Will Auston Matthews retire as the greatest American born player?

Will Auston Matthews retire as the greatest American player?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You gotta do more in the post season in order to even be in the convo. I think this is too premature to discuss. Regular season achievements are not enough.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He might. He is not close to being a threat to that though. He has a lot to do to approach a player like Modano. Further to get to Leetch. Then there is Brett Hull.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He’s gonna need more accolades to pass players like kane and hull

I’m thinking a Ross, a hart and a Lindsay to go along with a few rockets

or

win a cup or two with Toronto with conn smythe level runs and let the media push him to the top, even if it’s undeserved

realistically I don’t think he does, but he probably falls short of only kane and hull

Brett Hull, Mike Modano, Chris Chelios and Phil Housley existed too

So did Brian Leetch.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Yup him too, Name slipped my mind at the time of posting. He will need a bit more hardware to pass his 3 Norris and 6 time finalist.

only thing chelios is lacking is Playoff success so if Matthews breaks through in the playoffs for a few years then he can provably surpass him, even without a cup

So did Brian Leetch.

Brian leetch had 2 Norris’s, an extra finalist for Norris and a Smythe right? Yea he is probably ahead of Matthews currently as well.

Matthews would need a few more awards then he currently has, but I believe he can surpass leetch by the end of his career

Reactions: snipes

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Oh yeah? Matthews vs. Kane first 5 seasons:
Matthews:
351 points in 334 games 1.05 ppg with 199 goals.
Kane:
369 points in 399 games 0.92 ppg with 126 goals

Of course the kicker is Kane had a cup by this point in his career, but comments like these two are ridiculous as Matthews is already trending to have a significantly more productive career than Kane while being a generational goal scorer at center, it's just a matter of staying healthy and longevity and eventually winning some hardware which is admittedly easier said than done.
Kane continues to age like fine wine. It wasn’t a slight at Matthews and it’s possible but Kaner only gets better and better as the years go by. He’s also got quite the distance head start on hardware.

The productivity of superstars typically peak around 23 statistically which Kane is an anomaly from.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yup him too, Name slipped my mind at the time of posting. He will need a bit more hardware to pass his 3 Norris and 6 time finalist.

only thing chelios is lacking is Playoff success so if Matthews breaks through in the playoffs for a few years then he can provably surpass him, even without a cup
Huh? No Conn Smythe's but three Cups and a lot of tremendous runs where he was a key cog.

Reactions: snipes and DaveG

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't think he does, but it's far too early to say for certain where he's going to end up.

Reactions: DaveG

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Huh? No Conn Smythe's but three Cups and a lot of tremendous runs where he was a key cog.
True, I moreso meant conn smythe vs just a cup, but he was definitely a big piece.
I still believe Matthews can surpass him, but am leaning towards a conn smythe mixed with regular season success now

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
It's very possible that he ends up the best American and Leaf of alltime but it's far to early to tell. He needs to stay a Leaf in order to do that and needs playoff success to be the best American ever. He is tracking well though statistically.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That's a tall mountain to climb between Hull, Chelios, Leetch, Kane.

My money still goes to Frank Brimsek

2x Vezina
2x Cup
Calder
2x AS-1
6x AS-2
2,3,5 Hart finishes

And all in only 10 seasons because he also spent 2 years fighting in WW2 (ages 28 and 29, so 2 prime years)

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Hes gonna need to be MVP of the league at least once. If he doesn't do that I don't think his goal scoring will jump him past Kanes Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay, Conn Smyth and 3 cups (Kane is known to be clutch which will be a big factor in fans eyes).

He has the talent to do it though and lots of runway left

Reactions: MightySelanne8

Mar 26, 2010
I would say he will be in the running for it. AM is a Generational player.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Modano? Suuurree. Hull (Canadianness aside), fun fact was 23 before even making NHL. Matthews is just now 24. I remember watching Hull in the AHL days in Moncton.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hope he does, but I wouldn't think it's particularly likely. Catching Hull, Leetch, Kane and Chelios will be insanely difficult.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Close this thread. This is so dumb.

He is not close to guys like Kane, LaFontaine, Leetch, prime Chelios etc

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
This conversation should not even be had until he wins a cup.

Heck, he hasn't even made it out of the first round yet.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He could, but probably not. He will almost certainly be one of the best players and possibly the best goal scorer of his generation, though.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Kane has him beat for sure
With his 3 Cups, Conn Smythe, Art Ross, Lindsay, Hart

Can’t say I see Matthews winning the scoring title or league MVP anytime soon.

Even Kane aside, Chelios and Hull would be a tall task for him to beat. Matthews has a chance to go down as the best goalscorer but I don’t see it happening for overall player.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad