Will Flyers pursue Iginla?

Gary83*

People think that Iginla will cost a 1st + a prospect at the deadline???

That's absolutely crazy. A 35+ player with 1 year left (at 7+ mil??) on his deal would NOT cost that much. Basically, if the Flames trade him they are doing it so they can get SOMETHING for him.

Flames are inevitably going to be looking at a total rebuild within the next 2-3 years. They have some pieces already in place...such as Baertschi.

Iginla would only be traded to a contender probably not in the West. The way things are looking for the Flyers, unless they get a nice win streak going we look like a .500 team.

If we are on the bubble at the deadline for a 5-8 playoff spot, I'd expect a move like this to be made. Iginla would probably be great with Giroux for a couple years.

This idea is actually not that crazy! Honestly, I think Iginla wants a cup and he's not gonna resign for a bottom-basement team for the rest of his career. He's carried the Flames for a number of years and the least they could do for him would be to trade him to a contender at the deadline.

As a passer by, what do you think Iginla's value is? Eric Wellwood and a 2013 7th round pick?

Take a look at past trades, Iginla will easily fetch a first and very good if not excellent young roster player/prospect.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
As a passer by, what do you think Iginla's value is? Eric Wellwood and a 2013 7th round pick?

Take a look at past trades, Iginla will easily fetch a first and very good if not excellent young roster player/prospect.

For Iginla I would do:

Nick Cousins + 2nd
Brayden Schenn + 3rd +4th
Straight up for a 1st.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Do you expect a team to mortgage a future 1st liner AND a 1st for a one year rental?

I dont think he will get a top prospect and a 1st, but I do see a 1st and a prospect with some good upside. Especially during the trade deadline, teams are always in need of a top 6 winger (even if Iginla is getting old)

SAINDON

May 9, 2012
The First State
I say no. We have made our bed and now we must sleep in it. We have a nice core of young guys, Giroux, Read, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, McGinn, Laughton and veterans like Briere, Hartnell, Talbot. Add through free agency, b/c in my mind addition (Iginla) through subtraction (1st rounder, top prospect, etc...) is not the way to go.

We are in a re-build, and as Homer stated in 24/7, "I'm not sure if we are going to be a better team or a worse team, but we are going to be a different team."

I want to win the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup just as bad as the next guy, but we need to stay on course.

Adding Igilna does not make the Flyers a Stanley Cup championship team.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
:facepalm::loony:

You think this team can compete if healthy? What about this team says championship? We haven't beaten a playoff quality team yet. We've gotten outhustled and outworked by teams that were on the 2nd leg of a back to back and we were on a couple days rest, we have no #1 defenseman, all of our sophomores are slumping, etc.

This team couldn't do anything in the playoffs last year and we've taken a clear step backwards by losing Jagr, Carle, JVR and replacing them w/ L. Schenn, Gervais, etc. And on top of all that, Lavy is still the coach, meaning that any team that plays any type of good playoff defense (NJ, NYR, etc.) will shut us down in 5 games or less guaranteed.

Yea we are terrible might as well not even watch the games this year :help: :shakehead

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I say no. We have made our bed and now we must sleep in it. We have a nice core of young guys, Giroux, Read, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, McGinn, Laughton and veterans like Briere, Hartnell, Talbot. Add through free agency, b/c in my mind addition (Iginla) through subtraction (1st rounder, top prospect, etc...) is not the way to go.

We are in a re-build, and as Homer stated in 24/7, "I'm not sure if we are going to be a better team or a worse team, but we are going to be a different team."

I want to win the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup just as bad as the next guy, but we need to stay on course.

Adding Igilna does not make the Flyers a Stanley Cup championship team.

I agree 100%. Next year will be interesting. Deep draft. Keep our picks. Sign a strong FA winger.

A lot of leadership will potentially be gone. This team may get a helluva a lot younger. Leaders/vets possibly gone: Briere (amnesty), Shelley, Feds, Knuble, Kimmo, Lilja, Leighton.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
A name to watch if the Flyers do turn it around, or even next year through free agency is Semin. He has been playing pretty well down in Carolina. He hasn't lite the lamp as much as he probably would have liked, but is playing like a winner. He is back checking and is playing the most minutes down there I believe(of their forwards). He gets knocked all the time, but nobody seems to be mentioning him now. That of course is if Carolina is out of the hunt and the Flyers are in it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A name to watch if the Flyers do turn it around, or even next year through free agency is Semin. He has been playing pretty well down in Carolina. He hasn't lite the lamp as much as he probably would have liked, but is playing like a winner. He is back checking and is playing the most minutes down there I believe(of their forwards). He gets knocked all the time, but nobody seems to be mentioning him now. That of course is if Carolina is out of the hunt and the Flyers are in it.

He looks like he did years ago. He needed a change of scenery. I've seen quite a few of their games, and he really stands out.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
He looks like he did years ago. He needed a change of scenery. I've seen quite a few of their games, and he really stands out.

Yep, the change in scenery definitely has helped him. Even in the off season, if he continues to play the way he is, I wouldn't mid the Flyers looking at signing him(If they miss out on Perry and Iggy). He is still relatively young(28), but wouldn't want him at 7 million a year. Maybe something closer to 6 for two years wouldn't be a bad deal. He just needs too keep playing this way. The UFA market could be strong with wingers for Giroux finally.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep, the change in scenery definitely has helped him. Even in the off season, if he continues to play the way he is, I wouldn't mid the Flyers looking at signing him(If they miss out on Perry and Iggy). He is still relatively young(28), but wouldn't want him at 7 million a year. Maybe something closer to 6 for two years wouldn't be a bad deal. He just needs too keep playing this way. The UFA market could be strong with wingers for Giroux finally.

Yeah, 7 mil is a bit much. The cap is dropping. I'd prefer something between 5 and 5.5 mil, closer to 5. He's not producing loads of goals with his own shot but he's making plays and offense happen.

Though one could argue we need more people who produce goals.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I agree 100%. Next year will be interesting. Deep draft. Keep our picks. Sign a strong FA winger.

A lot of leadership will potentially be gone. This team may get a helluva a lot younger. Leaders/vets possibly gone: Briere (amnesty), Shelley, Feds, Knuble, Kimmo, Lilja, Leighton.
Of those seven players, five of them can (and most will) be replaced with a flick of the wrist.

I know people love the idea of going hungry. It's noble (or whatever) to sacrifice for your future. But don't get your hopes up. Moves will be made this season.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
funny I was all aboard the Semin train last off season, no one wanted any parts of him then. He looked great in last years playoffs. Like the only one that cared in OT against the Rangers. The enigma attitude and uncaring personality are figments of the imagination. They would never even be brought up if he wasn't Russian

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
Nick Cousins + 2nd
Brayden Schenn + 3rd +4th

The most troubling thing about this post is how you compare Brayden Schenn (the former best prospect in the league with all the tools to be the next Shane Doan - who just so happens to be in a not entirely unexpected sophmore slump) to Nick Cousins (An overager ripping up a Candian minor league in the same way that Carcillo and Lappy did at one time). Just a small downgrade in pick difference there, eh?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
funny I was all aboard the Semin train last off season, no one wanted any parts of him then. He looked great in last years playoffs. Like the only one that cared in OT against the Rangers. The enigma attitude and uncaring personality are figments of the imagination. They would never even be brought up if he wasn't Russian
Of course we did :)

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The most troubling thing about this post is how you compare Brayden Schenn (the former best prospect in the league with all the tools to be the next Shane Doan - who just so happens to be in a not entirely unexpected sophmore slump) to Nick Cousins (An overager ripping up a Candian minor league in the same way that Carcillo and Lappy did at one time). Just a small downgrade in pick difference there, eh?

What's even worse is Cousins and a 2nd or Schenn and a 3rd and a 4th is apparently = to our 1st by itself

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I don't know, the enigma/cancer thing was pretty well established by comments from people who actually played with him. After we lost Jagr I was open to signing him for something reasonable for a year. I'm still open to it, but I wouldn't risk dumping a lot of years and a lot of cap on him. He was a major part of the Caps and it didn't work well. I don't get the sense that he's considered a major part of Carolina.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Well, I agree except comparing Cousins to Carcillo. Carcillo highest point total was 66. Lappy you are correct, but as we all know the OHL and QMJL are completely different.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
:facepalm::loony:

You think this team can compete if healthy? What about this team says championship? We haven't beaten a playoff quality team yet. We've gotten outhustled and outworked by teams that were on the 2nd leg of a back to back and we were on a couple days rest, we have no #1 defenseman, all of our sophomores are slumping, etc.

This team couldn't do anything in the playoffs last year and we've taken a clear step backwards by losing Jagr, Carle, JVR and replacing them w/ L. Schenn, Gervais, etc. And on top of all that, Lavy is still the coach, meaning that any team that plays any type of good playoff defense (NJ, NYR, etc.) will shut us down in 5 games or less guaranteed.

Jagr played hurt way too often and JVR has been hurt half of the season. The only important loss from last year is Carle. We basically have the same team, with a good Bryz (let's hope he'll keep this up). This team has issues right now, chemistry issues, and yes, Schenn, Voracek and even Couturier aren't playing well atm. But hey, we're not in April yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Voracek, Schenn and Couturier turn it around sooner or later in the season. Also, if he can be healthy, Timonen is a #1.

FlyingHigh28*

Jagr played hurt way too often and JVR has been hurt half of the season. The only important loss from last year is Carle. We basically have the same team, with a good Bryz (let's hope he'll keep this up). This team has issues right now, chemistry issues, and yes, Schenn, Voracek and even Couturier aren't playing well atm. But hey, we're not in April yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Voracek, Schenn and Couturier turn it around sooner or later in the season. Also, if he can be healthy, Timonen is a #1.

Look, I'm not saying we're a lottery team or anything, we've got a decent chance to make the playoffs, but even last year when several members of the team had career years and excellent starts to the playoffs, we were nowhere close to a cup championship. We came up way short. So I'm not optimistic about our chances @ the Cup this year. I look at us like the Sixers last year. We're a playoff team likely, we've got a chance to make a little bit of noise, but we're not a serious contender for the cup, or even for getting to the cup finals, or the conference finals for that matter. We're either out in the 1st round or out in the 2nd round. It would take superhuman Bryz to get us further than that.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011

I was on board with signing Semin especially to a one year deal. If they could acquire him at the deadline that would be awesome because you could give him a trial with Giroux. If they have chemistry I'd be fine with something long term. Carolina should be in the playoff hunt tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad