Will Benn and Kane bounce back?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They will have seasons of better production after this I'm sure, but Art Ross production is doubtful with you know who in the league.

I don't see either winning another Art Ross either, but the question was actually "Will they bounce back?" They don't need to win an Art Ross to have "bounced back."

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't see either winning another Art Ross either, but the question was actually "Will they bounce back?" They don't need to win an Art Ross to have "bounced back."

and literally the first thing in his quote was his answer to OPs question

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Every year some all star caliber player has a down year and everyone starts to count them out(see kopitar last year to this year, getzlaf in his down year... list goes on and on) Players occasionally have bad streaks/seasons. No biggy I fully expect both players to be back in top form next season.

Both arnt far off PPG players... not like they are awful.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Bounce back from what?

In 9 NHL seasons Benn has been a PPG player twice. He's on pace for 74-75 points this year which is just about right considering the two PPG seasons he had Dallas was 1st and 2nd in the NHL in scoring. NHL players aren't robots who put up the exact same numbers year after year.

Kane is on pace for 78 points. He's scored between a 72 point pace and an 89 point pace in 8 of his 11 seasons (1 season below and 2 above) so his 78 point pace this year is pretty much on par with his career average. He's also an 11 year vet nearing 1,000 career NHL games. I'm not saying he's necessarily declining but he's probably past his peak. Also, like Benn, the team as a whole is not nearly as potent on offensive. When you don't have the supporting cast, your numbers will likely suffer.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Kane was top 5 in PPG 4 of the last 5 years coming into this year, and the other he was 13th. Combined, from 12-13 to 16-17, he was 3rd in PPG behind Crosby and McDavid. This year he's 33rd. It's definitely a down season.

With all due respect, relative PPG is a terribly poor metric for determining success. More importantly, his average during that time-period is significantly higher than his average season due to his Art Ross-winning career-year 15/16 when he scored at a 1.29 PPG rate, a rate he has never once been close to prior or since.

Patrick Kane isn't quite 1PPG this year, it can hardly be said that he is having a "down" year. His team is worse than it has been in a decade, that certainly hasn't been Kanes fault though.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Really? Kane is near PPG and Benn had major offseason surgery and is near PPG. Both are nearly 30. What kind of bounce back do you expect?

I was going to say something similar.

I don't see either guy as needing to bounce back. Back from what? They're both playing almost exactly to expectations.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
With all due respect, relative PPG is a terribly poor metric for determining success. More importantly, his average during that time-period is significantly higher than his average season due to his Art Ross-winning career-year 15/16 when he scored at a 1.29 PPG rate, a rate he has never once been close to prior or since.

Patrick Kane isn't quite 1PPG this year, it can hardly be said that he is having a "down" year. His team is worse than it has been in a decade, that certainly hasn't been Kanes fault though.

It can be poor when the differences are small, but it's telling when the difference is massive. The fact is a PPG pace isn't the same this year as it has been the last few years. Scoring is up, particularly on the PP, which means the scoring leaders are positively affected even more than the difference in league wide GPG. The high number of players scoring over a PPG is not simply due to good seasons and better competition. It's easier to score this year, yet Kane is scoring less. It's not a horrible year, but it's certainly a down one. Kane should be a top 10 scorer when healthy. His team is worse, but he's had no problems playing with weaker linemates in the past. I think he and the team have generally checked out since they realized it was a lost season though, and I expect him to have a better year next year

Last edited:

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
It can be poor when the differences are small, but it's telling when the difference is massive. The fact is a PPG pace isn't the same this year as it has been the last few years. Scoring is up, particularly on the PP, which means the scoring leaders are positively affected even more than the difference in league wide GPG. The high number of players scoring over a PPG is not simply due to good seasons and better competition. It's easier to score this year, yet Kane is scoring less. It's not a horrible year, but it's certainly a down one. Kane should be a top 10 scorer when healthy. His team is worse, but he's had no problems playing with weaker linemates in the past. I think he and the team have generally checked out since they realized it was a lost season though, and I expect him to have a better year next year

He playing on a different line. Tough to compare playing with Nick Schmaltz and Anisimov (who has been utterly abysmal) to Artemi Panarin. Panarin was atleast producing at a 0.9x rate. Relative to his teammates, he's as dominant as he has been prior.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I would give Kane more the benefit than Benn. Kane has been more consistent up until this year and more dominant, he just missed a lot of games.

I don’t Think Benn is a Art arias threat at all, especially with Seguin on the team. His Art Ross winning year was somewhat of a freak accurance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad