WC: Will an NHLless TSN Raise the Profile of the World Championships in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The worst thing that could happen to the WC now would be if Russia actually won a best on best tournament. Russia is the only major hockey country left where casual hockey fans care about the WC, and that is only because they have been disappointed so many times in the big tournaments. We certainly saw in the last two years that most Finnish and Swedish hockey fans have stopped supporting the tournament (and in comparison to here the tickets were a bargain, so don't try that one).

:facepalm: The ticket's were not a bargain this year either, although they were somewhat cheaper than last year. Finland's games still got over million viewers on tv which was normal level and the games sold out or almost sold out Hartwall Areena. The problem was pricing of the tickets for other countries games as many stayed home instead of making the trip. Some Latvian(or Slovakian) poster said he and a bunch of other fans opted not to travel due to high ticket prices.

Please stop trying to twist/spin facts into something completely different. This isn't the first time you've been caught doing it either. Your act is getting more stale than John Cena, you need a gimmick change. Right now, this is the reaction after reading your usual IIHF related posts:

tumblr_mxkqquV7xk1rnjfjfo1_400.gif

Last edited:

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Why would I watch a replay of it at night over lets say, a playoff game? and I misquoted :(

First game against france next year is at 6:45 am here :/ latest is 11 am start time

9 am here. Wake up at 10 ish you're in the second period. Against france not a big deal to miss 20 mins

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
I think the real question here is how long the WC are going to continue with the existing format. Every year more and more calls are made to reform the tournament, not hold it in olympic years, etc. Eventually I can see the IIHF trying some new things.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Part of what makes the WJC such a big deal is that it happens around christmas. People are taking time off of work, college students are between semesters, etc. Everyone can watch!!

A hockey tournament in May is always going to play second fiddle to the Stanley cup playoffs, IMO.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Please stop trying to twist/spin facts into something completely different. This isn't the first time you've been caught doing it either. Your act is getting more stale than John Cena, you need a gimmick change. Right now, this is the reaction after reading your usual IIHF related posts:

Done, I'll stick to facts and reality and you can stick with wrestling.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think the real question here is how long the WC are going to continue with the existing format. Every year more and more calls are made to reform the tournament, not hold it in olympic years, etc. Eventually I can see the IIHF trying some new things.

You really should try to do some research before you post. WC format and schedule has been decided until 2017.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You mean the WWE is not real? Why on earth would a grown man watch it then?

Hmm, why does someone watch Breaking Bad? Or The Walking Dead? Or go to a theater or opera? Are they real or fictional, scripted entertainment? You don't seem to have a grasp on what wrestling is all about or why people watch it. Perhaps you should talk with our aspiring wrestler Global mod Crimson Scorpion?

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Hmm, why does someone watch Breaking Bad? Or The Walking Dead? Or go to a theater or opera? Are they real or fictional, scripted entertainment? You don't seem to have a grasp on what wrestling is all about or why people watch it. Perhaps you should talk with our aspiring wrestler Global mod Crimson Scorpion?

sorry, whatever gets your ducky heading for the surface is your business

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
very good, I'll try and keep the IIHF honest and you dream about climbing in the ring with one of your sweaty men in tights then we can both be happy

Oh I don't dream of being a wrestler, never have, I just want the product to be good and make sense for once in a while. If you browsed the Wrestling section a bit, you'd notice that people there are mostly complaining about the WWE. :laugh:

IIHF doesn't need to be kept "honest", they're doing what they're supposed to, it's you who should seek help for your inferiority complex re: IIHF and Canada. Also trying to do some research and not twists facts/lie about them could help in someone taking you seriously.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Oh I don't dream of being a wrestler, never have, I just want the product to be good and make sense for once in a while. If you browsed the Wrestling section a bit, you'd notice that people there are mostly complaining about the WWE. :laugh:

IIHF doesn't need to be kept "honest", they're doing what they're supposed to, it's you who should seek help for your inferiority complex re: IIHF and Canada. Also trying to do some research and not twists facts/lie about them could help in someone taking you seriously.

If you have anything more of substance to present I'd be happy to discuss it with you but I'm guessing you realized you were in over your head a while back already.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
I think this will naturally bring more attention to the World Championships on TSN. However, it will not reach World Juniors level. World Juniors is best on best, it's kids playing for their country (something special about that), and it is not up against NHL Playoffs like the Worlds are.

I think TSN will pump up the Worlds a little more, but I wouldn't expect things to reach World Juniors obsession.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think this will naturally bring more attention to the World Championships on TSN. However, it will not reach World Juniors level. World Juniors is best on best, it's kids playing for their country (something special about that), and it is not up against NHL Playoffs like the Worlds are.

I think TSN will pump up the Worlds a little more, but I wouldn't expect things to reach World Juniors obsession.

If there's any chance they might start to pump up the Worlds more, could it lead to higher interest by viewers and/or better focus by players participating in the tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad