Proposal: Wild Leafs

Kase

May 1, 2016
I'd easily take Klefbom and Faulk over Spurgeon. The others I agree with.

Never been big fan of Faulk. He scores more goals than Spurgeon, but that's about it. Defensively there's no contest.

Klefbom and Spurgeon I have in the same tier, I just prefer Spurgeon over him, but I can see why someone would take Klefbom instead.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For Spurgeon I would offer Kapanen and a 2nd. Don't think he's anything more than a 3D

This post says more about you than it does Spurgeon. He would be the top Dman on the Leafs.

I don't think the Wild can afford to let go of their top RHD. This is in no way a reflection on Marner's value.

I also don't think that the Leafs should let go of Marner. Too young, too much talent, and the Leafs are a perfect fit. So he's having a slow start to the season....be patient.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So the Leafs have a small defence and the answer is to get a small defenceman?

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Spurgeon does not play like a small D. he would be the leafs best Dman by a mile. And IMHO is top 20-25 dman in the league.

Though this is like the only way in the world the leafs can make a 1 for 1 trade with marner and end up getting smaller lol

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Boudreau has said that Spurgeon is the best D man he has coached, so Ill just take his word for it.

People should maybe even just google a player before they make misinformed statements.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Spurgeon had Rielly's contract I'd strongly consider this. He's a hugely underrated 1/2D and represents a way better fix than a lot of the younger/ "sexier" names thrown around.

That being said, being only 2 full seasons from UFA makes it a no go for a core asset like Marner. Would pay through the nose in futures though

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There's no way we could trade Spurgeon for futures. Going by both management and the coaching staff's opinion of him, I'm skeptical that they'd be willing to move him for anything reasonable. He's a keystone player for the Wild.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This post says more about you than it does Spurgeon. He would be the top Dman on the Leafs.

I don't think the Wild can afford to let go of their top RHD. This is in no way a reflection on Marner's value.

I also don't think that the Leafs should let go of Marner. Too young, too much talent, and the Leafs are a perfect fit. So he's having a slow start to the season....be patient.

Never understood this response. Bozak would be the best center on the habs, should they trade their cupboard for him? Leafs want a defense that competes for the cups. That means, they don't want a guy who is the best D on the team, they want a guy who would be a top guy on a cup team.

And it is not at all clear that Spurgeon would be the better player, considering he plays with Suter in a defensive system.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I'm impressed OP, there aren't many trade offers you could make for Marner that would result in the team getting even smaller.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Never understood this response. Bozak would be the best center on the habs, should they trade their cupboard for him? Leafs want a defense that competes for the cups. That means, they don't want a guy who is the best D on the team, they want a guy who would be a top guy on a cup team.

And it is not at all clear that Spurgeon would be the better player, considering he plays with Suter in a defensive system.
I'm confused about how that first statement relates to anything. I'm also very confused by the second sentence. You don't become a "Cup team" until you actually win one. So if you acquire a defenseman that is better than the group you currently have, you are getting a top guy for your team. Maybe they win the Cup; maybe they don't. But don't use this subjective, poor thinking of "Well, I don't think this player is that good (not that I really know anything about him) so I'm going to give a hand-wavey excuse as to why I don't want him."

Also, I wouldn't really call the Wild a defense first team anymore under Boudreau. Our defense routinely tries to jump in and provide offense. Problem is, our forwards aren't playing well right now so we aren't scoring as much.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm confused about how that first statement relates to anything. I'm also very confused by the second sentence. You don't become a "Cup team" until you actually win one. So if you acquire a defenseman that is better than the group you currently have, you are getting a top guy for your team. Maybe they win the Cup; maybe they don't. But don't use this subjective, poor thinking of "Well, I don't think this player is that good (not that I really know anything about him) so I'm going to give a hand-wavey excuse as to why I don't want him."

Also, I wouldn't really call the Wild a defense first team anymore under Boudreau. Our defense routinely tries to jump in and provide offense. Problem is, our forwards aren't playing well right now so we aren't scoring as much.

My point was that the Leafs will not sell the farm unless it's for a clear #1 who will lead the defense to a cup. Leafs have tons of 2nd pairing D and three guys who can play at a high end #3 level and at a good top pairing level. He does not add anything. Add onto that Borgman who has been good, Dermott who looks ready to step into a top 4 D spot, and Liljgren who also projects as a top 4 D, and trading a future elite winger for a high end 2nd pairing D does nothing for us.

Really blows my mind people can bash the Oilers for the Hall - Larsson deal, and then suggest in their next breath the Leafs make the same type of deal. Marner is not a bust. He has looked good in more games than he has not. He will rebound, and still can be a PPG winger. He will not be traded for all these 2nd pairing D that this board is opposed with suggesting.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

Never understood posts like this... How can a team that was #2 in GF have a defensive system? You are aware that Bruce Boudreau is our coach, no?

Spurgeon is Wild's best skater and easily a Top 20 D in NHL.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think it's unfair to point out that Spurgeon plays with one of the better defensive partners in the league, on a team that plays solid team defense. Unless you watch a whole lot of him it isn't obvious that his play would translate to a situation without those advantages.

Reactions: Tuntrui

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Spurgeon is a 5'8", unsigned 6th round pick that earned an ELC based on his performance at a Taverse City Rookie tournament, and played 11 games in the AHL before earning a callup. On that callup, he earned his NHL spot for good.

No one handed Spurgeon a single minute in the NHL with his background. He's earned every increase in minutes and increase in responsibility with his play. He plays with Suter because he's shown he's a top pairing defensmen, and top pairing defensemen generally play on the top pairing. He literally might be better than Suter at this point. Suter's numbers take a far bigger dive away from Spurgeon, than Spurgeon's do away from Suter.

By any statistical measure, Spurgeon is a top 30 defender in the league. Given he ranks highly basically everywhere, without a weak spot. He's probably closer to 15th in the league.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't think it's unfair to point out that Spurgeon plays with one of the better defensive partners in the league, on a team that plays solid team defense. Unless you watch a whole lot of him it isn't obvious that his play would translate to a situation without those advantages.
It doesn't really hold up to closer scrutiny though, which also isn't unfair to point out. He plays with Suter because he crushed it with Scandella, Stoner, Brodin, basically anyone that's ever lined up to the left him over his entire career.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It doesn't really hold up to closer scrutiny though, which also isn't unfair to point out. He plays with Suter because he crushed it with Scandella, Stoner, Brodin, basically anyone that's ever lined up to the left him over his entire career.
Ultimately I agree, I can just understand the skepticism from fans that haven't looked into it much. It's not skepticism that holds up to scrutiny, though.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
My point was that the Leafs will not sell the farm unless it's for a clear #1 who will lead the defense to a cup. Leafs have tons of 2nd pairing D and three guys who can play at a high end #3 level and at a good top pairing level. He does not add anything. Add onto that Borgman who has been good, Dermott who looks ready to step into a top 4 D spot, and Liljgren who also projects as a top 4 D, and trading a future elite winger for a high end 2nd pairing D does nothing for us.

Really blows my mind people can bash the Oilers for the Hall - Larsson deal, and then suggest in their next breath the Leafs make the same type of deal. Marner is not a bust. He has looked good in more games than he has not. He will rebound, and still can be a PPG winger. He will not be traded for all these 2nd pairing D that this board is opposed with suggesting.

Jared Spurgeon is MILES ahead of any leafs D. I am a leafs fan. You are trading away an elite winger for market value. Elite winger=great top pairing D man. You are not trading him as a bust. No bust would get anwhere near a spurgeon level Dman.

Spurgeon is a top D man. He plays with Suter but ask wild fans. Many would say he is the strongest D man today. This would help the leafs win now, and into the future.

The difference betwen Marner and Kappanen to a winning team is far smaller then the difference between Spurgeon and Polak/Carrick. There is a drop off between Marner and Kappanen. But between Spurgeon and Carrick.Polak the difference is monumental. That is the difference between a contender and a bubble team.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
There's no way we could trade Spurgeon for futures. Going by both management and the coaching staff's opinion of him, I'm skeptical that they'd be willing to move him for anything reasonable. He's a keystone player for the Wild.

That's fair. Spurgeon in a Leafs jersey has been a hope of mine for a couple of years now, no real way to make it happen. Great player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad