Will Auston Matthews retire as the greatest American born player?

Will Auston Matthews retire as the greatest American player?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2021
Good luck surpassing the god

51dcc587b12e9.image.jpg

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He’s gonna need more accolades to pass players like kane and hull

I’m thinking a Ross, a hart and a Lindsay to go along with a few rockets

or

win a cup or two with Toronto with conn smythe level runs and let the media push him to the top, even if it’s undeserved

realistically I don’t think he does, but he probably falls short of only kane and hull

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He’s gonna need more accolades to pass players like kane and hull

I’m thinking a Ross, a hart and a Lindsay to go along with a few rockets

or

win a cup or two with Toronto with conn smythe level runs and let the media push him to the top, even if it’s undeserved

realistically I don’t think he does, but he probably falls short of only kane and hull

Chelios?

Reactions: DaveG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He's on a career trajectory that could easily see him pass Hull, Kane and Chelios

So - its possible. I voted no, because thats more likely. But, possible

Reactions: Voight

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Who knows about the future, but so far he's not even better than Modano.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
My God does it bum me out to see how little we appreciate the players we have playing in front of us today. Nothing like a McDavid or Matthews thread to remind me how much people love nostalgia. Modano, Housley? Get out of here seriously. There is nothing that suggests he doesn't have what it takes or have a legit shot to end his career as the best thus far, but it's early.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Patrick Kane exists
kane's too good
Oh yeah? Matthews vs. Kane first 5 seasons:
Matthews:
351 points in 334 games 1.05 ppg with 199 goals.
Kane:
369 points in 399 games 0.92 ppg with 126 goals

Of course the kicker is Kane had a cup by this point in his career, but comments like these two are ridiculous as Matthews is already trending to have a significantly more productive career than Kane while being a generational goal scorer at center, it's just a matter of staying healthy and longevity and eventually winning some hardware which is admittedly easier said than done.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hull was born in Canada, folks. He might have had duel citizenship and he might've chosen to play for Team USA, but he is a Canadian, first & foremost, which is why he was so great. ;)

Kane & Chelios & Housely are Matthews' only real American competition(I don't see Modano as a serious choice). I bet he surpasses them, when it's all said & done.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Oh yeah? Matthews vs. Kane first 5 seasons:
Matthews:
351 points in 334 games 1.05 ppg with 199 goals.
Kane:
369 points in 399 games 0.92 ppg with 126 goals

Of course the kicker is Kane had a cup by this point in his career, but comments like these two are ridiculous as Matthews is already trending to have a significantly more productive career than Kane while being a generational goal scorer at center, it's just a matter of staying healthy and longevity and eventually winning some hardware which is admittedly easier said than done.

Comparing black and white point totals like that without context is disingenuous. Kane’s first years in the league were lower scoring.

Matthews also needs some more individual hardware, and whether it’s fair or not, post season team success is still going to be a factor when considering all time legacy. Matthews also needs to remain elite enough to, at worst, be a top 10 player in league year over year for over a decade.

Matthews certainly has had a great start to his career, but he has a long way to go to Kane.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Comparing black and white point totals like that without context is disingenuous. Kane’s first years in the league were lower scoring.

Matthews also needs some more individual hardware, and whether it’s fair or not, post season team success is still going to be a factor when considering all time legacy. Matthews also needs to remain elite enough to, at worst, be a top 10 player in league year over year for over a decade.

Matthews certainly has had a great start to his career, but he has a long way to go to Kane.
I agree with you, I pretty much stated what you stated and completely agree putting together a career like Kane's is not easy when you factor in longevity. I was just responding to the ridiculous posts I quoted.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Chelios is so friggin underrated. It's him by a mile.

I feel like people on this site only remember his 48 year old season and not his long and spectacular prime.

I would say he comfortably ends up ahead of Modano. Housley is a friggin joke and I don't know why he's being brought up here if it's not a bit. Kane... eh I like Matthews' trajectory a bit more than Kane's but he certainly has a ways to go. And of course Mr. Zero should be considered - Frank Brimsek is probably the greatest goalie of the 30s/early 40s.

Postseason is going to be the biggest issue. So far his postseason performances have ranged from "meh" to bad. Chelios and Kane significantly add to their resume in the postseason.

member 334057

My God does it bum me out to see how little we appreciate the players we have playing in front of us today. Nothing like a McDavid or Matthews thread to remind me how much people love nostalgia. Modano, Housley? Get out of here seriously. There is nothing that suggests he doesn't have what it takes or have a legit shot to end his career as the best thus far, but it's early.
It's not about appreciating the skill level of current players. It's about recognizing that having played 5 seasons does not vault a player to the top of the list of greatest American players. Longevity plays a role in that as well. So many people seem to have trouble differentiating between most skilled and greatest. McDavid for example may be one of the most skilled NHL players ever, but that alone does not make him the greatest, just like Matthews may have one of the best shots ever but that does not automatically make him the greatest among American players.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He certainly could, but it’s too early to say he will or even is likely. He’d have to be a McDavid/Crosby/Ovechkin type to be likely after 5 seasons

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I voted no, but if "possibly" would have be an option I would have gone with it.

I think he has the potential to pass Hull as all time goal leader, but with defensive ability. That puts him among those top guys *if* he can continue to progress and can lead TO to a Cup or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad