Proposal: Wild leafs.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
The guy? Peter Chiarelli. The guy that got fired almost two years later for missing the playoff? I'm sure the trade didn't help his standing in Boston, but wasn't why he was fired. GM Kekaleinen traded Ryan Johansson a couple of years ago and he is still employed with the same organization. Granted both of those players were in the need of a change in scenery in a most dire way. It is rare, but #1Cs do get moved. The Wild are consistently drafting in the 20's in the first round. Not too many potential 1Cs available there typically. Beside even if there was one available we'd probably opt for a "safe" pick. I love my Wild, but it is a safe low risk organization.

Talon said GM in his right mind. ;) Bergevin and his mind had an amicable split a few years ago.

IMO noticeable difference between a 21 year old seguin and RJ what ever age he was when traded. Even rn seguin>RJ IMO

i like RJ for a 2a centre not a 1C IMO as well

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
And Leaf fans wonder why they are not liked - you are right your team is the best, best forwards, best defense, best goalie.....the cup is coming yet again next year to Toronto. Not sure why my being a Bruins fan and making a comment that is well known that the Leafs need some D help, but again I guess the truth hurts all Leaf fans unless we are praising how good they are.

You keep chirping about about comments that weren't even part of the thread to deflect from the original statements. Then make asinine comments about knowing depth and that fact that cups are all won with out D men, pointing out GA of the Bruins in the playoffs etc (which had no context to the conversation). Matter of fact maybe we should turn this into a trade Reilly thread to add some more forward depth to the none top heavy Leafs roster?

Wish you and your team all the best next season and I look forward to having a drink downtown the ACC/Scotiabank Centre after their cup victory.
Don’t use the word all leaf fans some of us can see how much cap is spent on forwards and can recongnize we need two solid defencemen. Reilly is in my opinion right now a aversge#2. Still room for improvement and I think he will but he will never be a #1. Gardner is a #4 zaitsev is a #5 hainsey is a borderline #4 with the right partner and I will project dermott to top out at a #3. Carrick and the rest are at best #6 and #7. Now you can look at that and say hey we are not that bad off we have 4 top4 defencemen. Problem is three of them are on the left side and the only rhd is aging and is borderline #4 at this point in his career. Hence why I made the post. And regardless of many of my fellow leaf fans that think marner should never be traded. My opinion stands that he is the best one to trade when you figure in everything and not just talent. I can understand minny saying no. And I can respect that.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
And Leaf fans wonder why they are not liked - you are right your team is the best, best forwards, best defense, best goalie.....the cup is coming yet again next year to Toronto. Not sure why my being a Bruins fan and making a comment that is well known that the Leafs need some D help, but again I guess the truth hurts all Leaf fans unless we are praising how good they are.

You keep chirping about about comments that weren't even part of the thread to deflect from the original statements. Then make asinine comments about knowing depth and that fact that cups are all won with out D men, pointing out GA of the Bruins in the playoffs etc (which had no context to the conversation). Matter of fact maybe we should turn this into a trade Reilly thread to add some more forward depth to the none top heavy Leafs roster?

Wish you and your team all the best next season and I look forward to having a drink downtown the ACC/Scotiabank Centre after their cup victory.
If you had any evidence of the Leafs needing defensive help other than Jake DeBrusk scoring a goal, I might be inclined to care. I'm quite well aware of where the Leafs need improvements, you've just added nothing to the conversation that I haven't seen 18 times before. We talk about the salary cap and the defence on our own boards. It gets talked about on the main boards. It gets talked about on Reddit and the Leafs Reddit. The athletic writes about it. The Sun writes about it. TSN writes about it. They have absolutely been beaten to death and so I really don't care about the same tired arguments from someone who hasn't read any of the material or has chosen to completely ignore any of the Leafs reasoning for why we might be okay to improve our defence without trading Nylander or Marner. And it's astonishingly cliche that the response to pushback is "omg lulz Leafs r perfect plan the parade"

You also managed to completely miss the part where I said that we do need to improve the D, we just don't need to be so much better that it costs us Marner. But sure, that means I'm planning the parade.

This conversation is so hfboards it hurts.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
IMO noticeable difference between a 21 year old seguin and RJ what ever age he was when traded. Even rn seguin>RJ IMO

i like RJ for a 2a centre not a 1C IMO as well
Not really much difference in my eyes. Both players were trending upward putting very respectable numbers, although I think Boston was using Seguin more in a wing role with them having Bergeron and Krejci. Actually put up similar numbers, but both players desperately needed a change of scenery; and maybe a little maturity. You put a Jamie Benn level scorer on RyJo's wing I'm certain he would put up the gaudy numbers Seguin has been doing in Dallas. I say this all not intending to downplay either player. I think both players are legit #1Cs. As a Wild fan, and them being in our division. I hate them both. The highest praise I can give for skilled guys like Johansen and Seguin.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Not really much difference in my eyes. Both players were trending upward putting very respectable numbers, although I think Boston was using Seguin more in a wing role with them having Bergeron and Krejci. Actually put up similar numbers, but both players desperately needed a change of scenery; and maybe a little maturity. You put a Jamie Benn level scorer on RyJo's wing I'm certain he would put up the gaudy numbers Seguin has been doing in Dallas. I say this all not intending to downplay either player. I think both players are legit #1Cs. As a Wild fan, and them being in our division. I hate them both. The highest praise I can give for skilled guys like Johansen and Seguin.

I could tell you the real reason seguin got traded pm me.

Just on a side note..whats up with Miko Koivu of late i use to love the guy

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I could tell you the real reason seguin got traded pm me.

Just on a side note..whats up with Miko Koivu of late i use to love the guy
He's still the same Mikko he's always been. A little older and a little slower, but still Selke worthy defense. I think some Wild fans are a little sour as he has always been a little overpaid for his production. He's always had his detractors because he was never a true #1C, but pretty much always was top lining it because he was the best center we had until Staal. Still a very good #2C that has some chemistry with fellow Finn Granlund.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
If you had any evidence of the Leafs needing defensive help other than Jake DeBrusk scoring a goal, I might be inclined to care. I'm quite well aware of where the Leafs need improvements, you've just added nothing to the conversation that I haven't seen 18 times before. We talk about the salary cap and the defence on our own boards. It gets talked about on the main boards. It gets talked about on Reddit and the Leafs Reddit. The athletic writes about it. The Sun writes about it. TSN writes about it. They have absolutely been beaten to death and so I really don't care about the same tired arguments from someone who hasn't read any of the material or has chosen to completely ignore any of the Leafs reasoning for why we might be okay to improve our defence without trading Nylander or Marner. And it's astonishingly cliche that the response to pushback is "omg lulz Leafs r perfect plan the parade"

You also managed to completely miss the part where I said that we do need to improve the D, we just don't need to be so much better that it costs us Marner. But sure, that means I'm planning the parade.

This conversation is so hfboards it hurts.

I never once made a comment about DeBrusk, not sure why you keep trying to deflect back to the Bruins....again the Leafs are awesome they need nothing. You are right, stud D men are a dime dozen and moving an asset were you have multiples for an are you are weaker in makes no sense.

Again the original comments were about being top heavy, needing D and the contract situation - to which you apparently took offense to and looks to be now conceding... enjoy the parade this year, like I said, I will definitely have a drink during the party.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I never once made a comment about DeBrusk, not sure why you keep trying to deflect back to the Bruins....again the Leafs are awesome they need nothing. You are right, stud D men are a dime dozen and moving an asset were you have multiples for an are you are weaker in makes no sense.

Again the original comments were about being top heavy, needing D and the contract situation - to which you apparently took offense to and looks to be now conceding... enjoy the parade this year, like I said, I will definitely have a drink during the party.
In the first post of yours I replied to, you said "Your D was suspect in the playoffs", it was your second point. This is why I've been flippantly referring to your top line and Jake DeBrusk. Your top line lit us on fire and then lit Norris winner Victor Herman on fire too for 23 points in 5 games. I keep bringing up the Bruins because all 7 games in the sample size that you referred to where our D was suspect were played against the Bruins. The Bruins are highly relevant to your comment. Plus, in the 82 games regular season, the Leafs had the 12th best GA in the league, which is actually not that suspect. They were suspect in the playoffs, but a Norris winner and a Vezina nominee were also suspect against the same players, so im really not losing sleep there.

Stud dmen aren't dime a dozen, I know that lol. But the 12th best GA team who allowed fewer goals in the regular season than the Lightning or the Caps don't need a brand new stud #1 defenceman that would cost us Marner. I have not once claimed the Leafs don't need a defenceman and I have not once claimed that elite players are cheap to acquire. I am claiming that the Leafs can upgrade their defence enough without trading one of their forwards.

Maybe somebody else will engage with you on the contracts or why the 12th best GA team isn't actually the worst defence in the league, but I've spent more than enough time in those salt mines lately in different threads and am utterly uninterested in doing so again. If you're interested in learning more about it, I'd recommend checking out some Athletic articles if you have the subscription, browsing the Leafs boards here or on Reddit, or just googling Leafs defence articles and cap situation articles and reading what you find. Maybe if you read it from someone who isn't a hurt-durr Parade planner Leafs poster, you'll be more inclined to consider that there are some compelling arguments.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
In the first post of yours I replied to, you said "Your D was suspect in the playoffs", it was your second point. This is why I've been flippantly referring to your top line and Jake DeBrusk. Your top line lit us on fire and then lit Norris winner Victor Herman on fire too for 23 points in 5 games. I keep bringing up the Bruins because all 7 games in the sample size that you referred to where our D was suspect were played against the Bruins. The Bruins are highly relevant to your comment. Plus, in the 82 games regular season, the Leafs had the 12th best GA in the league, which is actually not that suspect. They were suspect in the playoffs, but a Norris winner and a Vezina nominee were also suspect against the same players, so im really not losing sleep there.

Stud dmen aren't dime a dozen, I know that lol. But the 12th best GA team who allowed fewer goals in the regular season than the Lightning or the Caps don't need a brand new stud #1 defenceman that would cost us Marner. I have not once claimed the Leafs don't need a defenceman and I have not once claimed that elite players are cheap to acquire. I am claiming that the Leafs can upgrade their defence enough without trading one of their forwards.

Maybe somebody else will engage with you on the contracts or why the 12th best GA team isn't actually the worst defence in the league, but I've spent more than enough time in those salt mines lately in different threads and am utterly uninterested in doing so again. If you're interested in learning more about it, I'd recommend checking out some Athletic articles if you have the subscription, browsing the Leafs boards here or on Reddit, or just googling Leafs defence articles and cap situation articles and reading what you find. Maybe if you read it from someone who isn't a hurt-durr Parade planner Leafs poster, you'll be more inclined to consider that there are some compelling arguments.

Hey like I said, you are right about everything...wish you and the team the best pal :)

Reactions: LeafGrief

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs trade ——-marner and zaitsev
Wild trade —— dumba and spurgeon
May need to add draft pick or b level prospect to level things out. But I think it’s fairly close.
A potential playoff calibre defence:

Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

The call-ups:
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

The future additions:
Sandin Liljegren

The strategy should be to develop the right side and go shopping at the deadline after some prospects get to split the first 60 nhl games to develop this year.

If we can add a dman at the deadline without removing anything from our NHL team, why not do that? ie. Picks/prospects.

If one of the prospects step up, like Dermott last year, Leafs may not need to rush into a trade at all.

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
A potential playoff calibre defence:

Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

The call-ups:
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

The future additions:
Sandin Liljegren

The strategy should be to develop the right side and go shopping at the deadline after some prospects get to split the first 60 nhl games to develop this year.

If we can add a dman at the deadline without removing anything from our NHL team, why not do that? ie. Picks/prospects.

If one of the prospects step up, like Dermott last year, Leafs may not need to rush into a trade at all.
I agree this is a potential playoff caliber defence. But my proposal was to make the leafs a potential Stanley cup champions defence. Now remove zaitsev and carrick and insert dumba and spurgeon and even you can see the difference in the quality of the defence other teams would have to face

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I agree this is a potential playoff caliber defence. But my proposal was to make the leafs a potential Stanley cup champions defence. Now remove zaitsev and carrick and insert dumba and spurgeon and even you can see the difference in the quality of the defence other teams would have to face

Why don't we make that decision at the deadline after we play some prospects for 60 games.

No need to rush a trade now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad