Will Flyers pursue Iginla?

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
We're either out in the 1st round or out in the 2nd round.
How much revenue does a team get from two rounds of playoffs? Here's the better question. What percentage of a year's revenue does two rounds make up when the season in question has been shortened by 34 games?

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
Hartnell-giroux-iginla
Simmonds-schenn-briere
Voracek-couturier-read
Fedotenko-talbot-rinaldo

With everyone healthy thats a pretty decent forward lineup...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
funny I was all aboard the Semin train last off season, no one wanted any parts of him then. He looked great in last years playoffs. Like the only one that cared in OT against the Rangers. The enigma attitude and uncaring personality are figments of the imagination. They would never even be brought up if he wasn't Russian

I know. It's like how nobody supported my recommendation to sign Conacher and trade for Marleau. Nobody has any foresight around here!

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I say no. We have made our bed and now we must sleep in it. We have a nice core of young guys, Giroux, Read, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, McGinn, Laughton and veterans like Briere, Hartnell, Talbot. Add through free agency, b/c in my mind addition (Iginla) through subtraction (1st rounder, top prospect, etc...) is not the way to go.

We are in a re-build, and as Homer stated in 24/7, "I'm not sure if we are going to be a better team or a worse team, but we are going to be a different team."

I want to win the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup just as bad as the next guy, but we need to stay on course.

Adding Igilna does not make the Flyers a Stanley Cup championship team.

I agree. Stay on course. Do not get rid of any futures for a rental player.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
funny I was all aboard the Semin train last off season, no one wanted any parts of him then. He looked great in last years playoffs. Like the only one that cared in OT against the Rangers. The enigma attitude and uncaring personality are figments of the imagination. They would never even be brought up if he wasn't Russian

I'd like Semin - but for 7 million? No way.

rban*

Plus, Iginla has played a lot and has played hard. The risk is enormous that upon coming to Philly, he'd be injured like other hard hitting tough heart and soul veterans with a lotta miles on them who have come here, see: Prongs and Forsberg.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I agree with the general sentiment here....I live in Calgary and have watched Iggy through the years and though I hate the Flames, the guy has been tremendous on and off the ice but he is clearly starting to slow down...he has seen his best days and simply does not fit our young team going forward....Flame fans at Calgary puck are saying they would want B. Schenn for him...NO WAY....

If we could have gotten the Iggy of 2-3 years ago, by all means get him...but not now....if he comes to free agency I wouldn't mind making a stab at him...but certainly not at the cost of any of our young and upcoming talent....

FlyingHigh28*

How much revenue does a team get from two rounds of playoffs? Here's the better question. What percentage of a year's revenue does two rounds make up when the season in question has been shortened by 34 games?

Ed Snider honestly doesn't care about money when it comes to the Flyers. I think he's proven that w/ the Shea Weber offersheet, the Bryz contract, etc. He wants to win above all else, so if you tell him he can either get the franchise defenseman this team desperately needs, or he can make the playoffs and go out in the 1st round, I think he'd choose option 1.

Now whether Ed and the guys around him have convinced (deluded) him into thinking this team can contend is anyone's guess. But if he doesn't think they're real contenders, he's not just going to push it for the heck of it and for money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad