GDT: Wild @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST - 2/22/19

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What it ultimately looks like to me is a misrepresentation of what our lines are. I believe it should read first to third as:
59-71-14
72-41-39
26-51-70

And I think it is absolutely done to showcase Nyquist, but Blashill can disguise it by pointing to Mantha's offensive surge and say that putting him with Athanasiou gives them two dynamic scoring lines with players who seem to be riding hot stretches instead of just one.

Reactions: lilidk

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm trying to believe there's some reasoning behind this, like showcasing Nyquist. But Mantha on the 3rd line after how he's been playing??

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm trying to believe there's some reasoning behind this, like showcasing Nyquist. But Mantha on the 3rd line after how he's been playing??

Same with AA. That's why I think that is actually the second line. There is no way that the Vanek-Nielsen-Ehn line is the second line.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

I would rather have Mantha and AA playing together. Nielsen sucks anyways so let Glendening get in on the forecheck.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Larkin and Mantha had a great game together. But Larkin and Nyquist were dominant together for weeks on end. The timing of the switch back is a little weird but other than that it's whatever.

And I wouldn't get all caught up on which line is which until we actually see how much ice time they get.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
It sure seems a little late in the game to showcase someone, deadline is three days away. Hard to wrap my head around breaking up a line that was so dominant last game, they looked like a threat to score every shift.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
You know, if you look at the stats, Athanasiou and Mantha have co-produced at a pretty incredible rate for how little they actually play together. AA has been able to produce with basically any center and Mantha goes as his primary center goes (historically the team's best) but if you can't have Mantha with a Larkin/Zetterberg, the stats suggest the next best option is to stick Mantha and AA together with whichever C is convenient.

So with that in mind, I actually like Glen centering Mantha and AA, as strange as that sounds. He gives them a defensive presence, yeah, but he's also surprised me with his ability to switch gears between forechecker and simplistic offensive cog this year. He learned pretty fast that keeping it simple can go a long way with the right players.

Reactions: RedMenace
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
So let me get this straight, Larkin and Mantha combine for 7 points last game, and were absolutely dominant pretty much every shift after the first period, and now Mantha is on the 3rd line?

K.

Reactions: mantha39

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
First line we’ve had since the Euro Twins where I thought they had a chance to score every shift. Better break it up then. Whatever, shooting for 2nd last place (don’t know if it’s possible to be worse than OTT).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Take it for what it's worth, but I'd rather Mantha get demoted to the third line and play with AA than have him play with two snails.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad