Proposal: Wild leafs.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You need to take into account "context" here. If you did that, you would understand that I am not suggesting a Doughty for Marner trade. I'm suggesting that this might be the only kind of trade many of the Leaf nation would consider.

good lord. In that case "Leaf Nation" has some serious issues

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I love spurgeon a ton, but marner's got so much more control left that that's not really a fair deal.

dumba-Zaitsev is a fair enough swap I guess. but kind of a waste of time for both parties.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
My point was there is a reason that all leaf fans get put into same pot. That it drives me crazy when you read some of the comments. People need to understand you have to give legit talent if you want to receive legit talent in return. Gm’s are not all idiots with the odd exception( looking at you Edmonton). And maybe being little older I don’t think marner is as untouchable as people think. Is he a great player —yes. Do I think he will ask for 9-10mil—- yes.
So I looked at big picture.
Travares $11
Mathews $11
Nylander$6.5
Kadri $4.5
Anderson$5
Reilly $5
MARNER $9-10
Total=$52-53 mil on 7 players
Leaves 27-28 mil for the remaining 16 players to me that is not feesable. So I look at who brings back the most return in trade?Who brings the most to the table for the money spent? Again marner is a great player but in a salary cap era he is the player we can afford to let go. I know I’ll hear lots of we can get rid of brown or even some will say get rid of Kadri we have mathews and travares. But you don’t get rid of guys on great contracts. Now if marner agrees to a contract around 7.5 mil then my thinking changes. And it’s nylander you move. I hope this helps clarify my thought process for those that continue to say marner is here for life.

The thing is that Marner is by far and away the most valuable piece in this trade. Why should the leafs give up the most valuable piece by far?

member 300185

Leafs trade ——-marner and zaitsev
Wild trade —— dumba and spurgeon
May need to add draft pick or b level prospect to level things out. But I think it’s fairly close.
Never post trades again!! Marner is a budding superstar. Pick anyone other than Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, MARNER, Rielly, Kadri, Brown, Kapanen, etc.

Leafs fans, we dont need a D man. Go with what we got and develop within.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I love spurgeon a ton, but marner's got so much more control left that that's not really a fair deal.

dumba-Zaitsev is a fair enough swap I guess. but kind of a waste of time for both parties.

I know it is weekend and all. Leafs <3

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Idk what to say, Dumba is relatively close to Marner in terms of value and you’re gonna say this crap.

Reactions: TaLoN

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN

Lmao...

As amazing as Marner is, I doubt Minnesota would be willing to destroy their defence to get him. The Leafs defence would be pretty crazy after this trade, and even though losing Marner would suck a fat one, they'd still have enough forward depth to get by.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
First off let me say I’m a leaf fan have been all my life. And most leaf fans won’t like this at all. But I can see marner pricing himself out of leafs cap space available. He is also the most valuable trade chip we have. With the Center depth we have we don’t need marner to drive a line. Mathews, Johnny T and Kadri are all capable of doing that. We also have a lot of depth on the right wing. Again I’m not saying anyone is as good as marner. But if he is wanting 9-10 mil then I would rather spend that on defence. I know this won’t be the most favorite proposal cause most of our fans love marner and rightfully so but I’m looking at long term win cups type team not outscore teams in regular season. And then come playoffs not being able to shut down opposing team

It is nice to see some realist Leaf fans! As I said last season and for this off season if the Leafs really want to make the cup run they need D and I went as far as saying they should move Marner or Nylander (who ever returns that stud D man or would fetch the highest value). I agree, you are right, the Leafs are top heavy and need that dynamic D man that will help lead the charge. I am not sure the Wild do this trade as I think in the proposed you are asking for their 1 and 2 D men - that being said, you are on the right track of moving a player who will command a high AAV contract (Marner) to fill the missing link the Leafs need.

Reactions: attackfan71

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Pro-tip: If you're going to trade a young player of Marner's calibre, you don't trade him for a couple good defenseman. You trade him 1-for-1 or Marner + for an amazing defenseman who is going to be a cornerstone.

Marner is a great player, but there has always been a higher value to D men in the league. Dumba and Spurgeon are very solid D men and would help the roster out a lot. I do agree to see if there is a fishing expedition to get an elite D man for Marner + but in all fairness if you watched Dumba play this year, he is really starting to find his groove. Spurgeon is steady Eddie who everyone overlooks because he doesnt post 60 points a season, but is a very good D man.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
You want to talk about winning a stanley cup? Why don't you rewatch the playoff games, and then come back and tell us who the leading scorer on the team was? It was Marner by a large margin, who was one of the only warriors on the team oozing with heart.

You do not move guys like Marner. If Marner was moved, I would be very, very pissed... To the point where I would probably take a step back as a fan. You just don't move him.

Marner is there with Matthews. The Hawks don't win those cups without Kane.

Wow so Marner is the new Patrick Kane? Damn Leaf fans think highly of Marner. Couple things hold true for the Leafs
(1) You are top heavy
(2) You were suspect on D in the playoffs
(3) Next season there will be some serious contracts being handed out - you need to find a way to handle this

Marner is a good player for sure - but you need some D. The Blackhawks didn't win their cups because of Kane. The 09-10 run, Toews was the man forward but most of all Keith, Seabrook and Byfuglien played lights out - in the 14-15 cup run it may as well have been call the Duncan Keith show. If you see a reoccuring theme, its that you need that stud D man to elevate the team to the next level.

It is a team game and having Tavares and Matthews is stupidly epic for centres, but if you want that cup who is stepping up as your Stud D man?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
First off let me say I’m a leaf fan have been all my life. And most leaf fans won’t like this at all. But I can see marner pricing himself out of leafs cap space available. He is also the most valuable trade chip we have. With the Center depth we have we don’t need marner to drive a line. Mathews, Johnny T and Kadri are all capable of doing that. We also have a lot of depth on the right wing. Again I’m not saying anyone is as good as marner. But if he is wanting 9-10 mil then I would rather spend that on defence. I know this won’t be the most favorite proposal cause most of our fans love marner and rightfully so but I’m looking at long term win cups type team not outscore teams in regular season. And then come playoffs not being able to shut down opposing team

I find it shocking youre keeping Kadri over Marner.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
There's a new thing called a salary cap. It's imperative you have some excellent "bang for buck" contracts when building a team to challenge for the cup every year. That's what Kadri is. Kadri is also an infinitely better centreman over MM16.

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Reason you keep Kadri is his 4.5 mil AAV is a huge bargain and is widely considered a top 2C or weak 1C just cause he is 3C on leafs if one of the top two get hurt he can jump up with out missing a beat on your top two lines. and Center depth is always more valuable to a team them a dynamic winger who will asking for Kane type money without winning anything at this point in his career. Marner also fetched more trade value. So I call that a win win for leafs by keeping the bargain contract and selling high on marner. ( I think of price here widely regarded as top5 goalie in the league before his contract. Afterwards still regarded as topgoalie but the contract kills his value.) there is only so much money to go around. And I’ll say it again if marner takes 7.5m x8y then I keep him and move nylander. It’s all about value for money spent. It’s no longer just pure talent when building a Stanley cup champion. You have to maximize your cap as well.

I look at this trade this way
Marner>>>>>spurgeon=>dumba>>zaitsev.
Don’t worry about how many >there are my point is marner is best player in the deal and one of those defensemen doesn’t get uou marner. And marner alone doesn’t get you both. Therefore zaitsev added in so wild still have #4rhd. I’m sure the leafs would still have to add something in a b level prospect.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I must have misunderstood. Please elaborate
Relatively close doesn’t mean equal. In simple terms Marner is a 90 overall, Dumba is an 88 overall. And to the poster I quoted implying that Zaitsev is equal to Dumba, Zaitsev is like a 78 overall and is way overpriced for what he brings.

Marner has + value for being younger.
Dumba has + value for being a RHD.

The difference between Marner and Dumba isn’t some huge gap like it is with Dumba and Zaitsev.

Reactions: TaLoN

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Wow so Marner is the new Patrick Kane? Damn Leaf fans think highly of Marner. Couple things hold true for the Leafs
(1) You are top heavy
(2) You were suspect on D in the playoffs
(3) Next season there will be some serious contracts being handed out - you need to find a way to handle this

Marner is a good player for sure - but you need some D. The Blackhawks didn't win their cups because of Kane. The 09-10 run, Toews was the man forward but most of all Keith, Seabrook and Byfuglien played lights out - in the 14-15 cup run it may as well have been call the Duncan Keith show. If you see a reoccuring theme, its that you need that stud D man to elevate the team to the next level.

It is a team game and having Tavares and Matthews is stupidly epic for centres, but if you want that cup who is stepping up as your Stud D man?

Who was Pittsburgh's stud D-man in 2017?

Please, we lost to your Bruins in 7 and then you lost in 5 because nobody outside your first line could score. In games 2-5, David Krejci was the only Bruin forward not named Marchand, Bergeron, or Pastrnak to score. It's hilarious that you would call us top heavy while you've got the most dominant 1st line in the league and ended up losing lost because of your depth. The Bruins let in 39 goals in 11 games, please don't bother lecturing us on how bad our defense is, especially since we allowed fewer goals than the Caps in the regular season. It's absolutely shocking that your top line lit us up, oh wait, they combined for 23 points against the Lightning too. I bet you're not posting about how bad the Lightning's D is.

And if you want to read up on the Leafs cap situation there has been about a dozen articles posted and hundreds of pages on the mainboards about that very topic. Perhaps you should read some and see why the Leafs will be totally fine handing out those serious contracts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean in your world Dumba and Zaitsev have equal value. Can I interest you in Foligno for Nylander? It’s basically the same thing.

dumba is a negative possession player in middling matchup usage. Zaitsev is a slightly worse possession player in top matchup usage. dumba is better offensively, but Zaitsev is significantly cheaper

comparing dumba to Marner is just dumba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad