Will Bedard break Forsberg’s WJC record this year?

Will Bedard break Forsberg’s WJC record this year?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 86.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Forsberg set a seemingly unbreakable record in 1993, 31 p in 7 games. Bedard has 14 p in 3 games so far and will likely play more than 7 games. (However he has already beaten up the weakest teams so more competitive matchups awaits).

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
There's no way he's scoring at a 4 point per game pace the rest of the tournament, unfortunately.

We should appreciate him being in the conversation though and the fact that he's doing this still undrafted. Completely crazy!

Reactions: Ben White

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
There's no way he's scoring at a 4 point per game pace the rest of the tournament, unfortunately.

We should appreciate him being in the conversation though and the fact that he's doing this still undrafted. Completely crazy!
Scary to think about how good he’ll be in 3-5 years

Reactions: Dempsey

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
One of the 2 who voted yes so far.

Obviously implies Canada makes finals - but i think he can definitely average 4-5 points a game from here on out. Up to 3 vs Sweden now, for 17 points.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
4 points against Sweden is impressive but he needs 7 point game against Slovakia and it would still be very unlikely so no

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If he has a huge game against Slovakia he has a chance

I think he falls short, but him even being close is so so impressive

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Forsberg's "record" is a fraud one(and I do like him as a player), anyway not really important either way since it's impossible to draw conclusions since not a single player on most teams Bedard face would make team Canada.

Would call it trivia at best.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
no but if he even comes close it will be more impressive since there isn't a team anywhere near as bad as Japan in the tournament

Reactions: severian

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Forsberg's "record" is a fraud one(and I do like him as a player), anyway not really important either way since it's impossible to draw conclusions since not a single player on most teams Bedard face would make team Canada.

Would call it trivia at best.

Why fraud?

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
And what is Austria? 2-35 in goal difference after 4 games.
Japan lost to Sweden 20-1. Japan was a minus 74 in 7 games. Germany was also terrible that year.

This year’s Austria team is bad doubt. Still don’t think Bedard breaks Forsberg’s point total especially since he already go the really easy competition out of the way.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If he has a huge game against Slovakia he has a chance

I think he falls short, but him even being close is so so impressive
I think that he can do it but he won't as the coaching staff held back in that win against Austria.

People saying no really have to give their head a shake as they would have absolutely laughed at anyone suggesting that he would have an 8 point lead over the field after 4 games played.

The NHL is extremely competitive now but Bedard has that "it" factor that Gretzky, Crosby had and Ovi for goal scoring as they just exceed expectations and make everyone go Wow is this really happening.

Voted yes as he very well could but has already been held back by the coaches in one game and will be more focused on winning.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Japan lost to Sweden 20-1. Japan was a minus 74 in 7 games. Germany was also terrible that year.

This year’s Austria team is bad doubt. Still don’t think Bedard breaks Forsberg’s point total especially since he already go the really easy competition out of the way.

Canada had all the chance in the world to beat Austria 20-1 this year too. They went 11-0, just like Sweden did. Then Canada beat Sweden by 5-1, by being the clearly better team.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canada had all the chance in the world to beat Austria 20-1 this year too. They went 11-0, just like Sweden did. Then Canada beat Sweden by 5-1, by being the clearly better team.
Teams do take their foot off the gas you know.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I’m not really getting your point. Bedard is amazing. He didn’t “capitalize” on the weak competition to the same extent as Forsberg in a weaker tournament. The fact that we’re even having the conversation of whether he can get to Forsberg’s point total is ridiculous enough.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Teams do take their foot off the gas you know.

Why should Forsberg suffer because of that?

I’m not really getting your point. Bedard is amazing. He didn’t “capitalize” on the weak competition to the same extent as Forsberg in a weaker tournament. The fact that we’re even having the conversation of whether he can get to Forsberg’s point total is ridiculous enough.

I know it is, and like I wrote earlier in the thread, there's no way he will beat it. I interjected to the incredibly silly argument that Forsberg's record is "fraud".

Gretzky scored all his points i a weaker league as well, where goalies stood up and half the league were chain smoking alcoholics. That doesn't make any of his records "fraud" compared to what McDavid does today.

Reactions: Ben White

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No one is saying that Forsberg should suffer because of it but it is context.

One can easily make the argument that even if Bedard falls a few points short that his performance would be more "impressive " than Foppas given his age and the Japan score.

Like I said when Bedard reached 7 points against Austria the coaches pulled him.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
No one is saying that Forsberg should suffer because of it but it is context.

One can easily make the argument that even if Bedard falls a few points short that his performance would be more "impressive " than Foppas given his age and the Japan score.

Like I said when Bedard reached 7 points against Austria the coaches pulled him.

The quote I responded to initially said that Forsberg's record was a "fraud". You can put all the context in the world around Forsberg's numbers and Bedard's usage, it still won't make him beat it and it doesn't take away anything from Forsberg since there's been plenty of generational talents facing awful teams since. They didn't score 10 points against them, like Forsberg did.

And yes, I basically made that same argument on the very top of the page of this thread.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

Lol. This year’s competition is weaker no doubt. Germany wasn’t that weak. They were -21 in seven games vs strong competition. For example Sweden (who was +38 in the tourney) only beat Germany 4-2. This year both Austria and Germany are underwhelming and Russia isn’t participating. Also WJC was a stronger outing back in the days before pre 20yo players started to join the NHL especially from the European countries. It was more like a true u20 best on best back then. On top of that most WJC’s since the round robin days has had 10 games played for the top 4 teams not 7 like back then which makes it even more impressive.

Forsberg’s stats vs top nations in 1993:
4 vs Canada
5 vs Russia
5 vs Finland
4 vs Czech
2 vs USA

Fraud?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
If he gets within 5 points it will already be more impressive considering era.
It’s not a weaker era dammit :banghead: it was more a best on best tourney back then as especially European countries didn’t send players to the NHL before 20yo. Russia certainly had all their top talents available and this year they’re not even participating… The only argument for Bedard ‘23 over Forsberg ‘93 is age, but players were generally older back then + Forsberg dominated the games in ‘93 in a way Bedard doesn’t sniff this year. Maybe if Bedard could participate when he’s 19 (unlikely) he’d reach that level of dominance. But this year not even close.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

I know it is, and like I wrote earlier in the thread, there's no way he will beat it. I interjected to the incredibly silly argument that Forsberg's record is "fraud".

Gretzky scored all his points i a weaker league as well, where goalies stood up and half the league were chain smoking alcoholics. That doesn't make any of his records "fraud" compared to what McDavid does today.
That wasn’t me who used the word fraud. I wrote skewed by the weak competition. I agree with you.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
That wasn’t me who used the word fraud. I wrote skewed by the weak competition. I agree with you.
Weak competition…
Hm Forsberg had 20 points in 5 games vs the top teams. 4 ppg, when at least the European countries had access to all their top talents at 19 yo. Hm “skewed”? “Weak” competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad