Proposal: Wild-Hurricanes (+ Carolina offseason signing )

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
This proposal is just terrible and makes no sense at all in anyway for the wild.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think CAR is interested in trading away their young cost controlled talent for older slower expensive talent. Esp now that they are about ready to take the next step. Just my take.

Mikael Granlund is 26yr old. I wouldnt exactly call that old. Signing him to a 4-5 x 7M contract gives Hurricanes his prime years and he will Still be able to sign another lucrative contract after that

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Mikael Granlund is 26yr old. I wouldnt exactly call that old. Signing him to a 4-5 x 7M contract gives Hurricanes his prime years and he will Still be able to sign another lucrative contract after that
I can almost guarantee you that the Canes will not be trading for a guy they like with only one year of term left after their experience with the Ferland contract situation. Too much risk that they will ask for more than is reasonable to the team.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Couldn't agree more. The Mild really should blow up their operation and start from a clean slate instead of waiting that the value of their remaining assets dilute to non-existence. Just try to gather as many 1st round picks possible and start fresh.

This is exactly what this trade does for Wild. They get a promising prospect, a 1st and a cost-controlled young D in Pesce. They can then trade Spurgeon for another package of "promising prospect", pick and cost-controlled forward. Parise, Suter, and Koivu are the reasons Wild wont be able to contend any time soon. All are old, Parise&Suter are on long expensive contracts and Koivu is beginning to show his age and declining. I`d blow it up now and try to fetch as many picks and prospects I`d get for players and do a proper rebuild if I were the owner of The Minnesota Wild.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I can almost guarantee you that the Canes will not be trading for a guy they like with only one year of term left after their experience with the Ferland contract situation. Too much risk that they will ask for more than is reasonable to the team.

I expect obviously there would be talks about an extension before the trade. I do believe there is a big chance of Granlund wanting to sign in Carolina. Aho and Teräväinen both play in the National Team with him and Canes are a promising, on-the-rise team.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Pretty brutal for Carolina honestly...young cost-controlled top pairing RHD going out (AND an unprotected 1st?) for 1 year of Granlund...woof. I'd love to have Granlund, but there's pretty much a 0% chance we're giving up Pesce for 1 year of him, that's just piss poor asset management. MAYBE if there's a good contract extension agreed on that changes. I also don't see the Wild wanting to give up KK, solid looking goalie prospect to step in behind DD, and goalies tend to be voodoo and have more value to their team than an inquiring team usually.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I expect obviously there would be talks about an extension before the trade. I do believe there is a big chance of Granlund wanting to sign in Carolina. Aho and Teräväinen both play in the National Team with him and Canes are a promising, on-the-rise team.
I don't think he'd avoid signing there, but it's probably going to take around $8m to get it done. Last summer his agent's rumored starting point was $10m, which makes me think he was probably hoping for high $8m's. Granlund's play this year should have tempered his expectations some, but it'd be important to extend him this summer and not risk him putting up 80+ points next to Svechnikov or something.

Reactions: jonlin

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Big no from the Canes, and the fit doesn't make sense for the Wild either.

Don't want to give up Pesce at all, let alone adding a 1st (and Necas was suggested as well?!?) for a guy who either leaves for UFA in a year or needs a raise to $8-10m.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Yeah this doesn't really make sense for either side. I like Granlund and would consider it fairer if he were signed for 4-5 more years. Canes don't need to be in the business of trading first round picks yet unless it's in a package for a young top six forward.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hilarious that Canes fans think that they are getting screwed in the proposed deal.
Maybe they don't know that;

- KK is the only legit G prospect they have to replace a fading Dubnyk.

-Don't know that not only would Pesce would be the 3rd best RHD on the Wild, but that having him would would make an already nightmarish Seattle ED scenario(where you can only protect 3D)even worse.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Fair enough. Carolina does have Kuokkanen, Saarela and Necas, who all are very promising prospects. Maybe something aroundthem could be done?

Carolina get:

Granlund
Kähkönen

Wild get:

-Pesce
-Necas/Saarela
-1st
Granlund+Kahkonen for Pesce+Necas+1st

I take that and run.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No from Carolina. I feel this is just a bad for.

We’re not going to trade Pesce for a player with one year before ufa.

Martinook just signed days ago - why would we turn around and trade him? What would that do to the teams reputation?

Also not excited about giving away an unprotected first (I wouldn’t count on the playoffs) or getting back Kahkonen.

Didn't hurt San Jose.

Reactions: Bazeek

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Big no from the Canes, and the fit doesn't make sense for the Wild either.

Don't want to give up Pesce at all, let alone adding a 1st (and Necas was suggested as well?!?) for a guy who either leaves for UFA in a year or needs a raise to $8-10m.

Granlund is a winger. A 60-70p winger at this point. I`d think that he will demand 7-7,5M and the term would be 4-5yrs. With more years he wont get another big contract since he is 26 and 27 when his contract expires. This makes all the sense in the World for Canes. They upgrade offense, which they lack and trades a prospect and 2nd pairing D, which they have a ton of. Getting an agreement with UFA E.Staal is also a factor in this trade. It`s a "Playoffs-NOW" move for the Canes.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Granlund is a winger. A 60-70p winger at this point. I`d think that he will demand 7-7,5M and the term would be 4-5yrs. With more years he wont get another big contract since he is 26 and 27 when his contract expires. This makes all the sense in the World for Canes. They upgrade offense, which they lack and trades a prospect and 2nd pairing D, which they have a ton of. Getting an agreement with UFA E.Staal is also a factor in this trade. It`s a "Playoffs-NOW" move for the Canes.
I'd be careful with this line of thinking. Granlund's current contract is his "show me" contract. He's going to want money and term on his next one.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Necas and saarela are not equal prospects. Necas>>>>

Saarela has been quite good in AHL. He is 0.75-0.8ppg with good hands and skating. Necas has a higher upside ofc. I do however expect Kuokkanen to become the best of theese 3

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Saarela has been quite good in AHL. He is 0.75-0.8ppg with good hands and skating. Necas has a higher upside ofc. I do however expect Kuokkanen to become the best of theese 3

Necas has the most high end skill set imo. If he pops, he’d probably be the best of the 3 imo. Kuokkanen will be a good one too tho.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'd be careful with this line of thinking. Granlund's current contract is his "show me" contract. He's going to want money and term on his next one.

Well, It`d be stupid of his to take a 7-8yr contract. Rather have a 4-5yr contract now, so you can sign another lucrative after that. Would be hard to get a long contract when 34-35yrs old. While Granlund is a good winger, he is not 9-10M good. And with Parises, Suters etc. contract, the Wild will certainly not pay him that. Wild need prospect and picks. They have a pretty mediocre pool. Canes have lots of thoose and also cap...

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Hilarious that Canes fans think that they are getting screwed in the proposed deal.
Maybe they don't know that;

- KK is the only legit G prospect they have to replace a fading Dubnyk.

-Don't know that not only would Pesce would be the 3rd best RHD on the Wild, but that having him would would make an already nightmarish Seattle ED scenario(where you can only protect 3D)even worse.

The fact its a bad fit for Minnesota doesn't make it good for the Canes either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad