GDT: Wild vs. Avs | 7 PM | Nov 30 | Oh No, We're Good Again?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
O'Reilly will get paid. Whether it's from the Avs or from another team, he'll get his money. I think Roy loves the guy and won't let him get away, but if his demands are crazy, you never know.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Based on the market, I think $5.5M/yr is reasonable now.

I thought $5M/yr was ridiculous when he was holding out and would've traded him if he was asking for that much but not anymore. He's too important.

He'll also be two years older, and on his 3rd deal as opposed to his 2nd so it's a little easier to give him that money at 23 than 21. His production isn't really that different than his big year before his holdout. Their demands shouldn't be astronomically higher.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that $5M long term would have got him signed last time, but the team didn't want to because he only had one offensive year. Now he's got another year and a half under his belt of solid production at the same rate, so a long term deal at $5-5.5M should be a fair deal IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have no problem with the team paying both ROR and stastny between landy and dutchy money. They're both well worth it if that gets them locked up long term and have earned that payday.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Friedman said the cap might be $80M in three years. Paying your top guys $6M/year won't break anything, should it take that to keep them.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Friedman said the cap might be $80M in three years. Paying your top guys $6M/year won't break anything, should it take that to keep them.

Friedman may very well be right, but what GM's need to prepare for, or at the very least act as if they recognize that it might happen, is that since the Cap is tied to League Revenues, there would logically come a time when the cap doesn't rise, and in fact goes down.

Now I'm not advocating the Avs continuing to be stingy with their Cap-Space, but I also don't want them being like the Flyers, Leafs, etc. and just throwing money everywhere hoping that it solves their problem.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Friedman may very well be right, but what GM's need to prepare for, or at the very least act as if they recognize that it might happen, is that since the Cap is tied to League Revenues, there would logically come a time when the cap doesn't rise, and in fact goes down.

Now I'm not advocating the Avs continuing to be stingy with their Cap-Space, but I also don't want them being like the Flyers, Leafs, etc. and just throwing money everywhere hoping that it solves their problem.

I'm fine with the avs picking their spots in FA, Hejda, Parenteau and Benoit have all been phenomenal pick ups, but I would love to see the team keep locking in their young talent onto long term deals. This core will win a cup before all's said and done, the question just is, who sticks around to be part of that core, and who moves on before it all pays off.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Spending 6M to keep the core should be no problem. It's blowing money on overpaid vets is what ends up handcuffing a team. I don't see the Avs doing that at all. I think they will be shopping in the mid tier with upside aisle and not the veteran pay for the name and their best years behind them bin. Also, as screwed as these teams are that make terrible financial decisions they still find a way to get what they want. Their favorite trick now is abusing LTIR to create a few extra million in cap space. The Avs have no bad contracts , they should be able to do whatever they want financially, of course I want it to stay that way. The cap will go up each yer, it just remains to be seen by how much.

member 116861

Giving up a lead in the last 5 seconds sucks. But I'm glad they pulled out 2 points after all :yo:

And for those saying that GDTs seem quiet lately, I can only speak for myself, but recently I've only been posting before, after, or during breaks in the game. I don't want to miss any of the game! This team is vastly improved from the last few years.

Same here, I come in during intermissions and after the game. I find it hard to post during the game because this team is actually fun to watch now and I don't want to miss any of the action.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Spending 6M to keep the core should be no problem. It's blowing money on overpaid vets is what ends up handcuffing a team. I don't see the Avs doing that at all. I think they will be shopping in the mid tier with upside aisle and not the veteran pay for the name and their best years behind them bin. Also, as screwed as these teams are that make terrible financial decisions they still find a way to get what they want. Their favorite trick now is abusing LTIR to create a few extra million in cap space. The Avs have no bad contracts , they should be able to do whatever they want financially, of course I want it to stay that way. The cap will go up each yer, it just remains to be seen by how much.

Yep the time for that was when Suter was on the market. Locking him up would've solved a huge hole on the team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
11144726195_84541d9c2c_o.gif

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
:laugh: Amazing photo to catch the lady staring at Bordy and then get Mcginn's epic sneeze in the edge of the frame

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think 5.5 mil is more than fine for ROR. I really think he's going to be an integral piece in a cup run and needs to be locked up soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad