Wild tender qualify offer to Spurgeon

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He and Scandella play well together as was evidenced in the playoffs.

How much money is the QO? If it's for a million or less I could see Spurg rejecting it.
Which is completely besides the point, this move just ensures the Wild retain his rights. They need to clear cap space before they make him the real offer. IE move/buyout Gilbert and trade Cal so they don't need to qualify him either.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Would be nice for our top 4 to look like this:

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon

and then upgrade our bottom 2, the most problems are there. I think Stoner should be kept as a #7. Falk, honestly, no comment on his play this year -.-

Scandella and Spurgeon have proven in both the NHL and AHL that they play well together. This team needs to keep its home grown guys and develop into a contender

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Which is completely besides the point, this move just ensures the Wild retain his rights. They need to clear cap space before they make him the real offer. IE move/buyout Gilbert and trade Cal so they don't need to qualify him either.

Technically they don't need to move Gilbert. We still have some room and Spurge shouldn't get too much of a raise.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Hopefully as much as Scandella. Both proved just about as much.

Spurgeon has proven much more than Scandella. He plays quite a few minutes for us every night. Why would he get paid the same as an AHL guy when he has been up with the big team for two seasons now?

Its funny how every offseason we start penciling Scandella in the top 4. He hasn't proven ****. He plays a handful of decent games and everybody just put him in there. The guy is still AHL material at this point.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Spurgeon has proven much more than Scandella. I could see him rejecting it if it is less than Scandy's new deal. He plays quite a few minutes for us every night. Why would he get paid the same as an AHL guy when he has been up with the big team for two seasons now?

Potential. Spurgeon has been up and down the lineup and we haven't found a good place to put him. Spurgeon won't get less than Scandella but if it is more than 2 million, that's a ridiculous over payment.

Give him 2 years at 1.5 million and 1.75 million, see if he develops or how he develops and then give him his pay day.

Like the rest of the team, he had a great March but disappeared in February or April. So let's see if March was actually a fluke or if it was actually his game.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Potential. Spurgeon has been up and down the lineup and we haven't found a good place to put him. Spurgeon won't get less than Scandella but if it is more than 2 million, that's a ridiculous over payment.

Give him 2 years at 1.5 million and 1.75 million, see if he develops or how he develops and then give him his pay day.

Like the rest of the team, he had a great March but disappeared in February or April. So let's see if March was actually a fluke or if it was actually his game.

I could deal with that. I really hope we can do less than 2 mill. I bet your pretty close there.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm not a spurge fan and even I don't mind qualifying him.

THEALLKNOWING*

Spurgeon had a concussion in the 11/12 season. Also, he was injured in Europe before the regular 12/13 season began. Small guy, lot of injuries = not worth much money IMO.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He is an asset on the PP, regardless of crappy the team has played on it. He can shoot and isn't afraid to let it go. I'm okay with him staying here, but he will never be that guy we need on the Top 4.

THEALLKNOWING*

Yet he didn't miss as many games as you allude to.

11 games the season before. 9 games in a shortened season, which is close to a fifth of the season. I am okay with him as a 6th or 7th defenseman, with a 5% increase in salary.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You better get used to the idea, Gilbert is as good as gone one way or anther, the Wild want that cap space freed up.

I said TECHNICALLY. :p I know they are going to move Gilbert, which is dumb really. We need a veteran in the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad