Injury Report: Will Hyman and Dermott actually miss games?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We all know that the Leafs stated timeframe for their injuries predicts them to miss October.

Are we actually sure of this? Is anyone familiar with how accurate these timlines are? Im always skeptical of things of this nature. Teams have a hard enough time gauging recovery times that number in days and weeks, forget about months.

Like, heres Dermott lifting a grown man on his back. Does that seem like someone whos missing hockey games three months from now for upper body injuries?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The guy had surgery, didn't he? No way he is 100% already. He could be relatively pain free, but I'm sure there is a lot of work that needs to get done for him to get his strength back to where it needs to be.

That said, I'm not a therapist, so wont' comment further then that!

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Yes.

If you’re alluding to how good Dermott looks in that picture and should signify that he should be ready for opening night, let me remind you that there’s a big difference between going out and doing normal day to day things in everyday life and being in sufficient enough shape to compete in a sport at the highest level possible.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Yes.

If you’re alluding to how good Dermott looks in that picture and should signify that he should be ready for opening night, let me remind you that there’s a big difference between going out and

Ive actually been thinking about it for a while now. The picture just came across my timeline and is coincidental.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
When I've had shoulder issues, I could not lift a grown man on my back. Looks like he's healing up fine.

Reminder: Hyman and Dermott have access to the best possible sports medicine and rehabbing pretty much in the world and they are both young and in amazing shape. As such their recovery is going to be a hell of a lot faster than than just about everyone who doesn't have access to multi-million dollar resources the Leafs have access to.

We've repeatedly seen players come back early from injuries. Both may very well miss no time, or they may miss a month or two. But I would not be surprised if they were both ready come game one. on the other hand, it may be useful for the team, even if they are near ready, to still put one or both of them on the the LTIR for the first 10 games for additional reasons.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm going to say yes. We saw what Lupul was up to for all that time he was on the LTIR. Being able to fool around and being able to play in the NHL are different things. I'd presume we're just going to have to wait for them to fully recover to game shape levels.

Sure, if they recover faster than expected that's great. We could use them. But, I'd lean on it taking some time.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
When I've had shoulder issues, I could not lift a grown man on my back. Looks like he's healing up fine.

Reminder: Hyman and Dermott have access to the best possible sports medicine and rehabbing pretty much in the world and they are both young and in amazing shape. As such their recovery is going to be a hell of a lot faster than than just about everyone who doesn't have access to multi-million dollar resources the Leafs have access to.

We've repeatedly seen players come back early from injuries. Both may very well miss no time, or they may miss a month or two. But I would not be surprised if they were both ready come game one. on the other hand, it may be useful for the team, even if they are near ready, to still put one or both of them on the the LTIR for the first 10 games for additional reasons.

Sure, but being game shape and playing in a very physical sport at the highest level is different. I am still betting they will miss at least 1 month. You think Hyman's reconstructed knee is going to be ready to take the rigors of an NHL game in October? Be realistic. Realistically, I would expect him back in late November at the earliest.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They will both be fine. When they say 6mths, athletes take 4mths so they will be ready.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Shoulder injuries are tricky, you can be strong in one direction/angle and very weak in others

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would be great if they did not, but I think that'd be optimistic at this point. NHL games are something different. I figure it will also take time to get back up to game speed as well.

mccabe2424

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
Pretty sure I saw an interview with dubas the other day and he mentioned Dermott may not be back till January

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Given what the team said back in early May, Hyman's missing the first month of the season. Dermott, most likely longer than that. It's one thing to have your arm outstretched like that. It's a completely different thing to do things like torque it while shooting, making contact with the boards when getting hit, and last but not least, weightlifting. I messed up my right shoulder from doing dumbell presses with bad form. I could do most normal things with no problem, but when a decent amount of resistance was involved, it freaking hurt. I took me laying off of it for a good 6 months before it was back to normal. Obviously Dermott's got better medical assistance and rehab that I did (since I really did neither), but if it required surgery, it's going to take a long time to heal. If he pushes to get in too early, one wrong hit could ruin months of progress. I'd be okay waiting until January if it meant he would be 100% for sure.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Athletes injury times often seem inflated. I could see either starting the season if they’re recovering well.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Yes.

If you’re alluding to how good Dermott looks in that picture and should signify that he should be ready for opening night, let me remind you that there’s a big difference between going out and doing normal day to day things in everyday life and being in sufficient enough shape to compete in a sport at the highest level possible.
Hell yah there is a difference one causes Adrenaline best drug ever!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd assume there's a major difference between a functioning shoulder/knee for everyday life and the shoulder/knee of a pro athlete.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I have absolutely no idea the full extent of their injuries, the success of their surgeries, their rehab plan, or how their progress is going. Therefore, I will say they will not miss any time.

#uninformedinternetopinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad