Speculation: Why we might win the cup this year.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
There really are only 2 teams in the east head and shoulder better then us.....Other then that.....I would not be concerned.....but this doesn't even factor in for trades we likely will make, nor does it factor in for potential emergence of Dacosta/Stone......Not really taking into account that we are in it with what has been awfull goaltending most of the year, but both of our goalies if they play to there potential I'd take over just about anyone out there.

I'm gonna base this next part on what I know about each of the likely playoff teams in the east please feel free to add or elaborate if I miss anything or correct if I'm way off the mark.

Pittsburgh
Offense: Rediculusly high octane offense, but not unbeatable if either Crosby or Malkin go down or have an off series which has happened in the past.
Defense: Good on defense...not amazing....just good.
Goalies: Two very good goalies. Fleury is a choke artist. Vocoun, well, he's old banged up and may not be able to play at his full potential in this years playoffs due to injuries.
Intangibles: Have two players that can win games all by themselves.

Boston
Offense: Capable of scoring at a very good clip plays a smash mouth style go hard to the net and make defenders pay tend to pick apart smaller defenses. Can be out skated by some teams. Can be shut down by teams with Large physical defensemen.
Defense: I could probably say Chara and that would be enough....but beyond that there kinda average defensively too,the key is to find a way around Chara.
Goalies: Rask is a beast. However he can be rattled. Also if Rask goes down.....so do the Bruins.
Intangibles: This is the meanest team in the east.

Tampa Bay
Offense: They have a fiery Offense that can score at will at times. But they are young and relatively inexpearianced which will likely be there down fall, can be bullied by bigger teams.
Defense: Suspect....It looks pretty good but is that them or is that Big Ben?
Goalies: Ben Bishop... He has been a beast this year, but his lack of playoff expeariance could turn into a problem when the stress level gets higher and with heavy traffic in his crease. If Bishop holds up they could go deep if not....they're going no where.
Intangibles:This team tends to score in bunches if it's aponents goaltending isn't up to snuff there will be no stopping them.

Montreal
Offense: Fast and very oppurtunistic. SMALL. They can score but with a lack of size it's hard to imagine them being able to beat a team like PIT BOS or OTT for a few examples.
Defense: Yet another team that is just good defensively....They will not win a series on the strength of there D.
Goalies: Price thus far has had a sort of jekyl and hyde showing in the playoffs the canadians will need him to be All world to go anywhere in the playoffs.
Intangibles: The Canadiens have several players that are excellent at getting under peoples skin.

Toronto
Offense: Good offensive team, can score at a reasonable clip. No proven playoff performers.
Defense: They are the worst defensive team that is going to make the playoffs. 40 plus shots against a game in the playoffs equals you lose.
Goalies: They have two good goalies. Neither brings alot of playoff expeariance to the table....
Intangibles:Can goon there way to wins.

NY Rangers
Offense: This team has a workman like offense but is likely the weakest offensive team that makes it, Though Rick Nash can be a game Breaker.
Defense: They play solid team defense but individually are not that dominant.
Goalies: King Henry is the best goalie in the east at his best but has not been his best this year....
Intangibles: Lundqvist..... He can steal a game a series and maybe a cup before he retires when he's at his best.

The other two spots I'm gonna guess one of goes to Ottawa and **** knows who gets the other but who ever it is will be no one we can not beat.

Ottawa
Offense: Can score at a torrent pace, have a fairly deep group in terms of players capable of producing. Awfull on the PP at home. Sometimes lack secondary scoring.
Defense: After being awfull for the first half of the season has rounded into good form with there size and mobility are capable of dealing with most teams but will there inexpeariance be a factor?
Goalies: Both of these goalies are good enough to steal a series..... But will either of them play as well as they can?
Intangibles: Better then they have been. Keep in mind alot of people had this team pegged as a dark horse to win the cup this year.....They are that good when they are on the same page.

BELIEVE PEOPLE.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I love the optimism in this thread.

I think the biggest challenges are getting into the playoffs, and not being so completely burned out and worn down from the long playoff race that we get mowed down in the first round.

If we make it in, and can make it past the first round, I like our chances against anyone.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I love the optimism in this thread.

I think the biggest challenges are getting into the playoffs, and not being so completely burned out and worn down from the long playoff race that we get mowed down in the first round.

If we make it in, and can make it past the first round, I like our chances against anyone.

Agreed. I'm sometimes guilty of being very pessimistic so I thought I might highlight the possitives for once lol. This team can make some noise if we can survive the first round.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yep. Jinxes are silly. This team has the talent and really winning the cup is about getting in and getting hot at the right time. The foundation for a cup winning team is there with a lot of top end talent in Ottawa.

I'm not concerned about making the playoffs...this team is too talented not to. It's just a matter of bringing it when they get there.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lololololol...before or after we trade Spezza. How does someone go from believing to trading the captain ?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
1) we dont have a clutch goalie
2) we missing not 1 but imo 2 top dmen
3) we missing a top 6 forward...

sorry but we aint winning this year...but as just bieber would say...never say never

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's going to be tough just to make the playoffs. With the new playoff format, you have to be reasonably good against all the teams in your own division to have a chance. We've got 2 jinx teams - Boston and Toronto, in our division. Until we get both jinxes totally and completely off our back, we have virtually no chance.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The way they played last night is a good example of why they won't win the cup. :shakehead

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Thank god we only got 2 players going to the Olympics compared to teams like Montreal with 8!

Were gonna need all the help going down the stretch just to hope to make the Playoffs!

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Rebuild Bottom 6
Add a top 6
Add a top 4

Eliminate players like Gryba Philips Condra Greenings etc

Probably another 5-6 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad