Wild 4 Oilers 3

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They are not worse than last year.
They already have more wins against Western teams in the first 10 games than they had for the first half of last season.

Surely you can see that they are better. Clearly things arent moving fast enough for you.

Yeah, not sure how anyone can look at how this team has played so far this year and say it's worse than the team that started last year. Records be damned, this team is night and day better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You can't learn how to win. You need to learn how to do the things that contribute to winning. If they haven't learned these things yet it's either the coach hasn't identified the things needed to win and is teaching the wrong things or he doesn't know how to teach properly or other players are all more proficient at engaging in the behaviors that result in winning. I know which one my moneys on.

Or maybe there just hasnt been enough time to change the culture.

Thats where my money is.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Coming here to say I was wrong about Nurse's shot. He has a heavier shot than I thought. With that being said, I'm a super happy fan. The 6-on-5 is a glimpse of our future. That was a lot of skills.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They are not worse than last year.
They already have more wins against Western teams in the first 10 games than they had for the first half of last season.

Surely you can see that they are better. Clearly things arent moving fast enough for you.

I can see that they're better, but the only place that matters is the standings. Doesn't matter how well you play, if you don't win you don't win. Too many games given away in the third period so far this year.

If the Oilers are ever going to make improvements they have to beat the teams above them, and there are a lot of them. The Wild were by no means a team the Oilers couldn't beat and they still found a way to beat themselves.

And given the way the Caps took us to school I'm not sure we can rely on the good old Eastern Conference to shore up our record. The Habs are next and I bet you they're very angry about losing to the Canucks, and badly to boot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, not sure how anyone can look at how this team has played so far this year and say it's worse than the team that started last year. Records be damned, this team is night and day better.

I agree.

Yes the losses suck but this team is better. It should continue to get better as well especially once Eberle returns.

Its tough to accept but years of sucking are not going to end in 10 games especially being that the team is handcuffed with multiple bloated contracts.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If Chia doesn't package that useless ****ing first round pick for some real help, I give up.

I don't give a **** about Matthews or Chychrun or Puljujärvi . I'm done with nobody junior players. IT's time for some real NHLers.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can see that they're better, but the only place that matters is the standings. Doesn't matter how well you play, if you don't win you don't win. Too many games given away in the third period so far this year.

If the Oilers are ever going to make improvements they have to beat the teams above them, and there are a lot of them. The Wild were by no means a team the Oilers couldn't beat and they still found a way to beat themselves.

And given the way the Caps took us to school I'm not sure we can rely on the good old Eastern Conference to shore up our record. The Habs are next and I bet you they're very angry about losing to the Canucks, and badly to boot.

Relax...the team is improving.

That said...there will be more ugly losses like the game against the Caps. Or as I like to call them...lessons.

I honestly dont understand your expectations. I know you weren't absent for the last few years so you know how bad the team was. Did you not look at the roster this season...all things considered did you really think the team would turn things around in 10 games?

If so then your expectations were way out to lunch.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Hate to say this about RNH but it's the same argument that has been used on Yak....he is a 1OA and should be able to generate his own Offense and Carry a line...he needs to step up on both sides of the puck

Future pairs
???-McD-Yak
Hall-Drai--
???-RNH- Ebs

If we can keep that dept and find some cheap players to fill those ??? DAMN..... Then shorten the bench and roll those guys out as 2 lines to finish games...move Drai to LW with conyak and Hall with RNH/Ebs when needed

I'm starting to think this is how its going to work out. RNH just can't generate offense. A 1OA, 3rd line C. sigh. pretty easy to see how we ended up with McD.

You can't learn how to win. You need to learn how to do the things that contribute to winning. If they haven't learned these things yet it's either the coach hasn't identified the things needed to win and is teaching the wrong things or he doesn't know how to teach properly or other players are all more proficient at engaging in the behaviors that result in winning. I know which one my moneys on.

It's not some mystery; the other teams have better players.

We have 2 elite players. McD and Hall. that's it. You might include Ebs when he returns, and maybe Nurse and Drai become elite, someday. But in tonight's lineup there were 2 elite players.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Relax...the team is improving.

That said...there will be more ugly losses like the game against the Caps. Or as I like to call them...lessons.

I honestly dont understand your expectations. I know you weren't absent for the last few years so you know how bad the team was. Did you not look at the roster this season...all things considered did you really think the team would turn things around in 10 games?

If so then your expectations were way out to lunch.

I was hoping they would at least be .500 and had they not blown some games in the dying moments they probably would be, if not better.

Losing has taught this team nothing, otherwise we'd be in the midst of a dynasty right now. I'm happy they're playing better but the best way for the team to learn to win is to win. And yet whenever the opposing team takes the lead you just get that "Not again" feeling. I didn't think they'd tie the game against the Kings nor did I think they'd tie it here.

I'd like to be wrong about those things. And while it's completely understandable that the team was so godawfully horrendous the past few years that anything would be considered improvement... It really feels like the season is already slipping away and it's only going to get worse when Calgary and Anaheim improve, because we know they will.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The team as a whole plays too passive when on the road. They don't stay close to the man enough to disrupt their plays. They leave too much of a cushion and don't challenge as much as they could to force takeaways.

Added to that a number of good players (ie RNH) make a few mental mistakes that really cost the team.

The got the skill to win but not the mental fortitude or confidence. The only players that do get it are McD and Yak.

Hopefully slugs like Ferrence, Purcell never play again on this team.

Last edited:

oilz89*

yeah he played good again, but he REALLY needs to have at least one different move.... NHL goalies have already figured out his one move, and until he actually does another, they will just play him the way that dubnyk did tonight.... he needs to actually shoot on that first move once and a while, without trying to make another move and go back door

Yeah i know right? Send him to the ahl the guy cant shoot

oilz89*

Can't say Chiarelli's moves are looking that great.

Gordon > Letestu/Lander
Sekera has been a disaster
Klefbom doesn't look deserving of his extension
Gryba/Reinhart have been fine in bottom pairing roles I guess

Talbot/Nilsson have played well for the most part though. Credit there.

LOL

Letestu has been solid. Sekera has been solid NOW his partner has been the disaster. Klefbom was solid today what the heck were you watching?? Talbot has been amazing!!!:help::help::help:

oilz89*

Where is RNH. Paging RNH. Completely inivisible tonight. Too concerned with being responsible defensively and getting worked in the process. He could be such a boon for the team. And was one of my ultra high hopes for this year. He's got to wake the **** up.

Also, critiquing McDavid and the deke move. Lol. That's the one thing you take away and have to comment on. Gimme a ****ing break. He'll be the best player on the team by the end of the season.

McDavid is already the best player on this team. Defensively too

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Sure but in Mclellan parlance theres stages of games you have to manage better.

We had a 3-2 lead in the 3rd period of a roadgame. We followed that up by being dominated the rest of the way and letting the Wild take the game to us. I have no idea how a young club with speed to burn ended up being so hemmed in all over the ice. We were not creating separation, open ice, and we could get nothing going after we got the lead. Just kept turning the puck over. To give up 2 in the 3rd on the road is bad game management. We did enough to get to that point, but the "team doesn't believe it can win a game like this' seems real enough.

this team is learning to do the right things. Its just that when the other team pushes back hard they sometimes get to standing around and watching the play. They get alarmed, overwhelmed, and instead of remaining calm and making the plays they can they git the jitters. That's what happened trhough periods of this game and it happened in sections of 2nd and 3rd period.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
LOL

Letestu has been solid. Sekera has been solid NOW his partner has been the disaster. Klefbom was solid today what the heck were you watching?? Talbot has been amazing!!!:help::help::help:

Talbot and Letestu have been good. Can't say much about the rest. Sekera has not been as advertised.

klef was good today after getting 5 barrels from the coach the other day. Is that what its going to take to motivate him? Money not enough? This guy was complete crap before tonight which was easily his best game. But after being reamed out for his non compete.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
After tonight I'd be sending Davidson down. Call up Laleggia.

May as well give some players some NHL games to wet their lips, can't be worse than what we have.

At least he has a brain. Maybe he won't pass the puck to the other team without effort. I know that was Gryba but he's not going anywhere so Davidson you first.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Managed to see part of this game at least tonight, but can't really comment other than what I have been reading.

- Korpi being elbowed in the first, that somehow resulted in a wild powerplay (who scored of course)
- ConYak strikes again
- The biggest problem with this team is handling the cycle, and that is also on the forwards. Our defense is bad, but the forwards have to do their part as well.
- I can't believe I miss J Schultz now
- RNH is better without hall than with Hall. Maybe a bad game tonight, but Hall does try and dominate way too much. RNH with Ebs and Hall with Drai sounds great to me.
- Both the Fin and Nurse scored on their first game this season? Who would have thought that when they were both sent down at the start over "experienced" vets like Ference.:sarcasm:

oilz89*

With regards to tonight... wait I'm not done screaming into a pillow out of frustration yet brb

Isn't it kind of better tho to get this different type of frustration? Where we're losing in 1 goal games not blowouts lol

oilz89*

It really depends on where we finish.

I don't think the Oilers can trade the pick if there's a Player that fills a current need.

lol I don't really care. No more magic beans even if they are top picks. Make that pick available and get the best deal possible for a LEGIT top pairing dman

oilz89*

this.

teams used to the Oil without working up a sweat. Take tonight, when it was 2-0 after 10 minutes, if this was last year, that game is over. put a fork in it.

they're close, but some deals need to be done.

Imagine how our D would look with a top pairing Dman.. it would be so settled

Top pairing dman- Sekera
Nurse - Klefbom
Schultz - Reinhart/Gryba

oilz89*

If Chia doesn't package that useless ****ing first round pick for some real help, I give up.

I don't give a **** about Matthews or Chychrun or Puljujärvi . I'm done with nobody junior players. IT's time for some real NHLers.

Amen brother :handclap::handclap: its time to take risks

oilz89*

Talbot and Letestu have been good. Can't say much about the rest. Sekera has not been as advertised.

klef was good today after getting 5 barrels from the coach the other day. Is that what its going to take to motivate him? Money not enough? This guy was complete crap before tonight which was easily his best game. But after being reamed out for his non compete.

To be fair, He isn't being paid that money yet :sarcasm: and he was playing the rightside tonight i believe. Sekera yeah i agree but he's slowly getting solid. I think Fayne weighs him down more.

Look at Hamilton, its the same thing but Dougies been worse

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
lol I don't really care. No more magic beans even if they are top picks. Make that pick available and get the best deal possible for a LEGIT top pairing dman

With all the top pairing Dmen being traded for magic beans that should be an easy task for any GM

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
With respect to our defense I have to commend Sekera he had a pretty darn solid game and Klefbom was good for most of the night, despite being saddled with a rookie, Nurse got better as the game wore on, but still needs work. Am I also the only person who noticed Nurse didn't shoot that top corner, his slapper was low and ramped off the defenders stick and over Dubie's shoulder, regardless we need to give Nurse another game see if he can get some momentum off this game.

Fayne was horrible early, seems like he got benched for a bit and came back and played better for most of the rest of the night, but I think the coaching staff is losing faith in him and as a veteran and given his play early it's hard to blame them. Gryba was just ok, played reasonably decently defensively but was guilty of a horrible suicide pass and a couple botched plays/turnovers. Davidson to me stuck out as a weak link, not god awful, but just a accumulation of little things that make it clear he's a step below the NHL level.

I might be alone in this thought, but I presently consider McDavid our 3rd best player after Nuge and Hall, but he is quickly blurring that line, the kid is so good, he might be our best player before the end of the year. Yakupov is doing a ton of good things out there and I really like how involved he is in the forecheck and creating turnovers, but he also makes some rather stupid turnovers, while Fayne deserves a lot of blame for deflecting the 1st goal in, Yakupov's spin-o-rama pass to no one against a good transition team also bears some blame.

Hall was great tonight, a great reminder why I tune out the people who bash him just cause he starts the season a little slow. Nuge was playing pretty good hockey for most of the night, but I am getting really sick of seeing him lose his man in that little 5 ft zone right infront of the net, he's good defensively all over the ice until the puck gets down really low and he always seems to be a step behind or standing there not properly tying up a stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad