• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
By next year ROR, Hunt and S JO will have plenty of AHL experience. part of the problem is that Mermis was up for most of the year. He was their captain down in iowa, and a steadying influence. He's a classic tweener, but down in Iowa he's effective. surprisingly strong and tough, too.

I want our young Dmen in Iowa to get lots of TOI. Army seldom used them in PP spots, preferring veterans there. That might help the AHL team a bit, but it sure doesn't help the young guys develop into anything other than bang it up the boards types. This year, Hunt, S JO, and even Spacek have been getting PP TOI. That's what i want to see.
Yeah, the continued development of the prospects into AHL vets themselves should be considered. If you think they can hold down the fort better next year than they did this year, maybe you can hold off on a vet for the AHL team. I didn't say this outright before, but I didn't mean that they should employ a top-pairing AHL vet, just a middle of the road one who is solid defensively. A guy who could play in the 4th-5th defenseman spots and not be overwhelmed.

Mermis is a UFA, so I'm not sure he'll be around next year. If he (or someone like him) were though, can you rely on him being on the AHL team instead of the NHL one? It would require Hunt (or another prospect) to make the NHL team over him, or for the NHL defense to stay healthier. Maybe both. Alternatively, the MN Wild could sign a defenseman, if they have the cap.

What is Iowa's defense next year? I imagine something like:
Lambos - Johansson (if re-signed)
O'Rourke - Spacek
Peart - Masters
???

I like the left side more than the right, for sure. It feels to me like Peart is buried here, so I'm not sure this really holds up to reality. Someone might end up playing off-hand.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I completely disagree the the defense is the biggest issue. We have zero second day scoring threat. None. If the top line gets shut down for any reason we aren’t scoring. We were bottom 1/3rd in gpg and that was with one of the best top lines in the game. We need a significant line driving winger for the 2nd line and we need Yurov to be a homerun or we are f***ed.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Yeah, the continued development of the prospects into AHL vets themselves should be considered. If you think they can hold down the fort better next year than they did this year, maybe you can hold off on a vet for the AHL team. I didn't say this outright before, but I didn't mean that they should employ a top-pairing AHL vet, just a middle of the road one who is solid defensively. A guy who could play in the 4th-5th defenseman spots and not be overwhelmed.

Mermis is a UFA, so I'm not sure he'll be around next year. If he (or someone like him) were though, can you rely on him being on the AHL team instead of the NHL one? It would require Hunt (or another prospect) to make the NHL team over him, or for the NHL defense to stay healthier. Maybe both. Alternatively, the MN Wild could sign a defenseman, if they have the cap.

What is Iowa's defense next year? I imagine something like:
Lambos - Johansson (if re-signed)
O'Rourke - Spacek
Peart - Masters
???

I like the left side more than the right, for sure. It feels to me like Peart is buried here, so I'm not sure this really holds up to reality. Someone might end up playing off-hand.
Re: the veteran D in Iowa. Don't be surprised if they do sign a Vet to play in Iowa. It's been alluded to in a couple Athletic articles, on Iowa broadcasts, etc. that veteran leadership/presence was missing on the backend. Mermis wasn't there long enough, Butcher didn't seem to have that competitiveness/mentorship quality, and Miller is not that player, either. For those of you that have followed along in Iowa, they have been a mess in terms of being prepared/showing up to play at the beginning of the game. Shaw had a closed door meeting with them and they played well for a week or so. Last weekend Fogarty was the one to chew guys out and then they responded. To me, this shows that Mclean and Co or something is extremely wrong, but none of the youngsters , regardless of how many AHL games they have played, has demonstrated that vet presence yet.

Does this mean its a top tweener to take a ton of minutes away, I have no idea. We all obviously want the young guys that have a possible future with the Wild to get the most minutes, but when it comes to development, there is more to it then just throwing 6 young guys out there and say go figure it out. Because clearly that hasn't worked.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Re: the veteran D in Iowa. Don't be surprised if they do sign a Vet to play in Iowa. It's been alluded to in a couple Athletic articles, on Iowa broadcasts, etc. that veteran leadership/presence was missing on the backend. Mermis wasn't there long enough, Butcher didn't seem to have that competitiveness/mentorship quality, and Miller is not that player, either. For those of you that have followed along in Iowa, they have been a mess in terms of being prepared/showing up to play at the beginning of the game. Shaw had a closed door meeting with them and they played well for a week or so. Last weekend Fogarty was the one to chew guys out and then they responded. To me, this shows that Mclean and Co or something is extremely wrong, but none of the youngsters , regardless of how many AHL games they have played, has demonstrated that vet presence yet.

Does this mean its a top tweener to take a ton of minutes away, I have no idea. We all obviously want the young guys that have a possible future with the Wild to get the most minutes, but when it comes to development, there is more to it then just throwing 6 young guys out there and say go figure it out. Because clearly that hasn't worked.
McLean was sort of why I off-handedly mentioned coaching earlier. He was a mediocre-at-best powerplay coach, so he gets... promoted to develop the kids in Iowa? That's a little scary. I know there were player-personnel changes, so I'm hesitant to lay it at his feet, but Iowa was a playoff team (barely) last year, and became a bottom feeder the moment he took over.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
McLean was sort of why I off-handedly mentioned coaching earlier. He was a mediocre-at-best powerplay coach, so he gets... promoted to develop the kids in Iowa? That's a little scary. I know there were player-personnel changes, so I'm hesitant to lay it at his feet, but Iowa was a playoff team (barely) last year, and became a bottom feeder the moment he took over.
I know there are some that disagree with me, and that's fine, but from the different lines almost every game to the in-game decisions, and just how he comes across with his interviews and body language during games leaves a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad