Will Letang sign/be offered an 8 year contract?

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I personally think the answer is obvious, but I would like the board's opinion. The argument against the Penguins offering Letang an 8 year contract requires playing roulette with our d-prospects, and neglecting that Letang often appears Coffey-esque on the ice... while not even being in his prime. An 8 year contract gets you the best years of Letang, even if he has less flow in the end.

We drafted Crosby + Letang in the same draft. Crazy.

Three Words: Thank You Gary. :)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I personally think the answer is obvious, but I would like the board's opinion. The argument against the Penguins offering Letang an 8 year contract requires playing roulette with our d-prospects, and neglecting that Letang often appears Coffey-esque on the ice... while not even being in his prime. An 8 year contract gets you the best years of Letang, even if he has less flow in the end.

We drafted Crosby + Letang in the same draft. Crazy.

Three Words: Thank You Gary. :)

Uh, we also got Malkin, Neal, and Niskanen with our first two picks of the 2004 draft.

And, yes, we'll offer him a 8 year contract. More interesting question will be the dollars it will take. Half way between Doughty and Edler would, I'm sure, make management happy.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I hope so. I've kind of gotten the impression though (based on nothing concrete, mind you) that management doesn't view Letang quite as highly as myself and most of us here do.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Uh, we also got Malkin, Neal, and Niskanen with our first two picks of the 2004 draft.

And, yes, we'll offer him a 8 year contract. More interesting question will be the dollars it will take. Half way between Doughty and Edler would, I'm sure, make management happy.

I hope we do, it makes so much sense, that I am assuming it doesn't happen.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003

How we quickly we've forgotten the great Johannes Salmonsson.

But yes, management should try to lock up Letang for 8 years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How we quickly we've forgotten the great Johannes Salmonsson.

But yes, management should try to lock up Letang for 8 years.

The team was also moronic with developing players before Shero came on board and the change finally started to make WBS a place for developing the Pens future.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The answer could not be more obvious to this question, and really this isn't even a question that needs to be asked. Letang should get an 8 year deal, and I can't think of a better place for him to want to sign an extension.

He will get closer to $7-$7.5 than $6.5 though, and he deserves it. There will be inlfation of salaries over time, and we can't frond-load contracts like we have in the past to bring cap hits down (like we did with Crosby, or like Buffalo did with Myers), so expect it closer to that range.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
The answer could not be more obvious to this question, and really this isn't even a question that needs to be asked. Letang should get an 8 year deal, and I can't think of a better place for him to want to sign an extension.

He will get closer to $7-$7.5 than $6.5 though, and he deserves it. There will be inlfation of salaries over time, and we can't frond-load contracts like we have in the past to bring cap hits down (like we did with Crosby, or like Buffalo did with Myers), so expect it closer to that range.

Sounds about right.

One of the premier defencemen and he's going to get paid like it.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
The team was also moronic with developing players before Shero came on board and the change finally started to make WBS a place for developing the Pens future.

No doubt. "Moronic" is too kind of a word though, it implies that they actually tried to develop players. Can't fault Salmonsson on CP, as he only played one season in NA. Well that and that clown Glenn Patrick was mercifully gone by the time Salmonsson was drafted.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010

Karlsson got 6.5 for 7. Im not saying he's better than Letang, but he does have a better offensive game and a Norris to his name. That will be a good bargaining chip for Shero. I'd expect around that same coin.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
He has to be offered. The only question how much he will ask. As long as Pens have to deal with the cap I'm sure he will be offered no more than 6

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Karlsson got 6.5 for 7. Im not saying he's better than Letang, but he does have a better offensive game and a Norris to his name. That will be a good bargaining chip for Shero. I'd expect around that same coin.

Karlsson also signed with the cap that was expected to be 7 million dollars higher than it will be next season, and is the more valuable defenseman.

If I had to put a number on Letang's extention, I'd say 8 years, 46 million.

Not sure what Geno will do. He's technically entitled to the first 8 years of Sid's contract, which would put him at a little over 10 million on the cap hit.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Exactly. If there's one thing we've learned in this cap world it's that you acquire the asset first, then worry about it working out later. Especially now with the buyout allowances.

That said, I'm not seeing much risk in signing Letang to 8 years.

For sure. Not to mention that over the summer we were trying to sign Parise and Suter for longer than 8 years. The cap has nothing to do with it - Letang is THE young core player after Sid and Geno, so they'll want to retain him for max years.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I would say there is some risk with Letang. He's yet to put together a full season at an elite level. He's had some issues with consistency, and his concussion problem last year was concerning.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
For sure. Not to mention that over the summer we were trying to sign Parise and Suter for longer than 8 years. The cap has nothing to do with it - Letang is THE young core player after Sid and Geno, so they'll want to retain him for max years.

I was talking not about duration, but how much Danger\Tanger will ask.
I meant that they will offer him no more than 6 mln/year.
And I do agree that he has to be offered an 8 year contract.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Karlsson also signed with the cap that was expected to be 7 million dollars higher than it will be next season, and is the more valuable defenseman.

If I had to put a number on Letang's extention, I'd say 8 years, 46 million.

Not sure what Geno will do. He's technically entitled to the first 8 years of Sid's contract, which would put him at a little over 10 million on the cap hit.

Good call on Letang. That would be a nice deal for the Pens. I'm hoping that the Edler deal is a model for him.

Geno is a total wild card. IMO, anything with an average less than 9.2M cap hit would be a gift.

I still wouldn't be ENTIRELY shocked if he re-upped for an 8.7M cap hit and it was pretty much understood that he could have 8.7M a year thereafter as long as he wanted to be a Penguin.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
With only 4 of 22 current players signed than the 2014-2015 .. the numbers will be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad