to on the powerplay. He's not a PPQB as I've said before.

What he is is a great top pairing defenseman, IMO, who can play in all game situations, but is at his best as a 5-on-5 puck moving defenseman.

A #1 is a guy like Weber, Lidstrom, or Chara. Minute munchers in every single situation, albeit, Lidstrom in his last few years was used less on the PK to keep him fresh.

I'm not saying to lowball the guy, but let's keep in perspective what he actually does. 5.75 over 8 years would put him in the top 15 of the league in salaries for defensemen. He'd be paid as a #1 technically, and honestly, 5.75 is paying the guy for potential still also.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm with CW (aka'd Rowdy Roddy Peeper) on this one.... as usual.

Letang is not someone you replace. I know we have a plethora of defenders in the making, but a very small group in the NHL play like Letang. I think a guy like Karlsson is slightly below Letang and he got 6.5. That's not a dig at Karlsson, either. The fact Suter got as much as he did... Letang deserves every penny he makes.

We have to be praying he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. If Letang is financially smart, he SHOULD test free agency. I just hope Pittsburgh can do whatever it takes to keep him.

I know you can't keep everyone, but Geno, Sid, Letang, and Neal are guys we need to keep around.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Letang isn't an elite special teams player. But you pay him what he wants. If the cap catches up to us down the line and we have the personnel to replace him, you deal with it then.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
People say these things now, but before you know it, Letang will be getting the Paul Martin or Jordan Staal treatment if he doesn't produce at a high enough level.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not saying our blueline wouldn't look like ****. Just because a guy is irreplaceable doesn't mean that we should sign him to a crazy deal.

His worth is 5.75 million, IMO, especially considering that he's getting an extra year here. On the opened market, his value is probably 6.25-6.5 million on a 7 year deal.

Not sure how Letang goes into a negotiation and says, "I want to make more than Karlsson." He can say, "I should make what Campbell or Bouwmeester makes" but we all know those contracts aren't indicative of the market now that the cap is slated to drop by 6 million dollars.

Is Letang a legitimate #1? He isn't this team's go to on the penalty kill, and if we had any semblance of a PPQB, he wouldn't be this team's go to on the powerplay. He's not a PPQB as I've said before.

What he is is a great top pairing defenseman, IMO, who can play in all game situations, but is at his best as a 5-on-5 puck moving defenseman.

A #1 is a guy like Weber, Lidstrom, or Chara. Minute munchers in every single situation, albeit, Lidstrom in his last few years was used less on the PK to keep him fresh.

I'm not saying to lowball the guy, but let's keep in perspective what he actually does. 5.75 over 8 years would put him in the top 15 of the league in salaries for defensemen. He'd be paid as a #1 technically, and honestly, 5.75 is paying the guy for potential still also.

Karlsson made 6.5 mil per as an RFA. J-Bo got his deal when the cap was 56.8 mil, and it was 56.7 for Campbell's.

You should also check how much Weber plays on the PK.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Karlsson made 6.5 mil per as an RFA. J-Bo got his deal when the cap was 56.8 mil, and it was 56.7 for Campbell's.

Weber plays about the same as 3 other guys on the PK.

And Karlsson also won a Norris trophy.

Campbell and JBo's deals should be outliers as they were ridiculous when they were signed, and they have been ridiculous ever since.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He's a far more capable PKer than Letang. Size and mean streak alone. But they need his shot on the PP and his presence on the ice at ES.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Letang is not someone you replace. I know we have a plethora of defenders in the making, but a very small group in the NHL play like Letang. I think a guy like Karlsson is slightly below Letang and he got 6.5. That's not a dig at Karlsson, either. The fact Suter got as much as he did... Letang deserves every penny he makes.

We have to be praying he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. If Letang is financially smart, he SHOULD test free agency. I just hope Pittsburgh can do whatever it takes to keep him.

I know you can't keep everyone, but Geno, Sid, Letang, and Neal are guys we need to keep around.

It's not about how easily replaceable he is or isn't. A cap team isn't in a position to overpay guys and still contend. And Letang is not a #1D. He is a very good all around top pairing guy, and is our #1 only because we don't have someone better. He's not a shutdown guy, and he's not really a top PPQB. He's a mix of both, yet excels at neither. I'm not sure how you can compare him to guys that are not comparables (Suter, Weber, Chara, etc). Karlsson is probably a closer comparison. Or maybe Pietrangelo, and I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I'm not sure how you can say that Letang is better than Karlsson. Karlsson just came off of a 78 pt season and a Norris win. Yes Letang would have been close in points had he not been hurt... but that's it... close. I think Karlsson's defensive game is weak (and certainly weaker than Letangs), but his offensive game is better than Letangs.

Would the Pens be in a rough place without Letang? Yes to an extent. But go look at Carolina's cup roster (probably the most recent win without a #1 (or even a top pairing D)). Or look at the Rangers or New Jerseys D? My point being it's not impossible to assemble a quality team and blueline and have success without a legit #1 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad