Confirmed with Link: Will Butcher signs with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
What can we expect honestly? I've seen a few highlights and read some scouting reports but that's about it. I'm assuming he'll have a chance to get into the opening night lineup and if not, spend awhile getting top minutes in the AHL? Maybe in the near future be an average #5 or #6 running the number 2 PP? Better? Worse?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What can we expect honestly? I've seen a few highlights and read some scouting reports but that's about it. I'm assuming he'll have a chance to get into the opening night lineup and if not, spend awhile getting top minutes in the AHL? Maybe in the near future be an average #5 or #6 running the number 2 PP? Better? Worse?

I'd put him on par with Mueller, but Butcher can go to the AHL. A step up from Kapla.

He will likely be given a chance to win a spot from Santini or Mueller (or push Mueller to the press box), but he may also need time to develop.

Supposedly he's played RD for Denver the last two years, so that would be huge for us if he can do that at the NHL level.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I feel like Yohann Auvitu got more hype last year then Butcher's getting right now.

I think he has top 4 upside for sure.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm assuming they were comparing him to other notable college UFA's.

I hate that players can bail on teams after 4 years as well, but at least Butcher had a bit of a reason as (from what I understand) he wanted to sign with the Avs after his junior year, but was told they had no interest in signing him.

Would like to see the NHL do something to clean up that rule, but doesn't look like anything will be done anytime soon.

From what I understand they said no during his junior year because Roy didn't want to, Sakic has said they wanted to sign him this year. I think that's what was said at least.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I feel like Yohann Auvitu got more hype last year then Butcher's getting right now.

I think he has top 4 upside for sure.

This news is two hours old, on a Sunday night. Give people a little time to react :laugh:

Plus Auvitu was an overseas pro so people thought he could contribute quicker (and he had the great preseason game against the Rangers that sent expectations through the roof), this kid's still a prospect.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Really hard to project. We'll see in training camp.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
A lot of Avs fans spent a lot of time discrediting him on the main board...

His numbers as a defensemen put him in the same value ballpark as Vesey and Hayes the past 2 years. Butcher was on par/slightly better than Matt Gilroy. The Rangers weren't involved, so the media checked out, but Butcher was a fairly significant signing. He's not a sure bet 3/4 defensemen, but it's possible. He could also end up being a fringe NHL Defensemen, but the former is what makes him significant. We'll see what happens.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Great signing. Makes up for losing Kerfoot. I think he beats out Mueller and makes the team for the spot on the 3rd pairing. We need a power play dman and I think Butcher offensive style will work well with Santini's defensive approach, should the two get paired together.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Great signing. Makes up for losing Kerfoot. I think he beats out Mueller and makes the team for the spot on the 3rd pairing. We need a power play dman and I think Butcher offensive style will work well with Santini's defensive approach, should the two get paired together.

Mueller is not getting 'beat' out of a spot by anyone. We traded a 2nd for him, he's playing.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Mueller is not getting 'beat' out of a spot by anyone. We traded a 2nd for him, he's playing.

Bigger issue is that Mueller is no longer waiver exempt, while Butcher will be.

Let me add: regardless of anything else, this seems like a nice, small signing by Shero. Credit where credit is due. Obviously, this is a bit of a lottery ticket, but...you gotta be in it to win it!

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
I watched him closely for four years developing here in Denver. Here's my take:

UPSIDE: Elite level hockey sense, a player who almost always makes the smart, right play. That element will be very helpful at higher levels, playing with players who also think the game as well as he does. As an outgrowth of hockey sense, he makes a fantastic first pass out of the zone to turbo-charge breakouts. He's also a wise PP QB, who makes good passes and gets long shots through to the net. He's a strong leader, a good character player who makes the others around him better. He makes up for his size and skating deficiencies with very smart angling ability to mitigate disparities. He handles the puck well, and he knows how to play within himself to make the best possible play. He's a winner - a Hobey Baker winner, an NCAA Champion Captain and a a two-time all-American. He's patient, level headed, realistic and future captain material, coachable and eager to learn. He also had represented himself well in international play and is well regarded within USA Hockey.

DOWNSIDE: He's not big and he's not nasty. He's never going to be Chris Pronger, so don't expect that of him. His skating is seen by some as a step slow for the NHL, and at times, they are not wrong - he's not fleet-footed, and he won't dazzle you with stick handling skills. While he's not going to win weightlifting awards, he's strong enough to know his limitations. Some people doubt his ability to go to the next level, but given today's NHL where puck-handling defensemen are at a premium, he will get his shot.

ROLE: Butcher is a solid offensive defenseman who would do well paired with a nasty, stay-at-home defenseman who could allow Butcher to jump into the offensive play and contribute. He's a savvy PP QB who could develop into a solid puck-handler and with his head for the game, a potential team leader. He needs a coach who can put him in positions that play to his strengths.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I watched him closely for four years developing here in Denver. Here's my take:

UPSIDE: Elite level hockey sense, a player who almost always makes the smart, right play. That element will be very helpful at higher levels, playing with players who also think the game as well as he does. As an outgrowth of hockey sense, he makes a fantastic first pass out of the zone to turbo-charge breakouts. He's also a wise PP QB, who makes good passes and gets long shots through to the net. He's a strong leader, a good character player who makes the others around him better. He makes up for his size and skating deficiencies with very smart angling ability to mitigate disparities. He handles the puck well, and he knows how to play within himself to make the best possible play. He's a winner - a Hobey Baker winner, an NCAA Champion Captain and a a two-time all-American. He's patient, level headed, realistic and future captain material, coachable and eager to learn. He also had represented himself well in international play and is well regarded within USA Hockey.

DOWNSIDE: He's not big and he's not nasty. He's never going to be Chris Pronger, so don't expect that of him. His skating is seen by some as a step slow for the NHL, and at times, they are not wrong - he's not fleet-footed, and he won't dazzle you with stick handling skills. While he's not going to win weightlifting awards, he's strong enough to know his limitations. Some people doubt his ability to go to the next level, but given today's NHL where puck-handling defensemen are at a premium, he will get his shot.

ROLE: Butcher is a solid offensive defenseman who would do well paired with a nasty, stay-at-home defenseman who could allow Butcher to jump into the offensive play and contribute. He's a savvy PP QB who could develop into a solid puck-handler and with his head for the game, a potential team leader. He needs a coach who can put him in positions that play to his strengths.

Thanks for this! I don't think many of our fans, if any, have seen him play extensively. We're all just spit balling, using the past Hobey Baker winners and college free agents for context.

Who knows? He could be the next Andy Greene.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
There goes my Shero....

the fact we managed to sign him suggests to me hes been offered a spot tbh

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012

Butcher-Santini. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad