Will Karlson finish + ?

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So, I was appalled by Karlson's 3 give-always in the recent Bruins fiasco. I see that he is currently -7 in +/- what should be done? I thought it was a holdover from his Achilles injury last season, but the latest giveaways seem to be due to brain cramps. If it were Cowen or Wier he would be watching from the pressed for a game, but...

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
+/- is a ****** stat but in Karlsson's case at least half of them are deserved. Really not a good start for him this year but he has shown glimpse of good play here and there. Wouldn't bet on him getting in the +es anytime soon though, takes way too many dumb decision.

Exemple, versus Boston yesterday game was tied 1-1 and he has time to swing back behind the net, tries a risky pass right in the slot. No need to do that, you go center ice when you're sure your pass is okay cause if not 90% of the time it ends back in the net. Then after that we're down by 1 and he goes for a stupid pinch while everyone is down low in the zone. One of the important rule on a pinch is you have to make sure someone is covering you or that you will get the puck, 0/2 there. Then his other two -es last night weren't really his fault.

He can be much much better and I am confident he will. Seems like a competitive person and he must be frustrated IMO

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
depends on how well you think the team will do. because he plays so much, his +/- stat in particular is a team stat

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
depends on how well you think the team will do. because he plays so much, his +/- stat in particular is a team stat

He plays mostly with Turris line which will most definitely finish plus.

I say yes, he's off to bad start but he definitely will. He was only -15 playing with -26 Spezza and -25 Michalek also the greening line which were all minus and he sucked defensively last year too.

He'll finish plus alright.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
Tough to say i think. He hasn't had a great start, but not terrible either except for the last 2 games. He's had a couple games of -1 and -2 as well as last nights -4, but he also has the offensive ability for when he gets going to put together a string of +2 or +3 games.

BigBush*

Our team is bad. It's been bad since we lost to the rangers in the playoffs. Doesn't have to be a bad thing. I don't think many people are truly frustrated. We are young. It's good to be bad this year.

lol is this because the team had a crappy game in Boston?
ottawas looked decent so far this year. Not top of the east but definitley will be in the hunt for a playoff spot

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Karlsson won't be a plus until they can find him a defensive partner who can take some pressure off of him. Right now teams are stacking the ice on his side and forcing him to give up possession and there isn't a left side defenseman on this team that can make a play to save their ****ing life. Not that hard to be a minus when the defending team only has to defend half the ice.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Karlsson won't be a plus until they can find him a defensive partner who can take some pressure off of him. Right now teams are stacking the ice on his side and forcing him to give up possession and there isn't a left side defenseman on this team that can make a play to save their ****ing life. Not that hard to be a minus when the defending team only has to defend half the ice.

You are letting EK completely off the hook, his turnovers have been unforced. He has to be held accountable for his terrible play.

SenatorArmy*

he's been legitimately terrible this season so that - is deserved. He has & can play better though. Up to him to turn it aorund.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
lol is this because the team had a crappy game in Boston?
ottawas looked decent so far this year. Not top of the east but definitley will be in the hunt for a playoff spot

where have we looked decent.. this is like the leafs fans mentality last year.. just because your goalie can stop a ton of shots doesnt mean you are playing well...

yes we will be in the battle for a playoff spot... we battled for a playoff spot last year, but we played terrible....

i think its awesome that we have this record, but i dont think its indicative of how "well" we have played. its indicative of how well our goalies have played.

Can the most positive fans say we have played well? i understand were yougn and this is to be totally expected, but i mean, lets not lie to ourselves.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You are letting EK completely off the hook, his turnovers have been unforced. He has to be held accountable for his terrible play.

How am I letting him completely off the hook? Are you telling me that we have a left-side defenseman who has played well enough on the top pairing to take some of the pressure off Karlsson? What we have is a rotation of LDs who can't make a pass or start a play at all. Teams are stacking the ice on Karlsson's side and making him have to pass through 3 or 4 players. Are you guys even watching the games? Yes he's had some gaffes that were unquestionably his own fault but the fact is that opposing teams have absolutely no respect for whoever his partner is and don't bother making any defensive adjustments to the left side of the ice. Every time Karlsson touches the puck in his own zone there's at least 2, sometimes even 3, guys sitting on his side of the ice waiting for him to get the puck so that they can pressure him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes he's had some gaffes that were unquestionably his own fault but the fact is that opposing teams have absolutely no respect for whoever his partner is and don't bother making any defensive adjustments to the left side of the ice. Every time Karlsson touches the puck in his own zone there's at least 2, sometimes even 3, guys sitting on his side of the ice waiting for him to get the puck so that they can pressure him.

Karlsson needs to adjust to this then. You will be very hard pressed to ever find a player that is going to take that kind of pressure off of Karlsson on the left side of defence. He needs to use the forwards, the goalie and his partner and learn to play smarter. He seems to be having a hard time adjusting to this, but the reality is that with his talent and offensive ability every team is going to load up on him whenever they can -- they do the same thing with Crosby, and Malkin, and whoever else when they're on the ice.

Another poster brought up the fact that losing Spezza was going to put a much heavier load on Karlsson because of this kind of pressure, and it's true. Unless someone else on our team steps up as an offensive superstar there's not going to be much reason for other teams not to challenge the rest of our team to make them pay for keying in on Karlsson.

We need to insulate him because he's not a Crosby or Malkin that can handle being pressured the way he is right now. Either that or he needs to figure out a way to adapt and change his play. As far as the question goes I have a hard time seeing Karlsson finish as a + player this year unless a lot of things change. I think people are a bit blinded by our start to the season...we are not a good team.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Within 2 games he can be back to even.

Hahaha okay! That won't happen. The problem is he can also be -12 in 2 games. He's been so bad this year, at this point he's a liability to the team.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Raise your hand if you want to watch a Sens game that ices this defense unit:

Ceci
Cowen
Phillips
Borowiecki
Gryba
Wiercioch

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Raise your hand if you want to watch a Sens game that ices this defense unit:

Ceci
Cowen
Phillips
Borowiecki
Gryba
Wiercioch

Why would we imagine that. Just because some of us are pointing out that karlsson has gotten off to a mediocre start to the year. Doesn't mean we "want him traded or scratched". Or my personally favorite "conspiring to run him out of town".

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Why would we imagine that. Just because some of us are pointing out that karlsson has gotten off to a mediocre start to the year. Doesn't mean we "want him traded or scratched". Or my personally favorite "conspiring to run him out of town".

Exactly! No Sens fan is going to raise their hand. He has been awful at times but nobody wants him gone.

I kind of hope someone will bring up the lockout year as an example. I want to tear that down. I'll continue to wait in the weeds.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Exactly! No Sens fan is going to raise their hand. He has been awful at times but nobody wants him gone.

I kind of hope someone will bring up the lockout year as an example. I want to tear that down. I'll continue to wait in the weeds.
No one is going to raise their hand because no one feels that way. The point is he needs to be better defensively. He has to be more than a pure offensive defenseman.

Post that same defense corps but instead of karlsson put in other elite defenceman. I think you'll start to see some more hands. Hands that I dont think you would have seen two seasons ago.

In no way shape or form am I (I guess known as a karlsson hater or whatever) calling for him to be scratched or anything of the sort. He is our best player. And he should be playing 25 a night. But he can't be playin 25 a night as a mistake prone offensive defenceman. He has to find balance. If he was playing 15 a night okay different. But he's playing the key minutes, mistakes against the other teams top lines end up in the back of our net. That's all. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He might finish +10 or +15.

The problem is entirely in his attitude, which is borderline cavalier toward defensive play and personal accountability. He needs to take pride in stopping others from scoring and join that to his super offensive game. Too often he just coasts back to his own end nad seems disinterested in getting the puck from opponents.

If this team misses the playoffs again and he's on the "-" side of the ledger, then he will need to change his style, and fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad