Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Sens

WhiteLight*

Mark Borowiecki is barely 2nd pairing in the AHL. no idea how he got a one-way next year

Maybe, but he's a 2nd pair guy on this team. He gets exposed defensively a lot less than most defensemen on this team and generally goes unnoticed… which is good. He also has a better first pass and makes better decisions with the puck than Cowen, Phillips and even Wiercioch at times.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Honestly, the players in front are starting to play better, but we've been let down in back-to-back nights with crappy goaltending.

I guess its time to go with win and you're in.

We're screwed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
According to Stache the team played great so expect more of the same.

Well, from what I have seen they dis play well again but our goaltending has just not been good at all. Can't win in the NHL with that kind of goaltending. Shades of Martin Gerber, yikes. First 3 goals were weak to very weak and the 4th was unlucky (deflected on Methot's stick), but I was very disappointed by the effort of the Turris Line on that play, ended costing at least a point and the game

On top of that, luck has been awful for them, but I have seen tons of improvements like better puck support, better breakouts, better puck possession and more urgency in their game. Karlsson play on Heatley goal was soft and Smith's turnover was also bad. Outside of that they played a good defensive game overall although I missed a part of the 3rd (missing from the recordons on TSN somehow) but it was where they tied the game. Again I thought they deserved a better fate but goaltending has been the weak link lately. Can't believe Smith had to hit the post on that shorty breakaway. Can't access the gamecast tonight but I think they also got a lot more scoring chances from danger areas. It wasn't Harding best game but still a lot better than Andy, not even close

If goalies get their game back and the team plays like they did even in some recent losses, good things could happen if luck turns around. All that adversity could be good thing for them if they turn it around, which they still have to do and is not as easy to do it as it is to say it.

Another disappointing loss, although very close to Victory once again. But what do I know and what does Mac knows? He's about to get fired by the city

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
It is a like sick patient, it is the same bug (Inconsistency, lack of focus, not hard enough), but different symptoms tonight. Yesterday, it was quick goals in 23 secs, today, it is bad plays by goalie and No. 1 D, and one real soft play in defensive zone by our best line. They just can't play 60 minutes for some reason this year.

Bobby Mac said on the radio today that it seems Sens can't handle the expectations, and not having fun playing hockey this year. I think that is right on, this team lost its identity, and trying to transition to something else, but is failing miserably. We still do not know what this team is, just way too inconsistent. OK, the defence is bad, that is just one symptom, but how can some very good players can't make a common play any more, it is all mental.

They think they can play with big boys, actually they did well against Boston and Detroit, even that Chicago game was good for most part, but they can't figure out how to play consistently against rest of the league.

One more thing, since Marty Biron said it too, Andy is struggling, it is plain and simple, just play Lehner, see what we have in him. Maclean really screwed up the goalie situation here, instead of leaving Lehner in the net, he went with Andy, now both of them are having bad games. Need wins, can't worry about egos any more.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The energy of this team over the last few years has come from the young guns but MacLean is so afraid that the vets will turn on him that he's overcompensating and giving them way too much leeway and ice time. We may not all agree but one thing you can say about the little general is that he was irreverent towards the Heatleys of this world. MacLean doesn't need to go that far but he has to put a bit of that in his repertoire. His current message is falling on deaf ears.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The most pathetic thing about the game, was when the crowd started chanting "GO SENS GO" after Turris and Mac scored the shorthanded goal and the Sens let one in on the powerplay.

Everyone was so happy that the Sens had scored a highlight reel goal in the beginning of the game and while on the PK. I could tell everyone in the building just wanted a reason to cheer, then 30 seconds later we give up a weak goal against and the building felt as lost as the team looked.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Another really sad moment was when Neil tried to get the guy's going by fighting and he ended up getting hit quite a few times. He doesn't even have the ability to get the crowd excited anymore and lead the team physically. Pretty sad to see how far he's fallen.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hate to say it, but this team really misses what Gonchar brought to the team last year.

IMO, he was a huge key to settling our defence down last year. I don't think it's a coincidence that in the same year he leaves, our D falls apart worse than a counterfeit Lego set.

melnyk budget*

Gonchar's 1000+ games of experience is more than what, half or 2/3 of our current D combined? Yeah it's a big loss. plus losing alfie's 1000+ games. That's a lot of experience gone.

Gonchar isn't playing great in Dallas, but he didn't play great his first year here either. Pretty sure he didn't play great his first year in PIT too. Must be hard for him to adjust to a new city with family, kids schools, etc..

I think we should have resigned him. Probably didn't because of $. He wanted 2 years, Sens wanted 1. Should have given him that extra year. Even if he retired and we were stuck with the cap hit, we weren't going to use it anyway...Just a bad decision to let him go and put more pressure on Wiercioch (whose been scratched more often than playing), and Cowen (who has been awful this year)

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
but I'd say Gonchar's ability to impact the team would just go off the cliff at any point in his new contract, like Alfie, it was something we could only move on from without adequate replacement

melnyk budget*

And now we're looking for a top 4 D, and will have to lose assets to get one when we could have kept Gonchar and developed Wier/Cowen slower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad