will ESPN or ESPN2 televise the draft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

primeaugurl25

Jan 7, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Usually, they will show all of the first round, and if time permits, some of the second round. Because first round are always really slow, that's why they go with a 3 hours schedule.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There was also the one year when Darryl Kile died and we missed half the draft because of that coverage. I think it was 2002 because HF was in a frenzy because Americans missed most of the middle part of that coverage and a lot at the end.

I remember a thread starting like this after the Sharks made their pick:

"who the hell is mike morris"

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
go kim johnsson said:
There was also the one year when Darryl Kile died and we missed half the draft because of that coverage. I think it was 2002 because HF was in a frenzy because Americans missed most of the middle part of that coverage and a lot at the end.

I remember a thread starting like this after the Sharks made their pick:

"who the hell is mike morris"
That was 2002 because I missed Jonas Johannus' selection for the Avs.

Last year someone kept forcing teams to take time outs with late trade calls which made the first round run long.

Usualy it's some preshow, and dive right in. I bet they'll tell Wash and Pittsburgh not to screw around.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Pens4ever said:
As do I...I get real angry when i see the NFL draft on for its entirety and then the NHL gets MAYBE the whole first round.

Thats because most of the players drafted, fans could watch them all year play ncaa football. With hockey, you have 18 year olds from countries and leagues all over the world that no one outside of scouts, the occasional video clip/tape, and the international tourneys.

Everyone selected in the nfl draft, a fan most likely would have heard of before. During/After the third round of the nhl draft, you have no clue of some of the guys unless you vastly follow the prospects(and i mean vastly).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
McNasty0927 said:
I wish the NHL Draft got as much air time and exposure as the NFL Draft
As fashionable as it is to bash our sport for being badly managed, bad on tv, and never getting exposure, keep in mind baseball just had its draft in the middle of the season and didn't televise it. They also don't allow trading of picks before they are taken.

I feel a little tinge of pride when I think of that.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The NFL has a much larger market in the US and chances are you've heard of the guy your team is taking in the first round.

I've been a hockey fan all my life but until 2000 I never really knew any of the prospects. Alright we got Konstantin Koltsov! Who the **** is that? HE HAD ONE POINT?!

And so forth...

I knew of every player the Steelers picked in the NFL draft and had watched quite a few of them, the NHL draft? Even though hockey is my first sport I'll probably know of half of our picks and I've never seen any of them play...

Plus these guys jump from the NCAA right into the NFL, no waiting time. Alot of these guys will even be starting for their repsective clubs this season...the NHL...maybe a couple.

The fact that it's televised...I'll take it.

And the MLB joke is just a disgrace, the fact that trades aren't allowed is horrible, San Diego wasted the first overall pick on a guy who should have gone around 15th because they were worried they couldn't sign the best player in the draft, who ended up falling all the way to 12th.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
X-SHARKIE said:
Wow three hours :)

I hope I get to see the Sharks pick at 28th....Last year they cut it before the Sens picked I think...I believe we saw the Ducks pick Perry...Anywho... Wasn't last year just an hour? Or am I lost....Great to see 3 hour coverage.

I remember seeing Ottawa pick Eaves but we just missed St Louis take Shawn Belle.

It was definitely more than an hour last year but for some reason I have it stuck in my mind that it was just two instead of three. Then I again I may be lost.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
mums said:
if yes, what time ?

in the past they have televised the first 3 hours of the 1st round.

thanks !
Where I live (Illinois) ESPN 2 covers round 1 only and after that its camp out by the radio and computer.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
VAThrasher said:
Uh, has anyone seen the NHL's ratings in the U.S.? I hate to say it, but I'm glad we're getting 3 hours. Sometimes I think we HF'ers make up about 1/2 the viewing audience.

Yes, its all we have heard about for the past year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
McNasty0927 said:
What is a good website to be logged on to during the draft past the first round?

I know the Penguins picked it up on the radio, pretty useful.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
McNasty0927 said:
What is a good website to be logged on to during the draft past the first round?

NHL.com will have the fastest results I believe. Generally speaking with all drafts, after the first 35 picks, I'd advise to go do something for a couple hours, then come back and see who got picked.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Brodeur said:
NHL.com will have the fastest results I believe. Generally speaking with all drafts, after the first 35 picks, I'd advise to go do something for a couple hours, then come back and see who got picked.
There's actually no good place for up to the minute picks. NHL.com is pretty slow, and so is ESPN. And TSN's lucky to have the picks updated by the end of the day. I don't understand why they can't be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad