Confirmed with Link: Will Butcher wins Hobey Baker Award

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I am cautiously optimistic that he will sign the proffered contract. Not like any other team can give him more money...max ELC is max ELC. And the depth chart here would be the shallowest to compete with in the league. Only questions are how hurt are his feelings (aka, how ROR-like will he be with the grudge holding), and would he rather play AHL for a contender, or NHL/AHL here.

At this point, I think they have to offer him a spot on the opening night roster to entice him to sign...but not like there are that many that deserve it over him at this point. EJ, TB, Zads, Barbs, Bigs...after that, you are looking at Lindholm possibly, Mironov if he comes over, Seimans maybe, Boikov no, and so on. Beauchemin if they cant wheedle his way to VGK or buy him out (one of which needs to happen, but I am not optimistic on that) will take up a roster spot...but sit his butt in the press box for the season. Weircioch if they re-up him, but should be in SA. I think there is room to give him a shot at starting the season, and if he can't hang, then send him down with a clear idea of what he needs to work on. Of course, same could be said of Bigras, Seimans, Lindholm, etc.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I am cautiously optimistic that he will sign the proffered contract. Not like any other team can give him more money...max ELC is max ELC. And the depth chart here would be the shallowest to compete with in the league. Only questions are how hurt are his feelings (aka, how ROR-like will he be with the grudge holding), and would he rather play AHL for a contender, or NHL/AHL here.

At this point, I think they have to offer him a spot on the opening night roster to entice him to sign...but not like there are that many that deserve it over him at this point. EJ, TB, Zads, Barbs, Bigs...after that, you are looking at Lindholm possibly, Mironov if he comes over, Seimans maybe, Boikov no, and so on. Beauchemin if they cant wheedle his way to VGK or buy him out (one of which needs to happen, but I am not optimistic on that) will take up a roster spot...but sit his butt in the press box for the season. Weircioch if they re-up him, but should be in SA. I think there is room to give him a shot at starting the season, and if he can't hang, then send him down with a clear idea of what he needs to work on. Of course, same could be said of Bigras, Seimans, Lindholm, etc.

Just guarantee him a spot, because I don't see what we have to lose. Next season will be development season anyway, so I'm not expecting any great results.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hopefully they don't feel the need to keep him up for too long if they guarantee him a spot. With his skating and size Butcher might just die if he's in the NHL to start next season for longer than a couple of games. Especially if he's taking minutes away from EJ, Zads, Duchene-Return, Barrie, Bigras, Mironov and Lindholm / Barberio / Boikov...as Meloche won't be ready for NHL action until later in the season.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Just guarantee him a spot, because I don't see what we have to lose. Next season will be development season anyway, so I'm not expecting any great results.

Hahaha, the Avs offering a young'n a guaranteed spot? Yea right. If he was an over the hill vet with nothing left to offer they'd offer him captaincy and 40 minutes of ice time, but young kid? Nope.

I do think that Butcher will sign though.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Are these those college rules where he gets drafted but stays in college and then just says forget you chumps and signs with whoever he wants? Because it seems like we could use this guy.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hahaha, the Avs offering a young'n a guaranteed spot? Yea right. If he was an over the hill vet with nothing left to offer they'd offer him captaincy and 40 minutes of ice time, but young kid? Nope.

I do think that Butcher will sign though.
The college UFA bolting threat is almost as overwrought as the Offer Sheet threat.

Not Avs MO to guarantee NHL spots.

They practically are with this crappy roster.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, if he's going to sign with us, I expect it to happen this week.

If I was him, I probably wouldn't. Why not test UFA? Not like he has any loyalty to us after he was told we wouldn't be signing him. But I hope he does anyway.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

If I was him, I probably wouldn't. Why not test UFA? Not like he has any loyalty to us after he was told we wouldn't be signing him. But I hope he does anyway.

Maybe not this week so the optics of skipping the trash fire Rampage he doesn't have to deal with. By the end of the month tho for sure I think.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Was he actually told that though? Or was it just Chambers making stuff up because he gets all frumpy when the Avs don't make NCAA-related decisions.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Was he actually told that though? Or was it just Chambers making stuff up because he gets all frumpy when the Avs don't make NCAA-related decisions.

This. Keep in mind this is the same guy who said the Avs don't like the NCAA right before they drafted Jost, Morrison, and Clurman.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I honestly put 0 stock into Chambers ability not to exaggerate, or take a small bit of info he heard, and extrapolate that into something completely different. Especially since he needs to backup up his "Avs hate NCAA players" narrative that keeps getting proven wrong.

His commentary on the Avs and Butcher has no credibility in my eyes.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Considering it's set at a 2 year ELC it's certainly not money. The question is was it the Avs or the opportunity that drove him to make this decision.

Definetly the Avs. He has/had a great opportunity to make the club here on the worse d corp in the league yet hes deciding to go elsewhere. We are the ugly chick at the dance plain and simple.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Butcher would have had zero shot at making the Avs.

Yeah, and while our NHL defense might be thin, our prospect ranks are swelling. He would have a long list of players ahead of him on D between him and an NHL job. I can see why he would look at our other prospects and conclude that he has a better shot on another team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it's a combination of both, but would you sign with a club that literally sent an employee a year ago to inform your agent the organization that drafted you would not sign you?

It likely wouldn't have happened anyway, but that doesn't mean the Avs didn't mishandle this situation like they've mishandled (and continue to mishandle) so many others.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Never fear good people. For the first time in a long time, our prospect pool is gaining such quality strength & depth, that the loss of someone who doesn't want to play for the best team in the league is no big deal.

He's far down the depth scale anyway.

We wants Avs people, in Avs jerseys when the tide turns and we become dominant again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad