Wild Prospect Ranking - To #12 We Delve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Yeah and neither does being drafted 1st overall. See Pierre Turgeon. Drafted by the Carolina hurricanes. But winning something like that shows you can play the game.

In HS only. It does not mean you will be successful at any higher level.

tomthestone*

Yeah, it sure didn't work for McDonaugh, Leddy, and Bjugstad!

High school hockey has dropped off significantly in the last five years. And each of the current NHLers you mentioned were drafted in the first round and played at metro schools. Peterson could have played a full USHL season -- instead he stuck around as a senior, competing against mostly northern teams.

As far as staying and playing with friends goes: kids who play juniors as high school seniors make new friends quickly. They get to chase girls with their teammates, and the experience of living away from home makes the transition to college hockey (and the college lifestyle) a lot easier. There was no reason for Peterson to remain in the prep ranks once he got drafted.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Yeah and neither does being drafted 1st overall. See Pierre Turgeon. Drafted by the Carolina hurricanes. But winning something like that shows you can play the game.

Could you at least look stuff up before you try to spout names?

Pierre Turgeon?
The same Pierre Turgeon that was drafted #1 overall by the Sabres?
The same Pierre Turgeon that had 515 Goals and 1327 points in 1294 games?
That Pierre Turgeon?
I don't think he ever won Mr. Hockey:sarcasm:

Quoted for extra hilarity.

dwanmaster*

High school hockey has dropped off significantly in the last five years. And each of the current NHLers you mentioned were drafted in the first round and played at metro schools. Peterson could have played a full USHL season -- instead he stuck around as a senior, competing against mostly northern teams.

As far as staying and playing with friends goes: kids who play juniors as high school seniors make new friends quickly. They get to chase girls with their teammates, and the experience of living away from home makes the transition to college hockey (and the college lifestyle) a lot easier. There was no reason for Peterson to remain in the prep ranks once he got drafted.

It still isn't the same as putting your communities jersey and playing with the boys you grew up with.

tomthestone*

It still isn't the same as putting your communities jersey and playing with the boys you grew up with.

I get that. But I don't see how nostalgia for the home sweater and community pride can be enough to make a kid want to stick around after he was drafted by a professional team. Not with how poor the quality of high school hockey has become over the last few years.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I get that. But I don't see how nostalgia for the home sweater and community pride can be enough to make a kid want to stick around after he was drafted by a professional team. Not with how poor the quality of high school hockey has become over the last few years.

You ever play high school hockey? Guessing not

tomthestone*

You ever play high school hockey? Guessing not

I most definitely did. Right here in the State of Hockey. It doesn't compare to the junior circuit. There's a reason so much high-end talent skips out on high school hockey every single year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
When I presented those guys, I wasn't saying Mr. Hockey = NHL success. Obviously that is not the case.

Just saying that you can stay in high school for 4 years and make it. If you are good enough, the NHL will find you.

So, if you're confident in your abilities, I don't see a problem at all with a kid staying with his buddies and going for the state title for 4 years.

xyz1

Apr 29, 2012
If you look strictly at hockey and his future, it probably would have been better for Peterson to go to the USHL. There is, however, more to life than hockey; Peterson's 20-year-old brother is suffering from a serious, potentially life-threatening illness (http://mnhockeycoach.sportngin.com/news_article/show/325108); once you have all the facts, I find it pretty ridiculous that anybody might think he made the wrong choice in wanting to be close to his family during the past year.

tomthestone*

If you look strictly at hockey and his future, it probably would have been better for Peterson to go to the USHL. There is, however, more to life than hockey; Peterson's 20-year-old brother is suffering from a serious, potentially life-threatening illness (http://mnhockeycoach.sportngin.com/news_article/show/325108); once you have all the facts, I find it pretty ridiculous that anybody might think he made the wrong choice in wanting to be close to his family during the past year.

Well, that factor only completely changes everything. Totally forgot about that.

dwanmaster*

I most definitely did. Right here in the State of Hockey. It doesn't compare to the junior circuit. There's a reason so much high-end talent skips out on high school hockey every single year.

Golden Gophers freshman forward Gino Guyer came to "the U" (as the locals call it) after a stellar prep career at Greenway High School in tiny Coleraine, Minn., a struggling mining town of barely 1,000 residents, three hours north of the Twin Cities. As a senior, Guyer helped the Raiders reach the state tournament, and came close to bringing a state title home before settling for third place. As his college teammates celebrated being the best in the nation last April, Guyer was asked how winning the NCAA title compared to playing in the state tournament in Minnesota.

"This is amazing, but it's different than high school because there you win with the guys you've known since you were little and who you've played with all your life," he said. "Still, winning this national title is an incredible feeling, and it's almost as good as making it to state." Almost.

Junior Leagues are the exact opposite of love for the game

tomthestone*

Golden Gophers freshman forward Gino Guyer came to "the U" (as the locals call it) after a stellar prep career at Greenway High School in tiny Coleraine, Minn., a struggling mining town of barely 1,000 residents, three hours north of the Twin Cities. As a senior, Guyer helped the Raiders reach the state tournament, and came close to bringing a state title home before settling for third place. As his college teammates celebrated being the best in the nation last April, Guyer was asked how winning the NCAA title compared to playing in the state tournament in Minnesota.

"This is amazing, but it's different than high school because there you win with the guys you've known since you were little and who you've played with all your life," he said. "Still, winning this national title is an incredible feeling, and it's almost as good as making it to state." Almost.

Junior Leagues are the exact opposite of love for the game

When did Guyer graduate high school -- 2001? That's such a long time ago. He played in an entirely different era of high school puck, which is the point I've been trying to make all along. High school hockey used to be a legit stepping stone for the top players. Not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad