Why were the Sharks eliminated by the Stars in 2008?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Interestingly, and according to Marty Turco, Morrow sustained an injury and that series and was much less effective going forwards; Turco credits this as a big reason why Dallas didn't advance that year.
fatal shark bite again

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
Sharks were notorious in that era for playing regular season hockey in the playoffs. They didn't sell out to protect their defensive zone and they rarely were more physical than the other team. That season in particular they thought they would end Calgary quickly and took them lightly. Calgary pounded them physically. Wasn't this the series where Marleau got trucked bloodied by one of Calgary's D-men? Then they got to Dallas and were too drained to take what Dallas was dishing out. Remember Dallas also had Ott who was as cheap and physical as ever in that series. It wasn't just morrow, it was the entire Dallas team. Sharks wilted under the pressure and couldn't generate actual goals the way you can in the regular season. It wasn't Nabby that was the problem and Turco didn't have to make as many or the same level of difficulty of shots that Nabby faced. There is nuance in HDSC which is lost in a simple look at the stats. The difference in that series wasn't the goaltending.

Yeah it was Cory Sarich. That was just a pure steamroll. Remember seeing it live. I can't remember if anyone on the Sharks side went after Sarich though?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Interestingly, and according to Marty Turco, Morrow sustained an injury and that series and was much less effective going forwards; Turco credits this as a big reason why Dallas didn't advance that year.
That's great to hear. I hated him for that hit on Michalek. If you watch the highlights, Rivet absolutely crushes Morrow a few times. He was one of the most physical Sharks that post season. He even pinched from the blue line to almost the goalie to run Morrow over.
Yeah it was Cory Sarich. That was just a pure steamroll. Remember seeing it live. I can't remember if anyone on the Sharks side went after Sarich though?
I don't think anyone did but Patty manned up and I think scored later in the game. I remember thinking at the time that he showed some real toughness after that hit.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Nobody fought him but that is to be expected when you realize who was on the ice at the time. That was the top line and top pairing on the ice. Losing 1 of those 5 to get at sarich is absolutely stupid trade off late in a playoff series.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
That Calgary series was an embarrassment and perfectly encapsulated those disappointing finishes during the mid-to-late 2000s. Sharks were a vastly superior team on paper (yes, I know, games aren't played on paper) and somehow let that series go 7 games. As a result, they were out of gas and didn't get out of the gate early enough against Dallas. Nabby also let in several softies, game 6 notwithstanding, which didn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad