Will James Reimer ever be a number one goalie?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
He'd be number 1 on an average or bottom 10 team. Us Leaf fans finally know what it means to have a starter. We used to think the same thing with Reimer dw

He's def solid

Theodoriph

Jul 16, 2009
Reimer's a very good goalie though durability is a concern. I think he would do very well in a 1A/1B situation a la Roloson/Fernandez, as opposed to the pretend 1A/1B situation where the Leafs wanted to pretend to give him a shot, but really wanted Bernier to start.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
He'd be number 1 on an average or bottom 10 team. Us Leaf fans finally know what it means to have a starter. We used to think the same thing with Reimer dw

He's def solid

Yes, down in Florida we don't know what a goalie is. That's what it is.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Save percentage doesn't tell the whole story. Obviously.

You don't mind if your goalie has bad games, or even bad stretches. But timing is important, you can't have your starter turning in below-average performances in more important games. Even individual bad goals. At exactly the wrong time they affect the whole team's performance.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What do you think? I think he has the skills to be a number one goalie. Kind of shocking he hasn't been given that chance yet.

he was given that chance, for 6 years in Toronto he failed that is why Andersen was brought in even if he isn't in tonight

Theodoriph

Jul 16, 2009
he was given that chance, for 6 years in Toronto he failed that is why Andersen was brought in even if he isn't in tonight

He wasn't really given a chance though. He played very well for Toronto. He put a .924 in 12-13 and a .922 in the playoffs and the Leafs went and traded for a goalie no better than Reimer was, and then shoehorned that goalie in as their starter.

Reimer had one bad year as a starter, and that was the year he played with concussion symptoms after the Gionta hit.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No. He's not even close to being a #1 goalie.

Career SV shows he's at least an average goalie. His ES SV is higher than Andersen's so if you think Andy is a #1 goalie, so is Reimer. Reimer just hasn't started 50-60 games to be a bonafide #1. He can get there if he's healthy.

yup thats what he does any bit of contact at all and he's "injured"

he is faking it

:facepalm:

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
no he is not

the real #1 is hurt

so.... Reimer? :sarcasm:

He wasn't really given a chance though. He played very well for Toronto. He put a .924 in 12-13 and a .922 in the playoffs and the Leafs went and traded for a goalie no better than Reimer was, and then shoehorned that goalie in as their starter.

Reimer had one bad year as a starter, and that was the year he played with concussion symptoms after the Gionta hit.

Nah, he was given plenty of chances. He's (was?) a very inconsistent goalie. He just, for whatever reason, gained a cult like following who refuse to give it up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Career SV shows he's at least an average goalie. His ES SV is higher than Andersen's so if you think Andy is a #1 goalie, so is Reimer. Reimer just hasn't started 50-60 games to be a bonafide #1. He can get there if he's healthy.

:facepalm:

Having an average SV% in a low amount of games hurts him. It's likely to drop the more he plays.

So... yeah

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

look again he had 3 bad years as a starter for Toronto

he had years of 900 907 and 911 save% and he had 3 good years but here is the issue

he never played more than 37 games for us because he couldn't stay healthy because he's soft

he got bumped tonight and went down like someone put a bullet in his head

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
So relieved to not have him on the Leafs, that first Matthews goal...I don't know if Andersen has let in a goal that bad all year.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
look again he had 3 bad years as a starter for Toronto

he had years of 900 907 and 911 save% and he had 3 good years but here is the issue

he never played more than 37 games for us because he couldn't stay healthy because he's soft

he got bumped tonight and went down like someone put a bullet in his head

He got hit hard in the head a couple games ago doctor maybe he's still injured. Andersen must be faking too.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
So relieved to not have him on the Leafs, that first Matthews goal...I don't know if Andersen has let in a goal that bad all year.

Andersen has gone through stretches of 5-10 games of being absolutely terrible and has been the furthest thing from consistent, because he's the best goalie in the league for a few games after that.

On topic, I think Reimer is a 1B, but I don't think he'll ever play 65+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad