Will Fletcher be the Wild's GM next year?

Will he be back?

• Yes

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Simple question. Not SHOULD he be back - WILL he be back?

For the first time, I think I've finally resigned to the fact that he probably should he let go. Maybe it will happen via "mutual agreement" with his contract up.

Reminder that Russo wrote this article 10 days ago with this headline:
"Playoff berth despite rash of injuries may earn Chuck Fletcher new contract"
Playoff berth despite rash of injuries may earn Chuck...

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Kicked upstairs is my guess - retains Executive VP title and becomes 'senior hockey advisor' or some such. Brent Flahr takes over as GM.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Chuckie cheese will be back. The rink is full all season. What’s the problem?

11-20-3-22-spurg were all hurt.
Just bad luck that 22-3-16 all can’t score in 5 games.
Just bad bounces that 3-16 like to give the puck away in the D zone.
Just bad luck Doobs is trying to block shots that are going 10 feet wide.
Chuck is fine.
Trade away Seeler right away.
He’s got guts and determination.
No business in a Wild sweater.

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
Simple question. Not SHOULD he be back - WILL he be back?

For the first time, I think I've finally resigned to the fact that he probably should he let go. Maybe it will happen via "mutual agreement" with his contract up.

Reminder that Russo wrote this article 10 days ago with this headline:
"Playoff berth despite rash of injuries may earn Chuck Fletcher new contract"
Playoff berth despite rash of injuries may earn Chuck...
Russo was on the radio yesterday or Thursday saying since he wrote that article he had heard alot of rumblings that its the opposite and his job is ip in the air

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
However, even before Friday’s ghastly performance, it’s believed Leipold had started to rethink the decision. There is a faction of Leipold confidants who believe that after nine seasons with Fletcher at the helm, it’s time for a fresh set of eyes and a new plan in order to get the Wild over the hump. They’ve been in Leipold’s ear, and Fletcher’s moves have been analyzed and dissected.

Russo in the Athletic. Subscribe, it's worth it.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Would have said yes before this series but there was quite a lot of really bad things exposed. Now i think it is time for a new start.

That doesn’t mean that i think a new GM will have answers but i think it will happen.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wouldn't surprise me either way, but I still lean a little toward him staying. I think the exception would be if they have a specific GM in mind that they'd like to bring in, but there aren't any names that jump to mind. Maybe if they want to pry Dubas out of Toronto or something? No idea.

They were after Yzerman before he took the Tampa Bay job. Maybe they'll lure him away with the higher tax rates and colder weather :naughty:

hipchecks

#MakeStaalGreatAgain
Mar 3, 2015
Minnesota
This is the first year I confidently believe there's a chance he's let go. With his contract expiring, it's as good a time as any to part ways. Still, I voted yes because I think the Suter/Parise injuries will be his saving grace.

DC4MVP

Visit Our Site For Online Coaching/Film Breakdown!
Dec 23, 2016
Minnesota
www.dchockey.net
Do I want him back? No.

We're tight against the cap so that rules out bringing in a big UFA. We're not seeing our mid-20's players like Granlund, Coyle, Nino take big steps forward like we thought they would/need them to due to the cap. We're still a few years away from seeing the young crop of guys like Kunin, Greenway, Eriksson-Ek, and Kaprizov come into their own.

So besides a few subtractions and small additions, we're still going to be stuck in a "Groundhog Day" time loop of being just good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to make a serious run. Which also means we're going to be picking in the bottom 3rd of the draft for the foreseeable future.

He's pinned us in this corner of mediocrity. Even if he does get moved out of the GM's office, the next guy (GMBF?) is still going to be pinned in this corner unless he makes some trades to free up cap and we say goodbye to some of our mid-20's players or Zach gets sick of being hurt and retires, and Mikko retires after his contract runs out after next season

Do I think he comes back? Yes.

I think he'll use the "But Craig! Look what happened with the injuries and look at all the young talent coming up!" and get himself 2 more years to see the younger guys on the ice.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Do I want him back? No.

We're tight against the cap so that rules out bringing in a big UFA. We're not seeing our mid-20's players like Granlund, Coyle, Nino take big steps forward like we thought they would/need them to due to the cap. We're still a few years away from seeing the young crop of guys like Kunin, Greenway, Eriksson-Ek, and Kaprizov come into their own.

So besides a few subtractions and small additions, we're still going to be stuck in a "Groundhog Day" time loop of being just good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to make a serious run. Which also means we're going to be picking in the bottom 3rd of the draft for the foreseeable future.

He's pinned us in this corner of mediocrity. Even if he does get moved out of the GM's office, the next guy (GMBF?) is still going to be pinned in this corner unless he makes some trades to free up cap and we say goodbye to some of our mid-20's players or Zach gets sick of being hurt and retires, and Mikko retires after his contract runs out after next season

Do I think he comes back? Yes.

I think he'll use the "But Craig! Look what happened with the injuries and look at all the young talent coming up!" and get himself 2 more years to see the younger guys on the ice.
There's nothing stopping them from going after any and all UFA's that they might want.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So who's got a list of guys they'd replace Fletcher with?
It's not hard to look at the teams that are successful and try to see who is responsible for it. Could probably start with winnipeg's director of amateur scouting

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Fletcher is gone, to many wrong decisions in the past year. The Vegas Draft and the stagnant cap really dagger'd him.

I vote for Flahr only because it will speed the process up. Russo mentioned that any new GM will want a year to watch the Wild before making any changes. I would like to see changes before the start of next season. Also seems he is due for promotion.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Fletcher is gone, to many wrong decisions in the past year. The Vegas Draft and the stagnant cap really dagger'd him.

I vote for Flahr only because it will speed the process up. Russo mentioned that any new GM will want a year to watch the Wild before making any changes. I would like to see changes before the start of next season. Also seems he is due for promotion.
You know the stagnant cap is a great point. There's probably no way owners expected the cap to basically remain the same five years in a row, and that obviously hurt cap teams more than non-cap teams. Not an excuse, just an interesting point.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

The guy would never get hired if that was his plan.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Yeah idk. Russo mentioned on KFAN this morning that any new GM hire would result in a step back and that they would most likely want a year to see the players before any major decisions(summarizing). If that's true I would think Flahr, being in the organization, would eliminate the need for the delay.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah idk. Russo mentioned on KFAN this morning that any new GM hire would result in a step back and that they would most likely want a year to see the players before any major decisions(summarizing). If that's true I would think Flahr, being in the organization, would eliminate the need for the delay.
Yeah, I heard him say it as well. Makes zero sense. The 1st question any potential new GM will be asked is "what changes would you make"? If the guys answer is "probably wait a year or so before I do anything", the interview would be over.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's not hard to look at the teams that are successful and try to see who is responsible for it. Could probably start with winnipeg's director of amateur scouting
Possibly. Fenton's another name I see brought up often. Not sure how I feel about someone like Lombardi.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Paul Fenton - Nashville AGM, runs Nashville's draft
Dean Lombardi - Former Kings GM, currently working in w/ Flyers
Julien BriseBois - Lightning AGM
Bill Guerin - Penguins AGM
Tom Fitzgerald - Devils AGM
Mike Vellucci - Hurricanes AGM & Director of Hockey Ops (Scouting & Player Development), Charlotte Checkers (AHL) Head Coach

If I had a Top 3 they would be:

1. Julien BriseBois
2. Paul Fenton
3. Bill Guerin

Needless to say, Fletcher's time is up. 9 years and he really doesn't have much to show for his tenure other than 6 consecutive playoff disappointments. This organization has gone backwards instead of forward. How he handled the expansion draft, Koivu's new contract, the absolutely horrendous trades, failures to provide Iowa with anything of substance.

Now that I think of it, I bet it'll be hard to find a GM wanting to come here to correct all the f***ups Fletcher made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad