GDT: Wild vs. Avs | 7 PM | Nov 30 | Oh No, We're Good Again?

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
Fun game to be at...D in the 3rd was sloppy and the Wild made 'em pay. This is the first SO I've been at live. They are WAY more fun live than on TV...tension levels were very high. So much fun.

Odd moment though...like most of the people there, I stood for the SO. A lady two rows behind me was quite upset with me standing. Told me I was rude for not sitting.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?!?!?

Maybe it was her first time going to a hockey game.

Anyway, good times...

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Fun game to be at...D in the 3rd was sloppy and the Wild made 'em pay. This is the first SO I've been at live. They are WAY more fun live than on TV...tension levels were very high. So much fun.

Odd moment though...like most of the people there, I stood for the SO. A lady two rows behind me was quite upset with me standing. Told me I was rude for not sitting.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?!?!?

Maybe it was her first time going to a hockey game.

Anyway, good times...

Whatever man, you're never gonna see her again. Pretty jealous you were there.

Edit: Only time I have ever been upset at a game over someone standing was at an Avs/Flames game where some gold digger who was only there because someone brought her (she spent the rest of the night on her phone) was standing in an aisle looking for her seat during play. Like come on, not during the play.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010

Edit: Only time I have ever been upset at a game over someone standing was at an Avs/Flames game where some gold digger who was only there because someone brought her (she spent the rest of the night on her phone) was standing in an aisle looking for her seat during play. Like come on, not during the play.

Amen brother.

Am glad I got to be there tonight too...good vibe in the building for much of the game. Avs fans seem to be starting to bring more energy as the season goes on.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Got annoyed at an Avs-Kings game in LA where the people in my section liked to stand up as soon as the Kings started moving the puck out of the D zone. Haven't had that happen since

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Got annoyed at an Avs-Kings game in LA where the people in my section liked to stand up as soon as the Kings started moving the puck out of the D zone. Haven't had that happen since

Ugh, at Flames games whenever the Flames have the puck...... and shoot and it's a save or miss it's like the collective fan base holds its breathe and then seems shocked when it's not a goal. Very strange. I've only been to Flames home games so I can't speak for other crowds but it seems strange.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Good game guys. no penalties weird for both sides. Question Would you trade I mean Niederreiter for Clutterbuck?

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Don't blame Roy. Blame the players for not being good enough when the going gets tough. Particularly the D corps.

The dmen do a fine job of clearing the zone usually. The forwards are completely unable to establish a cycle though or any offensive chances. I mean they were outshooting us like 9-1 at one point in that last period and it's happened before. The dmen can of course help get some offensive chances going by keeping the play alive but it's obviously the coaches who tell them to sit back.

I'm all for playing sound defensive hockey when you have a lead in the third but if it means letting the other team maintain constant posession in your zone and get nothing offensively then that's messed up not to mention terrible to watch.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
The dmen do a fine job of clearing the zone usually. The forwards are completely unable to establish a cycle though or any offensive chances. I mean they were outshooting us like 9-1 at one point in that last period and it's happened before. The dmen can of course help get some offensive chances going by keeping the play alive but it's obviously the coaches who tell them to sit back.

I'm all for playing sound defensive hockey when you have a lead in the third but if it means letting the other team maintain constant posession in your zone and get nothing offensively then that's messed up not to mention terrible to watch.

I think it has a bit to do with the forwards being tired near the end of the game after having to help out the defense a lot. But that's an opinion, that is probably wrong. I am probably making some excuses but there has to be a reason why, no matter what game and what score it seems like at the end of the game the Avs are always so tired looking.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
I'm starting to hate how Roy gets the team to play in the third with narrow leads. There's no intensity, we get muscled off the puck pretty easy in the third, we might as well not bother to forecheck because it's half-hearted. He's basically just relying on a bunch of inexperienced or average players to stay in position and defend tight leads.

16-0-0 when leading after 2 periods.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

I agree with most of this, but there is no way of knowing whether it is Roy's instructions or simply the team not being able to do it. The forwards do have trouble establishing a cycle and the D has trouble keeping the play alive, and I'm not sure it's coaching.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
16-0-0 when leading after 2 periods.

Sure but the way to stay ahead of the curve is to anticipate your problems, not rest on the laurels of your previous successes. No one could watch the way we've played some of these 3rd periods and say that's the ideal strategy to approach a lead, regardless of what the record shows

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Sure but the way to stay ahead of the curve is to anticipate your problems, not rest on the laurels of your previous successes. No one could watch the way we've played some of these 3rd periods and say that's the ideal strategy to approach a lead, regardless of what the record shows

The same thing happens when we trail after 2 periods (hasn't happened much this year). We always start to pressure the other team and look better and then complain after the game that we should have started the game "on time." It's human nature to sit back when you already have a lead and try to coast. It's extremely difficult to change natural habits, and you'll see every single team go into a shell when they have a lead late in a game.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The same thing happens when we trail after 2 periods (hasn't happened much this year). We always start to pressure the other team and look better and then complain after the game that we should have started the game "on time." It's human nature to sit back when you already have a lead and try to coast. It's extremely difficult to change natural habits, and you'll see every single team go into a shell when they have a lead late in a game.

It's human nature to sit back for sure, but the best teams don't get completely dominated in 3rd periods on such a consistent basis, and while we're not there yet, that's definitely where we want to be headed.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The over passing just has to stop. PAP passed up at least 4 good chances to make an extra pass.

Duchene hasn't looked good since his injury. He needs to use his linemates more.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
You can see the game plan change between when the Avs are tied, go ahead, or fall behind. When they are ahead, you'll see fewer guys sent in on forecheck, you'll see more dumping into the corners instead of shooting, less pressure on the puck when it's out wide, fewer attempted break outs instead of dump outs, etc.

The Avs' Corsi numbers for ahead vs. behind bear this out as well...I don't think this is just human nature you're seeing, I think it's Roy's game plan.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
The over passing just has to stop. PAP passed up at least 4 good chances to make an extra pass.

Duchene hasn't looked good since his injury. He needs to use his linemates more.

I'm willing to say Duchene isn't 100% and shouldn't be back yet.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
You can see the game plan change between when the Avs are tied, go ahead, or fall behind. When they are ahead, you'll see fewer guys sent in on forecheck, you'll see more dumping into the corners instead of shooting, less pressure on the puck when it's out wide, fewer attempted break outs instead of dump outs, etc.

The Avs' Corsi numbers for ahead vs. behind bear this out as well...I don't think this is just human nature you're seeing, I think it's Roy's game plan.

I agree.

But this is where the teams that win show up. When you have the lead, keep going.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Something I had never noticed with Varly in prior years...after every shot, and before the shootout, when PAP was shooting, Varly was on the bench. I'm wondering if he was watching video or something. I've never seen anyone do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad