Wild tender qualify offer to Spurgeon

THEALLKNOWING*

Ohhhhh-boy. An undersized, poor on the back-end, who can't hold the puck in the zone on the power play, defenseman. But he's "smart" (whatever that means in hockey) and can move the puck. Those attributes really served in his left-handed counterpart, Nic Leddy, real well in the playoffs. As a 6-7th defensemen, okay for the short-term. But the Jared Spurgeons of the world don't help make this team a Cup contender.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Ohhhhh-boy. An undersized, poor on the back-end, who can't hold the puck in the zone on the power play, defenseman. But he's "smart" (whatever that means in hockey) and can move the puck. Those attributes really served in his left-handed counterpart, Nic Leddy, real well in the playoffs. As a 6-7th defensemen, okay for the short-term. But the Jared Spurgeons of the world don't help make this team a Cup contender.

Stop. Talking. Now.

Last edited:

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Some poeple think d-man have to be a huge size, they are wrong. This is coming form a 6'5 d-man

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Good. Do I wish Spurgeon would start putting up big offensive numbers? Of course. But the kid is still very young for an NHL Dman. He gets pushed up in the Wild line up higher than he should at this point in his career because of the Wilds lack of top4 depth. I don't know how that is spurgs problem. At the very least he is a good guy to balance out Falk or Stoner in the bottom pairing.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Good step, give him a year to see how he adapts and if he rebounds, not a terrible bottom pairing guy but was out of his element last year.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
I think he is a great #5/6.

Nothing wrong with tendering him. We just need to round out our top 4. Curious to see if they trade for a top4 dman with Clutter / Seto / draft picks and if Dumba makes the roster this summer.

So many things can happen, most likely tomorrow will answer a few questions we have on the 2013-14 roster.

THEALLKNOWING*

Some poeple think d-man have to be a huge size, they are wrong. This is coming form a 6'5 d-man

I don't disagree being 6'4" myself. But a player about a foot smaller than you, Spurgeon, I will take size any day over a munchkin who loses battles along the board due to size, and can't clear anyone out from in front of the net.

Billy Mays Here*

Good. I like Spurgeon. Can't help that he was paired with Gilbert.

Spurg was never paired with Gilbert. Gilbert was always with Stoner or Falk.

I'm fine with this. Spurgeon is a solid 3rd pairing guy who can jump into the top four for a while when necassary.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
His durability is fine. He got mcleoded face first into the boards, and blocked a shot with his foot. Those were his only health problems IIRC, and there's nothing he could do to prevent those.

He could be a 3-4 D with the right partner. That partner is not Stoner or Falk, however. Maybe Scandella? They looked really good together for a while.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He had a groin injury and another injury in the AHL.

He's a good depth defenseman. Hopefully its for cheap.

Billy Mays Here*

How much money is the QO? If it's for a million or less I could see Spurg rejecting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad