Confirmed with Link: Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
We're still flexible no matter if this is a disaster or not. i suspect it won't be. comes down to trading future flexibility for strength today. I know we were knocking on doors before Cully went down but I think we did pay a premium because of the injury--sounds like the picks were going out the door no matter what but we may not have outbid Montreal if Cullen was still in for the rest of the regular season. Playoffs were definitely in the plans this year unlike last, so we had to get another top six guy in there.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
I wouldn't be surprised if Brodin has a 5-6 million cap hit, his second contract.

The other concern is, who the hell is going to be our center when Cullen and Brodziak leave?

First off, I don't think Cullen is going anywhere for a while. I expect the Wild to work something out with Cullen during the off season. Matt himself seems the happiest he's ever been playing for Minnesota right now. And he's obviously got something left in the tank. Not so sure about Brodziak, but he's signed now for a few more years. I don't see any issues right now to start worrying about their replacements quite yet.

Mumbler*

Hope you guys win the cup this year, solid roster you guys got - real jealous.

I'll be tuning in tonight against SJ.

Bit iffy tonight. our 2c is out. his replacement was traded. D playing forward.... we'll see how it goes.

Future is looking sweet though! :D

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Cullen will stay, I'm 99% sure. There's no reason for him to leave, i'm sure he wants to retire here especially now that we are going to contend soon. Brodz is an okay 3rd C, last year he was exceptional. I still think he can be a good player for us. And I expect Granlund to be better next year and come in and contend for a top 6 spot.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I have no doubt that all the cap implications and plans to deal with all type of scenarios have been processed. There is probably some nerdy creepy guy who has a desk in a corner with a calculator and spread sheets who makes a tidy sum to figure these things out.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Too bad Pommers couldn't play tonight. He could've had 50 games played over the course of a 48 game season.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
It's just nice to actually have things like this to talk about for a change. Seems like it's been forever since we had a team here in Minnesota where we were seriously able to talk about success in the playoffs. Now we suddenly have a team that's actually expected to be a contender. I remember after we got Suter and Parise, all the haters who were teasing us on these boards telling us how bad we were still going to suck.

Look at us now boys, just look at us now!

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I think Minnesota did real well here.

They did give up quite a haul to get Pominville, but they dealt from their strengths (young forwards and goaltending) so it isn't like they crippled the organization.

And adding a proven goal scorer like Jason Pominville, who still has a year left after this one on his contract, can only help this team as they push on towards the playoffs.

Who knows, Minny may even find a way to get this guy an extension if they like his play here.
You know a guy like Matt Cullen won't be around forever and I suspect Minnesota would want to move away from a PM Bouchard for next season, and Pominville is a very good replacement on the forward lines for either of those two guys.

Have to give kudos to the Buffalo Sabres as well for getting what they did for Pominville.
Good young forward, a potential number one with Hackett (provided he goes back to the form he showed Minnesota last season), and of course the picks to further bolster their organization.

If I am a Buffalo fan, I am of course, NOT happy about the way the season has gone, nor the departures, but at least would be content that, in this particular case, Buffalo got about as much back as one could expect for their star forward.

Win-win for both Minny and Buffalo, IMO.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
It's interesting that once the Wild are in position to make a run at being a serious contender, we make a big time trade and bring in a top line player and everyone is freaking out. Would you rather have a deep prospect pool or make a serious run at a cup victory? It's easy for me. We aren't in dire need for a center at the time with Cullen flying and FBJ waiting in the wings. I want to win a cup first and foremost, having all these prospects is gravy. I love Larsson, but I love winning more.

Fletcher: "We have no first round pick this year, and no second next year"
Flahr: "Challenge accepted!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad