Will Kronwall rebound to be a #3 D-man?

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
With Nik Kronwall turning 36 in January & still touted as our "#1" Dman for now, will he rebound from his injury last season to be at least a #3 Dman?

Yes

No

Probably not, but possibly

Possibly, but probably not

If so/not, how do you rank him, based on your vote. I see Dekeyser & Green as BOTH being #3's on a playoff bound team, or even most contenders, except for outliers like St. Louis, Anaheim, NYR circa 2012-14, CHI etc...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Possibly, but not likely.

I really don't think so, at all, but I generally don't like to speak in absolutes on things link this.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I voted 75% no, but what does it say when a guy who might be a #3 is still touted as the #1?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really hope so, but I have a hard time seeing it.

I like Kronwall a lot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If he's healthy, he'll be fine. I don't know enough about how his body feels to make an informed decision. Guy still has the tools to hold down a #3 job if the legs are there.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If he's healthy, he'll be fine. I don't know enough about how his body feels to make an informed decision. Guy still has the tools to hold down a #3 job if the legs are there.

yeah, I don't think he'll have a problem playing up to the ability of a typical #3, it's whether or not we'll be able to use him that way. I think there's a fair chance the same thing we do to Z we'll do to him and just run him into the ground in half a season.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I can't imagine his legs being any better at 35 than they were at 34 or 33. Seems unlikely he'll finish his career as a legit #3. Especially if Blash decides to keep using Z and Kronwall as if they're still 22.

Unless you were asking if he'd be the Wings 3rd best D. There's probably a more interesting conversation, there.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
His decline is because his tools were more physical than mental. With the speed of the game, the rule changes, and him not being a spring chicken, I just don't see it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His decline is because his tools were more physical than mental. With the speed of the game, the rule changes, and him not being a spring chicken, I just don't see it.

When you are a 5'11" or 6'0" defenseman in today's NHL, a lot of your game is going to be predicated on skating.

That said, I always think Kronwall has had good Hockey IQ. Part of the reason why he was one of the only people Smith could play with, because Kronwall sees the ice well and could anticipate his pinches and cover for him. A guy like Quincey doesn't see the ice like that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Depends of his knees.

IF they are done, he's another Cleary. Even with the IQ of Lidström, if your knees are gone, you are gone.

If he is healthy again, then he'll rebound for sure.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I said no. At a certain age, when things go south they never really come back. I suspect that he is at that age.

Now we may play him as a #3 because we have no better option, but that is a different issue and standard.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I think people will have to define what a #1 and what a #2 etc is for them. Are there 30 #1 and 30#2. OR are we calling a #1 a top 15 Dman?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I said no. At a certain age, when things go south they never really come back. I suspect that he is at that age.

Now we may play him as a #3 because we have no better option, but that is a different issue and standard.

Teemu Selänne had bad knees at 34-year, then got a good surgery and played +40 year old at great level. Still over a point per game at 40 year old.

Selänne went to surgery, Cleary pushed against the pain and regressed badly. These examples just showed, that don't be an idiot and push against the pain. Fix your problem and get good extra career years. Works also in real life.

Never say never, we don't know what level the Kronner's damage is. We'll see it at the season start.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Teemu Selänne had bad knees at 34-year, then got a good surgery and played +40 year old at great level. Still over a point per game at 40 year old.

Selänne went to surgery, Cleary pushed against he pain regressed badly. These examples just showed, that don't be an idiot and push against the pain. Fix your problem and get good extra career years. Works also in real life.

Never say never, we don't know what level the Kronner's damage is. We'll see it at the season start.

Big E said never though, right?

edit: Not never, but until he retires

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Selänne went to surgery, Cleary pushed against he pain regressed badly. These examples just showed, that don't be an idiot and push against the pain. Fix your problem and get good extra career years. Works also in real life.

I'll take the under.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think he will be. He returned too soon from injury last season and I think the jury is in on Green. He'll be used more heavily than he was last year. And with the money Dekeyser is about to get, he'll command more ice as well. Also think Marchenko and Smith earned some trust there as well. Therefore, I anticipate Kronwall's minutes coming down a bit and him benefitting.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
Dekeyser is our #1.

Still think Kronner can bounce back a bit and play solid #3 minutes + PP.

yeah, that's a given...but even though DDK is our #1 now, he is still a #3 Dman on a contender.

#3's:
DDK
Green

#3/4:
Kronner

#5's:
Marchy

#6's:
BigE
Smith
Ouellet

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I voted not likely but possible.

Wouldn't mind seeing DDK - Green as the top pairing and Kronwall - Smith as the 2nd pairing.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
On our squad?

Sure why not. He's got to beat the likes of Ericsson and XO. It's not that steep a hill to climb even for Kronner's knees. I wouldn't be too surprised if he's better than AM or Smith at this point. I don't think he will be but I wouldn't be surprised.

25% likely imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad