Will COVID affect NHL in 15 years?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Thanks to this pandemic, there are many obstacles to play hockey. And it is significantly tougher for kids.
Kids that wanted to begin with hockey maybe throw away this idea and so (maybe) NHL and ice-hockey community has lost some "Next Ones".
NHL Drafts in 2032-2035 will be interesting to watch and compare the overall quality with other classes.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It won't affect them in 5 years let alone 15 years

3 or 4 years maybe but 5? Probably not. I would agree with that. NHLPA will have to owe the NHL Billions after this next season but that will be paid back in 21/22 and 22/23 with flat caps... as long as the revenue gets back to normal levels for 21/22. Seattle and new US TV deal will help with that. People will be looking for entertainment after Covid goes away in the next 6-9 months ish

LaTenderness

Feb 9, 2019
House league and rep teams are still going strong here in Peterborough..... in fact playing inter squad games amongst themselves is probably better development then beating up on crappy old Oshawa

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I wouldn't dismiss the OP so quickly, I feel like some of you aren't reading his post(I suspect replies like "it won't affect them in 5 years" think he's asking if we're still going to be in COVID lockdown in 5 years, which he's not). Would-be future NHL players would have been playing their first or valuable developmental years in this 1-2 year span where they will probably go without, it's an interesting subject. And as we know most NHLers started very young, if a would-be NHLer missed his first two years he might have never made it.

All speculative of course and we won't know the impact till it occurs so there isn't much to discuss but it does provide some food for thought.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
COVID-19? Probably not. COVID24 or COVID33? Possibly. Depends what we learn.
We learned that Covid is similar to flu but the reason it infects people in such high rate is because unlike regular flu, you may have Covid and not know it because symptoms don't come until 4 or 5 days, therefor you go out and infect others. If Covid symptoms came right away, this is probably wouldn't even be a pandemic. So the only thing is more and more testing until a vaccine, and in the future take things more seriously when few people report having an unknown virus

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
House leagues, travel teams, and high school hockey have all been impacted in Columbus, Ohio, but hockey will continue to grow here. It is not like other sports are going strong and only hockey is being hurt, so other sports are stealing kids from hockey. All kids’ activities are being impacted. A local dance studio was forced to close. The middle school math cub isn’t meeting this year. Church youth groups aren’t meeting in person. Cub scouts are actually doing more hikes, but they are doing fewer other activities.

I can guarantee you that parents can’t wait to put their kids back in normal activities.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’d argue the 21 and 22 drafts are going to take a substantial hit

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
3 or 4 years maybe but 5? Probably not. I would agree with that. NHLPA will have to owe the NHL Billions after this next season but that will be paid back in 21/22 and 22/23 with flat caps... as long as the revenue gets back to normal levels for 21/22. Seattle and new US TV deal will help with that. People will be looking for entertainment after Covid goes away in the next 6-9 months ish

I'm not even sure about 3 years from now because I think you are right, I think we are done with this by the summer, I expect fans back in stands by October assuming the 21-22 season can begin on time given the late start to this season.

But regardless I expect fans back in stands

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not even sure about 3 years from now because I think you are right, I think we are done with this by the summer, I expect fans back in stands by October assuming the 21-22 season can begin on time given the late start to this season.

But regardless I expect fans back in stands

I have the NHLPA owing the NHL about $2.3B after this next season. That will take at least two seasons to pay back with a flat cap and normal revenue like 18/19. Lots of guess work but this is the numbers I have at the moment. It don't factor in salary deferment but that evens out anyways in the the balance pay back period.

I had two different versions and both indicated to me the break even point is 22/23 or 23/24. And when you read the CBA MOU document, it also has measures around the break even point being around that same point (22/23 or 23/24). It's hard to nail down cause we can't predict the future that accurately. Neither can the NHLPA and NHL. That's what the problem is... what they thought in July has changed and Covid is messing this up. I doubt they thought they would need a Canadian Division back in July

hRgNpk8.jpg

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Wasn't there some press about it taking 7 years for players to pay back the HRR deficit to owners? I'm asking a question versus making a statement. I'm not finding much on this subject though. Thought I read that somewhere .......

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wasn't there some press about it taking 7 years for players to pay back the HRR deficit to owners? I'm asking a question versus making a statement. Thought I read that somewhere .......

I think the new CBA is 6 years long and I do recall reading that article that says Bettman is worried about stressing the system with a flat cap for the entire 6 years. Personally, I think the outstanding balance of a potential $2.5B overpayment after 20/21 is something the owners did not predict back in July. That's about $80M per team each owner has to fork out and get paid back in 2-3 years or more with no return on investment. Bruins owner seems to be the leader in terms of not liking this deal and he has other owners on his side

Players need to engage on that cause at the end of the day, we look back in 5 or 6 years and the 50/50 split evens out. Players want the Owners to fork out way more than what is coming in the next 12 months. It's suppose to be a partner ship and a 50/50 split as the #1 rule. Escrow is meant to bridge the gap by 10% or less. Not 50% or more of discrepancies in projected revenue

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’d argue the 21 and 22 drafts are going to take a substantial hit

Likely means more later round hits due to bad sample size as their draft season. Scouts will have to evaluate their 15-16 years more cause their 17/18 seasons will be limited

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad