GDT: Wild vs. Stars | Emergency GDT | 2/9/16 | 7 PM CST, 3 AM Suomi

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
i thought the wild had good effort last night but team confidence is shakey at best. the refs hosed us on a couple calls but kinda made up for it with some weaker calls later. i wasnt sure if they would call goalie interference on dumba. close game. nino had the game on his stick , dang he needs some better luck.

Yeah, Nino had a couple of chances. Pominvilled one.

I don't think Yeo is a bad coach, nor Fletcher a bad GM. Every team goes through a slump just about every year. Would you rather be STL or the AVS who slump in the playoffs?

Having said that, Yeo's lack of attention to detail, and blind spots in certain areas, are disturbing.

- I said this at the beginning of the year and was pooh- poohed. Don't think I will be anymore. Yeo has done a bad job preparing the team for 3v3 this year, and it might cost us a playoff spot.

- Yep's personnel decisions are odd, and conducive to team disunity. Different players are held to different standards. Prosser has no business taking a regular shift in the NHL. Pominville has no business getting first line and #1 PP TOI. Hard working players are benched, for no discernible reason. Where is the accountability?

- Power Play is bad. Both personnel choices, strategy, and execution are poor. This is not a new problem, and has been allowed to fester.

- After saying he was going to limit our best player's TOI this year so his play wouldn't suffer, we find ourselves playing him over 30 min. Per game now. Yes, there are injuries now, but we were remarkably healthy during the rest of the year. Even if we do make it through to the playoffs, Suter will have nothing left.

- this is a more vague criticism, and I don't know if I'm completely comfortable with it, but the team shows a lack of goal scoring from our forward unit. I wonder how much scoring is taught, and encouraged. We seem to revert to the cycle(which is very much a coached behavior), and don't have much of a net front presence. Our prettiest goals recently have come from our fourth liners, for god's sake! Where are the deflections and dirty goals. Sure as hell aren't coming from Granlund and Pominville, two players who appear to be favorites of Yeo.

As a coach of my son's once said, "If you want bread, go to a bakery. If you want goals, go to the net".

That third goal last night had nothing to do with skill, but with Parise's and Dumba's hunger to go crash the net. We need to see more of that. I also can't recall the last time I saw a goal off a deflection for someone standing in front of the net, unless it's in front of OUR net.

Fletcher has made one really bad deal, the Pominville one. The Vanek one isn't too bad, it'll be over with next year. The Backstrom one wasn't great either. Cooke was good for us, then got injured(damn groins are killers) and bought out. No biggie. Vanek has been far less than hoped for, but Pominville is a disaster. OTOH, Fletcher has locked up all our young Dmen with the exception of Dumba, stole Dubnyk and signed him for a reasonable deal, locked up Coyle, and has refrained from giving long term deals to Nino, Zucker, and Granlund. He also had to deal with very difficult circumstances with Harding and Backstrom, and I Thought did OK. Backstrom is an arse to have not accepted a buyout earlier. If he had, he would probably be playing somewhere else now, at least as a backup.

I don't know that I'm ready to dump Fletcher, unless some can't miss replacement candidate comes available.

I'm giving Yeo three more games to turn it around. I think he deserves that much. After that, all bets are off.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
You'd think the outdoor game would be the perfect time to showcase a new coach and staff.

Actually, I'm thinking that's actually the reason they're not publicly panicking and making heads roll. They've been trying to get this outdoor game for how many years now, and the reason we were told we don't get them is because we're not good enough or not a marketable enough team without any stars (it was actually the Winter Classic he's been trying to get, but we're not an Original Six team or on the East Coast, so that was never a reality). So, we get the big event but then plunge into this amazing downward spiral right before the event. We obviously can see we don't have any stars out there right now, but if management goes around openly pointing out how everyone is garbage heading into the big event that Leipold has been begging the NHL to get for the last several years, I don't think that bodes well for his chances of getting another outdoor game anytime soon. I just think they're trying not to draw too much attention to the fact that they suck right now and maybe that line of thinking goes out the window once the NBC trucks pull away from TCF Bank Stadium.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Actually, I'm thinking that's actually the reason they're not publicly panicking and making heads roll. They've been trying to get this outdoor game for how many years now, and the reason we were told we don't get them is because we're not good enough or not a marketable enough team without any stars (it was actually the Winter Classic he's been trying to get, but we're not an Original Six team or on the East Coast, so that was never a reality). So, we get the big event but then plunge into this amazing downward spiral right before the event. We obviously can see we don't have any stars out there right now, but if management goes around openly pointing out how everyone is garbage heading into the big event that Leipold has been begging the NHL to get for the last several years, I don't think that bodes well for his chances of getting another outdoor game anytime soon. I just think they're trying not to draw too much attention to the fact that they suck right now and maybe that line of thinking goes out the window once the NBC trucks pull away from TCF Bank Stadium.

Elliotte Friedman actually said something about this on the radio a couple of weeks ago about the wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker had the least amount of TOI of any player. 8 min. I like him, but apparently Yeo doesn't. I sure hope Fletcher ditches Yeo before he does Zucker.

Lost in all the angst over last night was that we were the better team, yet lost again.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Just saw a video of Koivu getting a turnover in the Dallas zone during 13 minute mark of the 3rd. Koivu catches it in the dots (doesn't shoot while open and goalie scrambling) and takes it to the outside halfwall and tries to take a shot when the D comes back on him.

This is why the team won't win games. Take stupid shots instead of shooting when you have another forward right at the breadbasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad