Confirmed with Link: Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
It's interesting that once the Wild are in position to make a run at being a serious contender, we make a big time trade and bring in a top line player and everyone is freaking out. Would you rather have a deep prospect pool or make a serious run at a cup victory? It's easy for me. We aren't in dire need for a center at the time with Cullen flying and FBJ waiting in the wings. I want to win a cup first and foremost, having all these prospects is gravy. I love Larsson, but I love winning more.

Fletcher: "We have no first round pick this year, and no second next year"
Flahr: "Challenge accepted!"

There is no reason we can't do both, and from the way I see it, we are doing just that.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Would you rather have a deep prospect pool or make a serious run at a cup victory?

Why not both?

Here's the thing, are you going to say with a straight face that Stoner, Spurgeon, Falk, Prosser and Clark are quality depth defensemen?

Mumbler*

I think Minnesota did real well here.

They did give up quite a haul to get Pominville, but they dealt from their strengths (young forwards and goaltending) so it isn't like they crippled the organization.

And adding a proven goal scorer like Jason Pominville, who still has a year left after this one on his contract, can only help this team as they push on towards the playoffs.

Who knows, Minny may even find a way to get this guy an extension if they like his play here.
You know a guy like Matt Cullen won't be around forever and I suspect Minnesota would want to move away from a PM Bouchard for next season, and Pominville is a very good replacement on the forward lines for either of those two guys.

Have to give kudos to the Buffalo Sabres as well for getting what they did for Pominville.
Good young forward, a potential number one with Hackett (provided he goes back to the form he showed Minnesota last season), and of course the picks to further bolster their organization.

If I am a Buffalo fan, I am of course, NOT happy about the way the season has gone, nor the departures, but at least would be content that, in this particular case, Buffalo got about as much back as one could expect for their star forward.

Win-win for both Minny and Buffalo, IMO.

Totally agree. Nice post.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Has anyone heard if Pom is going to extend with Minnesota or if Minnesota has explored the options? Just preliminary talks?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
You guys got a great player. I'll be rooting for you. I don't care if it hurts the Sabres draft position. I've always loved Minnesota. Now they have two of my favorite players in Pominville and Parise.

This trade speaks volumes to the locker room as well. The GM believes in them. He thinks they're on the verge of becoming a contender. That brings excitement into the locker room. A team can feed off that.

Good luck going forward...I don't think you'll need too much, though.:)

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
You guys got a great player. I'll be rooting for you. I don't care if it hurts the Sabres draft position. I've always loved Minnesota. Now they have two of my favorite players in Pominville and Parise.

This trade speaks volumes to the locker room as well. The GM believes in them. He thinks they're on the verge of becoming a contender. That brings excitement into the locker room. A team can feed off that.

Boy why couldn't the Jersey, or Nashville fans been this nice last summer?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Here's a question... how long until a Wild Broadcast rips off the "Population of Pominville" call when he scores a goal?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Has anyone heard if Pom is going to extend with Minnesota or if Minnesota has explored the options? Just preliminary talks?
I'd be beyond shocked if Fletcher doesn't have a good indication of whether or not he'll re-sign. That seemed to be an important factor when he was considering Clowe. He said he wouldn't fork up picks and prospects for rentals. Yes, Pominville has another year left on his contract. But that's cutting it pretty close. Gotta think that Fletcher is very confident in getting an extension in place considering he threw the bank at Buffalo.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012

Thank you so much. Good luck to you. :)

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I should have clarified. There's no reason to not do both, and we are doing a good job of finding the balance between building for the future and building for the present. What I'm happy about is that we are adding top end talent for the present, and we still have a very good prospect pool.

And I agree, we are going nowhere fast with our current defense. But, I have complete faith in Fletch and co. that they can work their magic and improve it in the offseason. In a perfect world we add 2 more top 4 dmen.

Edit: Really excited to see Dumba's progress. I'd hope he can step in to the top 4 in two years.

Mumbler*

Why not both?

Here's the thing, are you going to say with a straight face that Stoner, Spurgeon, Falk, Prosser and Clark are quality depth defensemen?

5-7? yeah we can squeeze a couple of them into that spot.
Suter-Brodin
Gilbert-???
Spurgeon-Stoner/Falk/(this year clark)
Prosser - LATER

So depth, yeah we are good. top4 - to be in a perfect spot, missing one. Oh well I guess. Can have everything.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I'd be beyond shocked if Fletcherh doesn't have a good indication of whether or not he'll re-sign. That seemed to be an important factor when he was considering Clowe. He said he wouldn't fork up picks and prospects for rentals. Yes, Pominville has another year left on his contract. But that's cutting it pretty close. Gotta think that Fletcher is very confident in getting an extension in place considering he threw the bank at Buffalo.
It buys the Wild a season to see if Coyle or Zucker are perhaps ready for the role, who knows, this time next year re-signing Pominville may not be on the radar. Seto is going to be due after next season as well. Alot can change in that period.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It buys the Wild a season to see if Coyle or Zucker are perhaps ready for the role, who knows, this time next year re-signing Pominville may not be on the radar. Seto is going to be due after next season as well. Alot can change in that period.

Pominville's contract will be cheaper than his current deal, so I'd expect if he has decent production, he sticks around.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
If his play this season is an example of his play next season, he's gone before the 3rd yr of the deal IMO.
Agreed. And I've given him the benefit of the doubt this year, because he was able to rack up more points last season simply due to being moved up a few lines with all the injuries. Now he's allowed to be in a more suitable role out of the top 6. Yet something seems very off with his play this year. Not the same guy. Could it just be a case of having one bad year? Sure. Lots of guys have them. But if it continues next season, then it's time to re-evaluate.

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Give it up for the Sabres fans, you're all very classy about this trade!

I think your team is going to look pretty solid in a few years, your GM knows how to draft well (Look at those first 3 picks last year! All of us here wanted Jake McCabe.), and you're loaded up on picks for what looks like to be a great draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad