Wild get scored on with empty net in overtime and forfeit 'loser' point

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
[

You'll remember they did this against Nashville a few weeks ago and it worked, this time it didnt. Toiling away in the playoff race and desparate to do something to remain in it, I respect the effort

The rule is archaic and should be removed. It made sense when it was put in place when ties still happened, it would have created imbalances with differing amounts of points that could be awarded in standings back then. Nowadays, all games are 3 point games, doesn't make sense to still exist imo.

Last edited:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It's what they had to do, it didn't work for them.... but as an added bonus it lets me post this...

656197.jpg

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It’s a stupid strategy. It’s not like the game is going to end in a tie - you have a 50/50 chance of winning the game already.

They got lucky last time. This is the likely result probably 90% of the time.

Reactions: lang006 and Fatass

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
4 v 3 is more lethal than 6 v 5 , its a numbers game
While true, the Wild were so far back that they really needed to gain 2 points on the Knights in the standings, not just 1 point. It's already a long shot, might as well try 6 on 5. If it was another team they were facing that they weren't even chasing, then waiting for 4 v 3 makes more sense.

Reactions: CaptainCaveman

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
While true, the Wild were so far back that they really needed to gain 2 points on the Knights in the standings, not just 1 point. It's already a long shot, might as well try 6 on 5. If it was another team they were facing that they weren't even chasing, then waiting for 4 v 3 makes more sense.

Unless it's like the last game or so of the season and you need a regulation win as the tiebreaker to get in, i don't see the risk being worth it.

Too many bodies and traffic on 6on5, it's hard to even get a shot through or maintain possession lots of times let alone get a good chance

With 4on3 and the long change, you can often get a lot of tired bodies and setup with lots of space like the wild did.

Got a good chance. Just didn't end up working out. Karlsson made a great underrated play btw.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If the purpose of the rule is to to discourage teams from doing this, why not just make it against the rules to pull the goalie in 3v3 unless there's a penalty? I don't really get it.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
It didn't work but they had to. If you lose you only give up one point. Win and gain 2 pts and a take a game away from Vegas. I would have done the same

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
3on3 and shootouts can be random. They were gunning for the win in the moment by gaining the extra man, that posters point stands.

Plus the R+OT win tiebreaker and the momentum you can get from winning like that.

They changed the first tiebreaker to just regulation wins a few years ago. ROW is the second tiebreaker I think, but they're trailing the second wildcard team by 4 regulation wins, so it wouldn't have gone to the second tiebreaker anyway.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
It's easier to score 4v3 than 5v4. If Zuccarello didn't shoot from that stupid spot at that stupid moment Wild might've won.
It really didn’t matter once we gave Vegas the point. We needed to win in regulation. Anything else was non sense

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
It really didn’t matter once we gave Vegas the point. We needed to win in regulation. Anything else was non sense
To be honest, it really didn't matter before either.. This Wild team can't go on a 8-9 game winning streak anyway and that's what would've been required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad