Will a goalie ever be drafted first overall again?

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I really believe that it will be a long time before we see a goalie drafted first overall. I just see it as too much of a risk. The Penguins were the last team to do it, and there's a lot of Fleury doubters in the media and HF despite the fact he won a Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh.

What do you think? Would it depend on the draft year and/or goalie prospect? Would you support your team's decision if they drafted a goalie first overall?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Of course it will happen again. Professional hockey will be around until our civilization is in jeopardy. In the hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of years before that happens, someone is bound to choose a goalie first overall.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Of course it will happen again. Professional hockey will be around until our civilization is in jeopardy. In the hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of years before that happens, someone is bound to choose a goalie first overall.

Uh... 2012, anyone?

cbear42

Sep 1, 2008
Yes

But it will have to be a "Perfect Storm" situation with a goalie being a top end/cant miss prospect, a team in need of a #1 goalie within a year or two, and a GM with the Balls to make the move.

It will happen, but it will be rare.

KingJet*

Theres a sick Japanese Goalie named Yuuji Kiddo, eligable for the import draft, he has first overall quality, has a bit of Luongo and Ward in him, the kids flexibility is unreal, and hes massive, work out freak and is 6'4.5 at the moment. But will go late or not get drafted because Japan has only produced 1.5 players, Fukufuji and O'marra :sarcasm:. Eligable for the 2013 NHL Draft.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I say yes, when a mediocre team wins the cup or comes very close to it with a franchise goalie. Right now the big emphasis is on top flight D men who can block shots and shut down other teams top players over goalies, but that could change.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I would say probably not in the near future. If the salary cap remains, and the rules of free agency remain as they are: UFA at age 27 (with 4 years NHL exp.) or 7 years of NHL exp., then you generally only get about 4-5 years with your goalie before he goes to UFA. But, more importantly is the development time needed for most goalies.

Mason and Price came into the NHL right after they completed their Junior careers in the CHL. Started off great, but Mason has still struggled and Price was very shaky last season.

Then you have the likes of Schneider, Rask, Bernier, Dubnyk, etc. 1st round goalies that are playing at age 22 and 23. Contrast that with P. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, etc. where you can get a young forward and Dman playing in the NHL at age 18-20.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
It worked for the Penguins.

It did and it didn't. I think most teams would rather have Eric Staal, #2 overall that year (on that note that must be the first time brothers have both gone #2 overall, (jordan did too)).

Goalies take longer to develop so it would be best to pick one at the beginning of a multi-season tank job (a la pittsburgh) so that by the time you've gotten your D and/or forwards in future drafts the goalie is ready for the NHL.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
It didnt for the Islanders :laugh:

A lot of things didn't work for the Islanders.

It did and it didn't. I think most teams would rather have Eric Staal, #2 overall that year (on that note that must be the first time brothers have both gone #2 overall, (jordan did too)).

Goalies take longer to develop so it would be best to pick one at the beginning of a multi-season tank job (a la pittsburgh) so that by the time you've gotten your D and/or forwards in future drafts the goalie is ready for the NHL.

It's tough to argue it didn't work. They won a cup 5 seasons after they drafted him, not bad (even though they handled him poorly).

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Theres a sick Japanese Goalie named Yuuji Kiddo, eligable for the import draft, he has first overall quality, has a bit of Luongo and Ward in him, the kids flexibility is unreal, and hes massive, work out freak and is 6'4.5 at the moment. But will go late or not get drafted because Japan has only produced 1.5 players, Fukufuji and O'marra :sarcasm:. Eligable for the 2013 NHL Draft.

He's that kid that Taro Tsujimoto coaches for the Tokyo Katanas, right?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
In seriousness though, I think it will be a long, long time before you see a goalie go #1 again. It's very trendy around the league right now to just nab goalies who are entering their prime from the Euro leagues and see what they can do, and I can see that trend continuing for a good long while. No one wants to drop good picks on goalies that take 6 years before you really know what you've got anymore.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Its possible. You have to think in recent years we've seen less goalies in the first round. Or at least it seems that way to me.

When I think of highly drafted goalies, I think of DiPietro, Kidd, etc., as opposed to guys who have had at least reasonable success like Price, Lehtenon, Fleury.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Clubs are definitely going to be hesitant to draft them when it seems like a crap shoot but it'll happen. At some point, there's going to be a superstar in the making that you can just tell from an early age that they're special. Some club will choose him because of the obvious talent.... or he'll fall to second and the first team will kick themselves for decades.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL

lol did u just make this kid up?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
It didnt for the Islanders :laugh:

LOL ya what was that trade again.

Florida got Roberto Luongo, Olli Jokenin,

and the Islanders got what Parrish, Kavasha and the 1st overall pick where they took Dipietro...

Just think NYI could have had Luongo, Jokinen and either Gaborik or Heatley....mad mike struck a good one then eh LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad