Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I also think they haven't really grabbed any good AHL veterans. Petan being probably the best off the top of my head. But the issue is why the CHL prospects aren't translating well or why they keep picking these guys that aren't translating well? Dewar changed his game, Duhaime did well, Shaw is okay but injured. My biggest hope is Haight and Heidt change that (along with Kumps).
Fair point on the AHL veterans.

As for the "raw materials" question I think drafting is just hard, especially when we're talking about CHLer's taken in the 3rd round or later. Hopefully one or two of the 2021-23 guys bucks the trend.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As for the "raw materials" question I think drafting is just hard, especially when we're talking about CHLer's taken in the 3rd round or later. Hopefully one or two of the 2021-23 guys bucks the trend.
Drafting is hard, but there seems to be a split on this board over whether or not a development coach can get more out of the player or if the player is simply the player they are.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I am much more of the thought that it's on the player, unless the team is actively getting in the way.
Then the scouts are doing a bad job of scouting and that's on Brackett.

I'm reminded of Spielman when people would criticize his drafting and would say, defensive coach told me to draft this guy that plays exclusively in x system, but then they try to force him into a y system and he failed. Queue the surprised Pikachu face and Spielman is tearing out his hair.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I'm reminded of Spielman when people would criticize his drafting and would say, defensive coach told me to draft this guy that plays exclusively in x system, but then they try to force him into a y system and he failed. Queue the surprised Pikachu face and Spielman is tearing out his hair.
They’ve had 4 drafts, and multiple players in each of those drafts are promising NHLers in some capacity. It’s still early for them.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

If you polled all 32 fan bases I bet they would all say they need to draft better. Maybe they should try harder at drafting? Press the easy button, have you considered using voodoo or magic?

The point being at no time in history has the draft not been gambling on predictions and projections of young kids. To complain or blame after 4 years seems a tad early.

Even then how much of it is just kind of luck?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If you polled all 32 fan bases I bet they would all say they need to draft better. Maybe they should try harder at drafting? Press the easy button, have you considered using voodoo or magic?

The point being at no time in history has the draft not been gambling on predictions and projections of young kids. To complain or blame after 4 years seems a tad early.

My kid was a baseball player, and ended up training a bit at the Texas Baseball Ranch, who has helped to revolutionize how players, especially pitchers get developed. They think it's insane that we are making judgements on how a 17-18yo athlete is going to turn out(in the case of baseball, it's what tier of school, generally, if any). I would echo the same in hockey. Even waiting one more year would go a long way towards eliminating a lot of draft mistakes. My 2nd kid was a late bloomer, and was just starting to come into his own after all of the general sorting out of players had already been done - no tragedy, as he is a smart kid and doing just what he wants in college.

Maybe it doesn't make a difference. The NFL drafts prospects that are 3-5 years older, and they still whiff all the time.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Very much agree, some just like to argue with the luxury of hindsight. Personally it feels like our drafting has improved a bit in the past decade, even if it took a few gms to get us here. Looks like there is more help on the way but patience isn't an easy thing for anyone.

Reactions: Circulartheory

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm obviously avoiding bc this type of debate will always be there (scouting vs. drafting vs. development, whos the blame) ever since drafting existed in sports and the answer will never really be answered.

That said, my own personal opinion, I'm happy with what we have in place for our team. I'm excited about Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt, Yurov, Ohgren, Heidt, Bankier, Khusnutdinov. That 8 players in 5 years I am excited to follow and watch grow.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I'm obviously avoiding bc this type of debate will always be there (scouting vs. drafting vs. development, whos the blame) ever since drafting existed in sports and the answer will never really be answered.

That said, my own personal opinion, I'm happy with what we have in place for our team. I'm excited about Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt, Yurov, Ohgren, Heidt, Bankier, Khusnutdinov. That 8 players in 5 years I am excited to follow and watch grow.
Do you think any of those have a chance to get some time in the NHL next season?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Do you think any of those have a chance to get some time in the NHL next season?
I know this wasn’t aimed at me, but Russo indicated both Ohgren and Heidt are likely on opening night roster at the moment. Ohgren is likely a full season candidate if he plays well, think Rossi two offseasons ago. Heidt will probably get 9 games, if he is blowing off the doors maybe he sticks around but likely back to junior with more info on things to improve and slide the contract another year.

I don’t think Bankier has an inside track for the big roster at the moment but he is definitely a guy that could make a statement in camp and earn some looks. He is near the top for call up candidates, but they may want to continue developing him until he really presses the issue with confident, NHL effective play. I am also glad he is in the pool.

Reactions: Sweetnut

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it would be odd if Heidt got NHL time before Bankier and Milne. Heidt just isn't strong and fast enough to deal with the NHL right now. The others have at least put in some AHL time, which is already a big jump up in class from the WHL.

Maybe it's just to give him his 9 games before he is sent back down to PG?

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I know this wasn’t aimed at me, but Russo indicated both Ohgren and Heidt are likely on opening night roster at the moment. Ohgren is likely a full season candidate if he plays well, think Rossi two offseasons ago. Heidt will probably get 9 games, if he is blowing off the doors maybe he sticks around but likely back to junior with more info on things to improve and slide the contract another year.

I don’t think Bankier has an inside track for the big roster at the moment but he is definitely a guy that could make a statement in camp and earn some looks. He is near the top for call up candidates, but they may want to continue developing him until he really presses the issue with confident, NHL effective play. I am also glad he is in the pool.
I'm not too sure Öhgren is ready for the full time NHL gig at this moment. As much as I watched him in the SHL, he's still got some flaws. He likes to hold on to the puck for too long at times, kind of a puck hog, and that won't do him any favors in the NHL. But he did get better on that aspect over the course of the season.
But it is a giant step from the SHL to NHL and I think he's gonna need some time to get adjusted to the smaller ice and the physical play, not to mention the quicker decision making that is needed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Reactions: Sweetnut

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Apparently from the Latest Worst Seats podcast, Firstov was a little bit upset that he didn't get a chance in the NHL. More so, he thought he deserved a spot in the NHL by coming back to North America.

On one hand, it was a bit arrogant and dumb to think he was guaranteed a spot in the NHL. But on the other hand, what did Khusnutdinov or Ohgren do that warranted them getting a spot immediately? They should have started in the AHL as well. It just seems, again, like both parties are neither right nor are they wrong based on other results.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What they did to warrant them a spot this past season was not show up to Iowa two seasons ago, play 1 game, quit, and run back home whilst at the same time pissing off Wild management.

I agree with you that it's about Guerin's pride and pettiness

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What they did to warrant them a spot this past season was not show up to Iowa two seasons ago, play 1 game, quit, and run back home whilst at the same time pissing off Wild management.

First off, he played 9 games in the AHL before leaving for the KHL. He decided that the KHL was better for him and his development. And he probably missed home. Secondly, if this was something that pissed off Minnesota, then they need to get their priorities in check. Are they going to throw a hissy fit because Yurov signed an extension in the KHL instead of coming over to develop in the AHL? Why did Khusnutdinov, who spurned the Wild a few years ago, get to play in the NHL immediately when he didn't go to the AHL to develop then or now? Like there are some double standards being played here.

I will say that neither party is right here. It wouldn't have hurt the Wild to give Firstov a try out with the Wild. But on the other hand, Firstov set himself to be disappointed.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I saw nothing from Firstov that deserved him getting a NHL call up over others.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I agree with you that it's about Guerin's pride and pettiness

Or maybe the organization knows that firstov isn't ready and the other 2 are closer? Nah gotta be guerins pride am I right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad