Speculation: Will Elliott re-sign in St Louis?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Resign/re-sign and reigns/reins in one post. OCD intensifies.

STL likely won't be able to match another team giving him starter's money on the UFA market, so I can't see it.

If he continues to play poor for the remainder of this season, I don't see him getting anything huge on his new deal. I was thinking his new deal would be $4.5-$5 million AAV and at 3 or 4 years or so. But it will likely be lower than that if he doesn't recover from the bad start.

I'm not sure if he'll get a starters job if he falters this job. I don't think anyone will wanna commit to him as the clear cut starter, but maybe as a 1a/1b like he was in St Louis. Or a team that's slowly transitioning a young goalie into a starters role.

I think things can still turn around for Elliott this year, Cam Talbot had an .889 save percentage after 13 games last season and around Thanksgiving. He finished with a .917 on the season, which is where I think Elliott can finish around. I don't think Elliott is a .925-.930 goalie like he was in St Louis for a couple years. Maybe if he played very or more sparingly, but not as a number 1.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not saying Allen is playing great, but it's definitely not because of him that we can't score. The whole team is playing like garbage. Like Oberyn pointed out above, Price wouldn't help us win at this point.
Uh, the whole team is sucking, including him.

He has a .896 save%. You are absolutely ****ing kidding yourself if you don't think Price would be doing better. The team's been bad but Allen's awful goals are making it worse and killing their confidence. And Allen has a history of this stuff, too.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Allen really has no excuse. A great defensive system and the best D infront of him in the entire NHL.
People crapped on Freddy Andersen the first two weeks non stop. Guy looks brilliant since with that terrible D.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
You either underestimate Price or you overrate the Habs skaters. Blues have a way better team upfront and the best defense in the league.

Or maybe you haven't watched the Blues this season. We keep this **** up Hitchcock will be fired before he can retire.:help:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Or maybe you haven't watched the Blues this season. We keep this **** up Hitchcock will be fired before he can retire.:help:

Bad starts happen. Allen doesnt help. Lets say he'd allow 1 less back-breaking goal per game, you guys would be in pretty good shape.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Resign/re-sign and reigns/reins in one post. OCD intensifies.

STL likely won't be able to match another team giving him starter's money on the UFA market, so I can't see it.

I made this thread at 3 AM, can't cut a guy some slack? :laugh:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
You either underestimate Price or you overrate the Habs skaters. Blues have a way better team upfront and the best defense in the league.

Uh, the whole team is sucking, including him.

He has a .896 save%. You are absolutely ****ing kidding yourself if you don't think Price would be doing better. The team's been bad but Allen's awful goals are making it worse and killing their confidence. And Allen has a history of this stuff, too.

Oh great, people can't take hyperbole when they see it, my bad.

I'm not undervaluing Price, nor am I overvaluing Allen. The Blues have just sucked ever since the first Rangers game. Sure, Allen is not playing well, like I already goddamn admitted for the likes of those who chose to ignore it, but I can say the same for about every player besides Parayko. You would be ****ing kidding yourself if you thought we would be in any better shape in the standings if we just replaced our goaltender. Having any other goalie, even Price, would not help our transition, our defensive zone strategy, our forecheck, our board play, our zone entries, etc.

I don't see how this turned into me suggesting ill of Price, but whatever, I guess I need to more careful when bashing my own team.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I'd like to see it. I don't understand doubling down on a player like DA did with Allen. This is a buyer's market for goalies right now and the Blues have some decent goaltending prospects. Allen withers in the face of adversity. Rewind time and I would've traded Allen in a heartbeat.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Actually a pretty legit question. After the trade you'd have thought Elliott and the Flames would work out a long-term deal, but if things continue to be rocky there, maybe he doesn't sign.

As a Blues fan, I can only hope. I actually would wish for that at this point.

Unfortunately, the organization is probably committed to Allen after the contract they just gave him. But man, he's not very good at all. Elliott may not be a stud either but I was a hell of a lot more confident in him here.

The Flames aren't going to offer him much based on what he's done so far.

The team in front of him is bad, but he hasn't done a whole lot to help himself or the team either. With all the goalies that will be available before the expansion draft I doubt the Flames will make re-signing him a priority.

Phry

Aug 3, 2016
Elliott back to the Blues for a 2nd? Call this whole thing a wash?

You ended up getting 34th overall for him, wouldn't look bad to get him back for a pick in the 50-55 range.

Do this around the deadline and we can finish our season with a Gillies/Johnson tandem. Likely moves the Flames into a selection in the top 3.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Elliott back to the Blues for a 2nd? Call this whole thing a wash?

You ended up getting 34th overall for him, wouldn't look bad to get him back for a pick in the 50-55 range.

Do this around the deadline and we can finish our season with a Gillies/Johnson tandem. Likely moves the Flames into a selection in the top 3.

That's wishful thinking.

The Blues would be foolish to expend assets for someone who requested a trade less than six months ago, especially with the way he's currently playing. It's possible that Elliott regrets his trade request, and it's also possible that the Blues regret facilitating his departure, but I see the combination of those two things as an extraordinarily small possibility.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Allen really has no excuse. A great defensive system and the best D infront of him in the entire NHL.
People crapped on Freddy Andersen the first two weeks non stop. Guy looks brilliant since with that terrible D.

IDK I'd say Gibson has the best D even without Lindholm right now. However Allen definitely has a top 3 overall D (In both blueline and defensive forward depth), however the last few games where Allen was terrible so was the D. Overall though I agree doesn't give him an excuse, as not only do they limit a lot of shots, but the Blues also make sure most are visible, even the "high danger" ones, yet Allen at best this year posted like a 91% save percentage, so yeah...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad