Wild get scored on with empty net in overtime and forfeit 'loser' point

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Did they actually lose a point? Standings have them with 80 pts, 1 more than they had before the Vegas game.
They’re at 79.

Likely whenever the game result was entered into the system (ESPN or wherever) it was entered as a normal OTL instead of correctly recording it as an OTW for Vegas and a regulation loss for the Wild.

The way the rule is, the wild don’t have a 1 point penalty in the standings or anything, they just get charged with a regulation loss instead of an OTL.

Reactions: Hoek

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
This is a situation where I hope that the coach gave the option to the players if they wanted to do this or not

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can the Wild just.... start over? What a nothing franchise. An eternal punchline like the other expansion franchises of that era. At least Nashville has stuff worth bragging about.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
100% want to keep the rule, don't want to see a team that stinks in shootouts just gamble because they get a point either way, but what I WOULD change (and this was brought up last thread) is I would make it so that if you are successful, the other team doesn't get a point. I.e. when Minny beat Nashville after pulling the goalie, Preds got a point, I say let's make it so they get nothing.
No, only one team is electing to gamble and only it should lose its chips if the gamble fails.

Reactions: Hoek

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
i'm actually getting sick of people defending this tactic, there is a reason nobody does it and it and they should not have been getting praise for it when it worked a couple weeks back. Take the game to a shootout and roll the dice and getting your extra point. Pulling the goaltender gives you worse odds and puts you at risk of losing the point you already earned.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen this before but I've heard about something similar in the 80s. Back then, you split one point each in the event of a tie, and I don't even think overtime was a thing yet, but it was a game between the Habs and caps where there was a goalie pull in a tie game.

I think it was a situation where the Habs had nothing to lose. It was a late season game and a win would have put them in a higher playoff seed. Maybe someone remembers this and can correct me if I'm wrong.

A 6 on 5 is a different beast than 4 on 3, though.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
i'm actually getting sick of people defending this tactic, there is a reason nobody does it and it and they should not have been getting praise for it when it worked a couple weeks back. Take the game to a shootout and roll the dice and getting your extra point. Pulling the goaltender gives you worse odds and puts you at risk of losing the point you already earned.

It is still hockey vs taking a chance on a skills competition. Realistically they would be better off to pull the goalie in regulation and get 2 points to zero vs giving Vegas an extra point and still going for 2.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
While true, the Wild were so far back that they really needed to gain 2 points on the Knights in the standings, not just 1 point. It's already a long shot, might as well try 6 on 5. If it was another team they were facing that they weren't even chasing, then waiting for 4 v 3 makes more sense.
They couldn't gain 2 points on Vegas once it went to overtime though.

Edit: My mistake. I get what you're saying.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
This worked the first time but based on a numbers game this isn’t the right thing to do. You probably have roughly 50/50 odds to win a shootout. A 4-3 powerplay is much less then that I’m guessing

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And it's a good rule because it prevents terrible SO teams from pulling their goalie regularly in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad