Injury Report: Will Hyman and Dermott actually miss games?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He ain’t ready, and won’t be, until he can run and spin him around like a real dad.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Hyman should take at least 9 months before returning. The evidence is there for waiting that long.

Look what happened to Robby fabbri

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
When I've had shoulder issues, I could not lift a grown man on my back. Looks like he's healing up fine.

Reminder: Hyman and Dermott have access to the best possible sports medicine and rehabbing pretty much in the world and they are both young and in amazing shape. As such their recovery is going to be a hell of a lot faster than than just about everyone who doesn't have access to multi-million dollar resources the Leafs have access to.

We've repeatedly seen players come back early from injuries. Both may very well miss no time, or they may miss a month or two. But I would not be surprised if they were both ready come game one. on the other hand, it may be useful for the team, even if they are near ready, to still put one or both of them on the the LTIR for the first 10 games for additional reasons.

another reminder: he’s not lifting the grown man overhead using his shoulders.

so this pic really isn’t any indication of anything. if he had an injury that effected his ability to hinge forward, like a deadlift movement, then I’d say this pic MIGHT be an indicator that he’s not far off recovery.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Like I said in previous posts, Hyman has already been spotted downtown walking at a fast pace on a treadmill, also with no sign of a limp. I wouldn't be surprised if hes back in time or a couple of weeks into the season.

As for Dermott, all joking aside I don't think Leafs management and doctors would be too thrilled seeing him in a pic doing what he is doing. Any slight movement by the guy on top and he can land awkwardly on his shoulder to damage it again. If it weren't strong enough I don't think anyone would be doing what he is. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dermott participating in training camp at full speed.

Sports medicine the Leafs have is way more advanced then any of us having the surgeries that Hyman and Dermott have had. Recovering is a full time job for these guys not part time like any of us and laying on a couch or sitting at a desk. They are strengthening these injuries daily for many hours a day.

They will both be fine.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I suspect there will be no rush at first to get them back as they will represent some banked cap space but I'd like to see them both playing meaningful games by December. This is an important year for Dermott IMO.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We all know that the Leafs stated timeframe for their injuries predicts them to miss October.

Are we actually sure of this? Is anyone familiar with how accurate these timlines are? Im always skeptical of things of this nature. Teams have a hard enough time gauging recovery times that number in days and weeks, forget about months.

Like, heres Dermott lifting a grown man on his back. Does that seem like someone whos missing hockey games three months from now for upper body injuries?

Is Dermott...you know?

Is he?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I have had acl surgery

Took a year to recover.

To get into game shape with all the best doctors and rehab, Hyman is looking at probably 8 months minimum.

Ya, I did my MCL and meniscus (not as bad as ACL) and I was 6 months until I could skate, a year for game shape.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Hyman should take at least 9 months before returning. The evidence is there for waiting that long.

Look what happened to Robby fabbri

When was his surgery? Are we looking at a February return? If so I'd expect him to be pretty limited in his contribution. Look how bad Nylander was last year with 2.5 months off and no injury

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I hope Hyman takes his time. The new russian guy is a harder worker and a good pro but always has more offensive talent than Hyman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad