Will a goalie ever be drafted first overall again?

4Isles4*

Theres a sick Japanese Goalie named Yuuji Kiddo, eligable for the import draft, he has first overall quality, has a bit of Luongo and Ward in him, the kids flexibility is unreal, and hes massive, work out freak and is 6'4.5 at the moment. But will go late or not get drafted because Japan has only produced 1.5 players, Fukufuji and O'marra :sarcasm:. Eligable for the 2013 NHL Draft.

wang always said he wanted a sumo wrestler to be goalie....

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I say yes, when a mediocre team wins the cup or comes very close to it with a franchise goalie. Right now the big emphasis is on top flight D men who can block shots and shut down other teams top players over goalies, but that could change.

Disagree. Just looking a defensemen, offensive dmen (or 2way) have become much more valuable than stay at home guys.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
wang always said he wanted a sumo wrestler to be goalie....

I saw a show where they tested that. Put a sumo in net and had George Parros shoot on him. Parros absolutely lit him up. Wish I could remember what show it was.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
LOL ya what was that trade again.

Florida got Roberto Luongo, Olli Jokenin,

and the Islanders got what Parrish, Kavasha and the 1st overall pick where they took Dipietro...

Just think NYI could have had Luongo, Jokinen and either Gaborik or Heatley....mad mike struck a good one then eh LOL.

Not to mention Spezza, Chara and Parise. :laugh:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It can happen, but:

- he must be at least 6.4 high
- arms swift like a chimpanzee
- he must won as a 16 years old a gold medal in U18 WJC as a starting goalie
- as a 17 years old he should have to won title in Elitserien, or maybe KHL. Again as a starting goalie
- his numbers should be better than 2.0 GAA in regular season (in senior team) and better than 92 % .

and maybe then would NHL GMs take him as a numero uno...

member 105785

The Stars took Jack Campbell at 11th overall this last draft, that's like two #1's :sarcasm:

That being said, I think it'll be a little while until one is taken in the top 3 picks again.

Mint Berry Crunch

Bring the crunch.
May 8, 2009
Long Island, NY
It's probable, for sure -- but I think you'll find more and more goalies being taken in the later rounds. Quality ones, at that. Most GM's would rather go for a sure-thing, which goalies very rarely turn out to be. Al Montoya and Dan Blackburn still sting, to this day.

feelsbad.png

BluelineHammer

Jan 20, 2010
its pretty sweet

Cool vid, funny!

That show is such BS though, look at the angle the pucks are coming from when both guys get in the net, there is no way that those are shots from the floor. The pucks look as if someone is throwing them at the goalies from up high from like 20 feet away. Not to mention the guy in the sumo suit is standing there without gloves on, no chance that Parros is shooting the puck at them there. I SMELL FAKE!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad