Wiercioch or Cowen

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I'd take PW.

Much better offensively, and was better defensively this season. I'm losing hope in Cowen regardless of his age. He doesn't show consistent signs of being close to the players we thought he could be. He's supposed to be an anchor on the back end but he's not, he's sinking the ship instead.

PW being benched so much was Mac's biggest blunder this season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Going with my usual thing, Cowen as a between Coburn and Seabrook

It was his sophomore year missing training camp and coming back from injury. Still finished with decent defensive stats compared to his peers in a season where he some what struggled

He just needs to feel more confortable as a NHL player. I think we have no idea how much harder it is that it seems, there's a lot of freaking talent in this league. I've seen enough signs about Cowen to still have faith in him. Of course, he will never be a "sexy" player so people need to adjust their expectation

Wiercioch I don't know, he's a Turris friend but I think he's more a trading asset for this team, obviously they see Ceci as more important for the future, but does that mean there won't be a spot for him? It will depend on many factors IMO and Wikstrand could be one of them. Let's see how PW develops next year and how he asserts himself on the ice

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Wiercioch is better at everything. The only thing he doesn't have is 30 extra pounds.

So many horrible gaffes on top of consistent bad hockey from Cowen does not make me optimistic. He just put up the worst season I've ever seen from a Sens D-man.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Cowen will be a stud so him but I'd like to keep wiercioch as well. Both will be awesome as they mature, but I know the concept of some young players taking time to develop goes over most heads around here.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Cowen will be a stud so him but I'd like to keep wiercioch as well. Both will be awesome as they mature, but I know the concept of some young players taking time to develop goes over most heads around here.

Well if you're going to be smug about it, maybe you could give some examples of stud D-men who totally, completely sucked early in their careers. I don't mean guys like Hedman who were solid but underwhelming.

If everything goes right for Cowen, he'll probably end up like Braydon Coburn? Maybe? Totally not worth putting up with even a half season worth of his abysmal play.

The Fuhr*

I feel when people compare Cowen to Coburn they are significantly under valuing Cowens physical contributions... Cowen is a couple levels above Coburn physically

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I feel when people compare Cowen to Coburn they are significantly under valuing Cowens physical contributions... Cowen is a couple levels above Coburn physically

Coburn Height 6.05 -- Weight 220

Cowen Height 6.05 -- Weight 230

Cowen's hits don't make up for him sucking at literally everyhing else.

The Fuhr*

Coburn Height 6.05 -- Weight 220

Cowen Height 6.05 -- Weight 230

Cowen's hits don't make up for him sucking at literally everyhing else.

As Cowen matures he will begin using his nasty streak to his advantage... It's going to be sick

You know the Thrashers gave up on Coburn and traded him for an aging Zhitnik... Big defense take time...

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
We shouldn't even be having this conversation. It should be Cowen and Wiercioch with the odd man out being C. Phillips.......Phillips should be our 7th dman next year and if he is not willing to accept that role then trade him.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Wiercioch is better at everything. The only thing he doesn't have is 30 extra pounds.

So many horrible gaffes on top of consistent bad hockey from Cowen does not make me optimistic. He just put up the worst season I've ever seen from a Sens D-man.

He was bad but not Phillips bad.

The Fuhr*

a little too optimistic.

Cowen just had 6G in 68GP
5G his last nhl season
He can score goals

As he matures he will become better defensivly and begin using his strength/physical abilities as an advantage.

I just watched the same thing happen with EJ and Hedman... People were giving up on them and put it together out of nowhere

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I have no idea.

It all depends which way the NHL Powers That Be decide the league is going to go.

If they're looking at dropping a lot of the physical component, and go to a wide open offensive style (for Montreal, Pittsburgh and some Western Conference teams), then Weircioch.

If we're going to continue to have a strong blend of physicality in the league along with some up tempo play, then Cowen.

Personally, I'm feeling a definite change in the winds with the NHL over the past 2-3 months. I have a feeling the purely physical beasts, the fighters/fighting and slower skaters are definitely on the way out. All the NHL seems to want these days are highlight reel goals and end-to-end action.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think injuries and mishandling really botched Cowen's development. He seems like a guy that would have really benefited from more time in the AHL. I feel like he was rushed due to the lack of depth in the farm at the time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wiercioch, cant teach hockey sense. Cowen doesn't have it but he does. Not that either of them have shown any growth at all but just regression.

I feel like Wiercioch has zero trade value while Cowen might have a little. either way if the sens go into next season with Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba and Phillips all dressing it will be the same as this past disastrous season.

I think injuries and mishandling really botched Cowen's development. He seems like a guy that would have really benefited from more time in the AHL. I feel like he was rushed due to the lack of depth in the farm at the time.

His attitude hasn't helped one bit, arrogant player. Doesn't think he needs to get better based on his interviews, held out its a joke. He must just blackout when he turns the puck over or gets burned or takes a bad penalty. That or he is too dumb to realize, either way its no good.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Komisarek is – and pretty much always was – awful. You can't be a defenseman with zero mobility in this league anymore. I know it's largely due to the injuries, but I don't think Cowen has the mobility to be a dominating defenseman.

Komisarek was a top end stay at home D before Lucic ruined him. Guy could really skate, had a mean streak and had a heavy shot. It'll take Cowen awhile but he can definitely be that kind of guy. No guys like that just make it over night. It's even harder to play the game that way these days with how the game is called. As he gets older and becomes part of the old boys club, he'll get fewer calls for basically being bigger than his opponent as well.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I'll take the Canadian Chara, has shown he can take over games.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Well if you're going to be smug about it, maybe you could give some examples of stud D-men who totally, completely sucked early in their careers. I don't mean guys like Hedman who were solid but underwhelming.

If everything goes right for Cowen, he'll probably end up like Braydon Coburn? Maybe? Totally not worth putting up with even a half season worth of his abysmal play.

So lets pretend a young player coming off hip surgery, no training camp and playing on a mess of a team has lost his potential? :shakehead

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Going with my usual thing, Cowen as a between Coburn and Seabrook

Why are you confident Cowen will be better Coburn, when Coburn showed far more at a younger age?

Usually stud defenseman have at least some semblance of puck/passing skills, but okay Cowen will be a stud.

As Cowen matures he will begin using his nasty streak to his advantage... It's going to be sick

You know the Thrashers gave up on Coburn and traded him for an aging Zhitnik... Big defense take time...

Chara took time, and even he started to figure it out at 24. He had an odd development arc, but less odd when you see he was playing 23-24 a night on the top pairing on some awful Islander teams when he should have been sheltered.

Nevertheless, he's the exception to the rule, most of the players we'd all call 'good defenceman' in the league have shown more ability than Cowen by the same age.

Coburn had 36 points playing 21 minutes a night when he was 22. Cowen just finished his age 23 season and on merit should have been scratched far more than he was.

Maybe Cowen puts it together next season, I'm just real sceptical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad