WC: Will an NHLless TSN Raise the Profile of the World Championships in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I hope, and think they will.

If they can make the WJC a big deal, then they can make the WC a big deal. Sure it will be harder with the playoffs going on, but since TSN won' have playoffs they have nothing to lose.

I think that this tournament can finally get the respect it deserves

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

If they can make the WJC a big deal, then they can make the WC a big deal. Sure it will be harder with the playoffs going on, but since TSN won' have playoffs they have nothing to lose.

If they really concentrate on every tournament worth mentioning outside the NHL it could work fro them and increase the interest with the canadian audeince. I doubt they can really have a history changing impact with that.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
I think they can and will definitely try to raise the profile of the WCs but the biggest issue is that the games are always on at odd times for NA viewers.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005

The WC are on during a different time slot and they never competed directly with the NHL playoffs in that sense. I think you will slowly see a lot of TSN's hockey talent sliding over to Sportsnet, it's pretty tough to keep them without the regular work the NHL provides.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I think they can and will definitely try to raise the profile of the WCs but the biggest issue is that the games are always on at odd times for NA viewers.

They are typically on during the afternoon. That is better than the middle of the night, especially if Canada's games against the big teams are on weekends

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Unfortunately, the WCs are on during the NHL playoffs so it'll always be a secondary tournament in that regard. Also, it's not best-on-best with teams like Canada sending their 25-and-under group for international experience and scouting them there for future Olympic teams.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Sportsnet sucks. I hate to sound ignorant, but the quality of broadcasting seems sub-par when compared to TSN's. I enjoy watching the WJCs and WCs just because I know that I can expect a high quality product from TSN

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No. The WC overlap with the Stanley cup playoffs which will always command the attention of the na hockey audience.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Sportsnet sucks. I hate to sound ignorant, but the quality of broadcasting seems sub-par when compared to TSN's. I enjoy watching the WJCs and WCs just because I know that I can expect a high quality product from TSN

No ignorance in this post at all, you're speaking the truth. Sportsnet in Canada is second grade to TSN

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
well TSN has made the wjc what it is.

it will be tough because of having the olympics and having all the best players in the playoffs still will hurt. I dont think the Worlds will ever be that big, but it would be nice... just need Canada to care and were to busy watching the NHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, aside from time slot concerns....

Yes, it's totally possible. Especially if :

- The Tournament somehow comes back to NA (friendlier time slots)
- The canadian teams are out of the playoffs by the 2nd round.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The WC will never be truly a best on best. It'll be "best of those who got eliminated or never made it to the playoffs."

With the World Cup and Olympics, there's no real incentive to watch this tournament imo.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The WC will never be truly a best on best. It'll be "best of those who got eliminated or never made it to the playoffs."

With the World Cup and Olympics, there's no real incentive to watch this tournament imo.

By the time the Worlds begin, there's these days 8 or 4 teams left in the playoffs. The best TEAMS are still playing but as has been the case many times in just recent years, the best players are often out. E.g. in 2011 Russia had Malkin, Datsyuk and Ovechkin in their gold medal winning team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
TSN will try. It won't work very well because of the timing. The games are on at difficult times to watch, there is not built in interest and the playoffs are always going to draw more viewers anyway.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
By the time the Worlds begin, there's these days 8 or 4 teams left in the playoffs. The best TEAMS are still playing but as has been the case many times in just recent years, the best players are often out. E.g. in 2011 Russia had Malkin, Datsyuk and Ovechkin in their gold medal winning team.

The worst thing that could happen to the WC now would be if Russia actually won a best on best tournament. Russia is the only major hockey country left where casual hockey fans care about the WC, and that is only because they have been disappointed so many times in the big tournaments. We certainly saw in the last two years that most Finnish and Swedish hockey fans have stopped supporting the tournament (and in comparison to here the tickets were a bargain, so don't try that one).

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
What was everyone's view on the spengler last year with the lockout? I found that to be very entertaining. I don't see why the WC can't be

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton

The world championship games start early mornings in NA as they are mostly in europe, and honestly as much as I love hockey, I or anyone I know wont wake up to watch hockey that early in the morning.. cant be interested in something you sleep through, that and the players is why its sub-par :/

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The world championship games start early mornings in NA as they are mostly in europe, and honestly as much as I love hockey, I or anyone I know wont wake up to watch hockey that early in the morning.. cant be interested in something you sleep through, that and the players is why its sub-par :/
I was addressing his point on the Spengler Cup, though. Plus, you don't have to watch it live, do you?

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
I was addressing his point on the Spengler Cup, though. Plus, you don't have to watch it live, do you?

Why would I watch a replay of it at night over lets say, a playoff game? and I misquoted :(
ah, never really thought of that. Over here all the games like the olympics/WJC are mid day/latenight
First game against france next year is at 6:45 am here :/ latest is 11 am start time

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Why would I watch a replay of it at night over lets say, a playoff game? and I misquoted :(
I don't know why you would, but some people would. But the same question can be asked for a random playoff game. For me personally it really boils down to what playoff game it is. If I have no stake in it, and the WC game is a good one, I'd rather watch the latter. But to each their own. It's personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad