Proposal: Wild Leafs

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I mean, it's fair... But if I were the Leafs I would politely decline. Would rather keep Marner.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Love Spurgeon, but Marner's upside is too good to pass.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think if the Leafs moved a guy like Marner it would be to get a better defenceman, with all due respect to Spurgeon.

Reactions: one77

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
There are few defence I would take over Spurgeon, especially with that contract.....

Hannofin? Who else would be realistic? Spurgeon is better then Noah right now and is still young enough to be part of the core for the next 5 years. Hes playing 25+ minutes a night on a team with stacked D for a reason

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
There's a short list of players who I would trade Marner for and Spurgeon is not on it. No disrespect, but the targets would be of a higher tier of player.

Reactions: one77

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I certainly won't turn my nose up at the value, but I can't see either team being interested in moving their respective players right now. Obviously the Wild would have to consider it if the offer was made for some weird reason, but losing Spurgeon would be a pretty seismic move for us.

Kase

May 1, 2016
I think the value is there.. Spurgeon is terrific player, easily top 30 dman in the league, but maybe Toronto would like someone with more term if they are trading Marner? As a Wild fan I would probably say no to this trade, because losing Spurgeon would kill the defence, and he is probably my favorite player too.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
how bout:

marner + zaitsev + 4th

for

spurgeon + kunin

theres no way minnesota would do spurgeon for marner because they would lose a top-4 dman but if they get a dman back, then they could probably flip a forward to us.

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
I think the value is there.. Spurgeon is terrific player, easily top 30 dman in the league, but maybe Toronto would like someone with more term if they are trading Marner? As a Wild fan I would probably say no to this trade, because losing Spurgeon would kill the defence, and he is probably my favorite player too.

Top 30 Dman? I think you're mistaken. Lemme name some defensemen (in no particular order)
Karlsson
Hedman
Burns
OEL
P.K.
Josi
Weber
Doughty
Keith
Letang
Suter
Byfuglien
Werenski
Jones
Pietrangelo
Hamilton
Giordano
McDonagh
Fowler
Ekblad
Klefbom
Slavin
Faulk
Brodie
Carlson
Vlasic
Lindholm
Ristolainen
Ekholm
Stralman

Surely you don't think Spurgeon is better than anyone here?

Kase

May 1, 2016
Top 30 Dman? I think you're mistaken. Lemme name some defensemen (in no particular order)
Karlsson
Hedman
Burns
OEL
P.K.
Josi
Weber
Doughty
Keith
Letang
Suter
Byfuglien
Werenski
Jones
Pietrangelo
Hamilton
Giordano
McDonagh
Fowler
Ekblad
Klefbom

Slavin
Faulk
Brodie
Carlson
Vlasic
Lindholm
Ristolainen
Ekholm
Stralman

I bolded the ones who I think are worse than Spurgeon. He is at worst elite #2, one of the best in the league.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Karlsson
Hedman
Burns
OEL
P.K.
Josi
Weber
Doughty
Keith
Letang
Suter
Byfuglien
Werenski
Jones
Pietrangelo
Hamilton
Giordano
McDonagh
Fowler
Ekblad
Klefbom

Slavin
Faulk
Brodie
Carlson
Vlasic
Lindholm
Ristolainen
Ekholm
Stralman

Risto and carlson were both amusing. The others aren't crazy, I just disagree.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon is clearly a top 30 Dman. If you don't think so, you are not paying attention.

Reactions: Tuntrui

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There's a short list of players who I would trade Marner for and Spurgeon is not on it. No disrespect, but the targets would be of a higher tier of player.

That may be true, buy you're not going to get a higher tiered player, they're simply not available.

Spurgeon is a good top pairing Dman signed to a very team friendly deal and he's also still on the right side of 30 for a couple more years.

I doubt he'd even be available for Marner. It's the premium that is placed on Dmen right now. Unless you draft one yourself they're very hard to acquire.

I think Toronto is best off hanging onto the young trio, and start focusing on drafting Dmen high in the draft like they did with Liljegren. At least for the next couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad