Speculation: Why we might win the cup this year.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Maybe BMurr and Euge aren't as nuts to think that this is our window as many including myself have thought they were.

We are in the midst of a dog fight for playoff position in the east that will likely go down to the wire before it is completely solved. However assuming we can make it into the playoffs which for the moment is a reasonable thought I think there is alot to be excited about once we get in. Especially if we can avoid Boston or Pittsburgh in the first round.

As I look around the Eastern conference one fact seems very clear.... The group of teams as a whole are all very close in talent level with the exception of the top 2 and even Boston is closer to the pack then in previous years in terms of talent level.

As this team is right now the Senators should be able to compete with/beat almost any team in the east with the possible exceptions of BOS and PIT. With a good add or two down the stretch it is entirely possible that we may even be able to compete with them.

There is always risk for injuries down the stretch as well and not just to us but to everyone. If PIT or BOS were to get dinged up they may become less dominant at the right time.

A few things we have that most of the East does not. Depth at center. Depth in goal. Enough money to make a splash at the deadline.

What I'm really getting at here is that if the Sens can get in there are only really two teams in the east that pose huge threats to us. And we have beaten both of those teams handily at least once each this season. I submit for your scrutiny that if this team gets in to the Playoffs not only is it possible we win a round it's possible we go deep. Here's hoping folks.

There really are only 2 teams in the east head and shoulder better then us.....Other then that.....I would not be concerned.....but this doesn't even factor in for trades we likely will make, nor does it factor in for potential emergence of Dacosta/Stone......Not really taking into account that we are in it with what has been awfull goaltending most of the year, but both of our goalies if they play to there potential I'd take over just about anyone out there.

I'm gonna base this next part on what I know about each of the likely playoff teams in the east please feel free to add or elaborate if I miss anything or correct if I'm way off the mark.

Pittsburgh
Offense: Rediculusly high octane offense, but not unbeatable if either Crosby or Malkin go down or have an off series which has happened in the past.
Defense: Good on defense...not amazing....just good.
Goalies: Two very good goalies. Fleury is a choke artist. Vocoun, well, he's old banged up and may not be able to play at his full potential in this years playoffs due to injuries.
Intangibles: Have two players that can win games all by themselves.

Boston
Offense: Capable of scoring at a very good clip plays a smash mouth style go hard to the net and make defenders pay tend to pick apart smaller defenses. Can be out skated by some teams. Can be shut down by teams with Large physical defensemen.
Defense: I could probably say Chara and that would be enough....but beyond that there kinda average defensively too,the key is to find a way around Chara.
Goalies: Rask is a beast. However he can be rattled. Also if Rask goes down.....so do the Bruins.
Intangibles: This is the meanest team in the east.

Tampa Bay
Offense: They have a fiery Offense that can score at will at times. But they are young and relatively inexpearianced which will likely be there down fall, can be bullied by bigger teams.
Defense: Suspect....It looks pretty good but is that them or is that Big Ben?
Goalies: Ben Bishop... He has been a beast this year, but his lack of playoff expeariance could turn into a problem when the stress level gets higher and with heavy traffic in his crease. If Bishop holds up they could go deep if not....they're going no where.
Intangibles:This team tends to score in bunches if it's aponents goaltending isn't up to snuff there will be no stopping them.

Montreal
Offense: Fast and very oppurtunistic. SMALL. They can score but with a lack of size it's hard to imagine them being able to beat a team like PIT BOS or OTT for a few examples.
Defense: Yet another team that is just good defensively....They will not win a series on the strength of there D.
Goalies: Price thus far has had a sort of jekyl and hyde showing in the playoffs the canadians will need him to be All world to go anywhere in the playoffs.
Intangibles: The Canadiens have several players that are excellent at getting under peoples skin.

Toronto
Offense: Good offensive team, can score at a reasonable clip. No proven playoff performers.
Defense: They are the worst defensive team that is going to make the playoffs. 40 plus shots against a game in the playoffs equals you lose.
Goalies: They have two good goalies. Neither brings alot of playoff expeariance to the table....
Intangibles:Can goon there way to wins.

NY Rangers
Offense: This team has a workman like offense but is likely the weakest offensive team that makes it, Though Rick Nash can be a game Breaker.
Defense: They play solid team defense but individually are not that dominant.
Goalies: King Henry is the best goalie in the east at his best but has not been his best this year....
Intangibles: Lundqvist..... He can steal a game a series and maybe a cup before he retires when he's at his best.

The other two spots I'm gonna guess one of goes to Ottawa and **** knows who gets the other but who ever it is will be no one we can not beat.

Ottawa
Offense: Can score at a torrent pace, have a fairly deep group in terms of players capable of producing. Awfull on the PP at home. Sometimes lack secondary scoring.
Defense: After being awfull for the first half of the season has rounded into good form with there size and mobility are capable of dealing with most teams but will there inexpeariance be a factor?
Goalies: Both of these goalies are good enough to steal a series..... But will either of them play as well as they can?
Intangibles: Better then they have been. Keep in mind alot of people had this team pegged as a dark horse to win the cup this year.....They are that good when they are on the same page.

BELIEVE PEOPLE.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
IF they do make the playoffs, I doubt they can avoid pitts or boston in the first round, never mind the second or third round. And even if they make it out of the east do you honestly think they can roll into Chicago or California and take those teams at home?
Even then making the playoffs is going to be harddddd, Carolina and Columbus are cruising and the sens are tied for 12th. Carolina also has some easy games the next 2weeks they might leave us in the dust.

They are tied with NJ, lol NJ. That sucks

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
The team that comes out of the west will be exhausted that conference will be WAR to get out of.

Our schedule is softer then several of the teams were competing with.

And to be honest........I think we could beat boston.....

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Maybe BMurr and Euge aren't as nuts to think that this is our window as many including myself have thought they were.

We are in the midst of a dog fight for playoff position in the east that will likely go down to the wire before it is completely solved. However assuming we can make it into the playoffs which for the moment is a reasonable thought I think there is alot to be excited about once we get in. Especially if we can avoid Boston or Pittsburgh in the first round.

As I look around the Eastern conference one fact seems very clear.... The group of teams as a whole are all very close in talent level with the exception of the top 2 and even Boston is closer to the pack then in previous years in terms of talent level.

As this team is right now the Senators should be able to compete with/beat almost any team in the east with the possible exceptions of BOS and PIT. With a good add or two down the stretch it is entirely possible that we may even be able to compete with them.

There is always risk for injuries down the stretch as well and not just to us but to everyone. If PIT or BOS were to get dinged up they may become less dominant at the right time.

A few things we have that most of the East does not. Depth at center. Depth in goal. Enough money to make a splash at the deadline.

What I'm really getting at here is that if the Sens can get in there are only really two teams in the east that pose huge threats to us. And we have beaten both of those teams handily at least once each this season. I submit for your scrutiny that if this team gets in to the Playoffs not only is it possible we win a round it's possible we go deep. Here's hoping folks.

As you are aware you're gonna get raked over the coals for this #PositivePost, but I understand your line of thinking. That being said, if we do get into the playoffs, it will likely be as a 7 or 8. You might have already thought of this, but say we make it into 7th. That will likely pit us against Boston. If we beat them, we will then likely face Pittsburgh, assuming they go through round 1. I don't think we have it in us to pull an LA Kings and essentially beat all the top teams en route to the SCF. And then even if we get to round 4, look at the powerhouses that might be there. But I mean who knows. I'm all for an underdog run to the SCF.

I'd laugh if we had to go up against Anaheim in the SCF again, though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I want whatever you're currently taking.

We're a playoff bubble team...right now. Once our kids grow and develop a bit more in the league over the next 3-4 years, and we add a significant piece or two, then we can call ourselves legitimate contenders.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I don't think so. Next year looks really good though. Chara and Iginla would be regressing even more, half of Detroit's roster will regress, NYR seems to be doing a sort of retool so will be trying to adjust, all our young guys will have one more year under their belt and hopefully more playoff experience, and so on.

The only thing that wont change for the better (imo) is Pittsburgh. They are going to be a contender as long as they have Sid + Malkin. Though Tampa and Toronto should get better as well.

I think if we could get a LW in free agency *cough* Vanek *cough* we will be set to contend. I think the budget can more realistically fit someone like Callahan, Cammalleri, Vrbata, or Roy if we let go of Milan and we would be better as well

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Need an epic collapse by an opponent to make it happen.

Goaltending changes everything. Either one of our goalies could steal a series.

But we've seen also that even mediocre goaltending with Pittsburgh or Boston can sink us.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
As you are aware you're gonna get raked over the coals for this #PositivePost, but I understand your line of thinking. That being said, if we do get into the playoffs, it will likely be as a 7 or 8. You might have already thought of this, but say we make it into 7th. That will likely pit us against Boston. If we beat them, we will then likely face Pittsburgh, assuming they go through round 1. I don't think we have it in us to pull an LA Kings and essentially beat all the top teams en route to the SCF. And then even if we get to round 4, look at the powerhouses that might be there. But I mean who knows. I'm all for an underdog run to the SCF.

I'd laugh if we had to go up against Anaheim in the SCF again, though.

I had thought of that. I assume that what ever two teams come in 7th and 8th will have been playing playoff hockey for a month and will test the pens and bruins because they will be better prepared the first game or two. IF we can draw Boston in the first I think we can beat them.

Then in the second Yea we run into the Penguins....Will they be healthy? will they be tired after being shocked at the challenge given by a ramped up underdog team? Will the Sens be pumped coming off a win that most would say should never have happened? These are all maybes... But one thing we do know is that we are capable of getting better goaltending then them. And I'd bet that after the shell shocking Andy took last year.... HE HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE.

Then assuming we get through those two teams....sorry but there isn't a team in the east that would stop us at that point....

Then your in the final, no team is coming out of the west unscaved and with our toughest series having been in the first and second round were probably healthier and less worn down going into the series.....Anythings possible right?

I'd love a rematch if we won....hate it if we lost.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I want whatever you're currently taking.

We're a playoff bubble team...right now. Once our kids grow and develop a bit more in the league over the next 3-4 years, and we add a significant piece or two, then we can call ourselves legitimate contenders.

We had a bad start look at our record since january 1st.... I think this is more indicative of the team we really are: 7-2-3 compare that to the rest of the east.........not bad not bad. We will need to make a move to bolster at D and at the wing........but IF we do I don't think it's a completely unreasonable thought.....were a contender this year because of a lack of quality competition next year we have a shot at being a contender because were really that good.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
These next 5 games or so will be very telling whether they make the play offs or not. Tough teams that they can't screw around with. I am predicting a train derailment but it might go either way. Really depends on how well Spezza plays.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Getting out of the first round from a wild card spot will be a lot harder now. There is definitely a parity amongst the contenders, and a parity amongst the teams fighting for wild card spots, but ne'er the twain shall meet.

I've never liked this connotation so many use about how LA as an eighth place team pulled off an upset and shows that 8th place teams can win. LA had been building, drafting, slowly for years and that was supposed to be their year. There were many saying that their time was now, and if they didnt do something big that year, there would be serious questions. And then when they started off the year out of the playoffs and had to fight for 8th spot down the stretch, most thought this was terrible, they were vastly underperforming, should be a first place team, a contender by now. Even more than people now think Edm should be a playoff team finally. LA had been developing even longer than Edm has.

So to now years later hold up LA as an example of a plucky 8th place team that pulled off a big upset, i just cant see that example making the point that's intended.

But definitely, it is easy to make a case that if this teams stars regain their health, if some of our key rookies develop to the next level, if our goalies remain well protected and strong, that a lot of top teams will be very wary of facing us. The Sens have a built for the playoffs feel about them, and while it would require an upset, it isnt totally far fetched.

I'm sure the players feel that too. And im sure they are hoping that the org will do everything possible down the stretch to give them every chance possible to compete. And so far, i think they are showing they deserve it. But they just have to keep it going a while longer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've been saying this all year. That Ottawa is a dark horse that is. They can beat any team in the playoffs -- too talented to be where they are right now.

With the addition of another legitimate top 6 player I think they'd be a real threat for the cup, but that's just me.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Really? The cup? :shakehead

Yes really. Name another team whom can put up a list as solid as this in the east.

Karlson
Spezza
Turris
Macarthur
Ryan
Zibby
Methot
Anderson
Ceci
Michalek (If he turns it on)

There are only 2 other teams in the east with that many game breaking talents.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Anything is possible as long as you make the playoffs, but the odds aren't in our favour. Who knows what could happen if Bobby Ryan is coming in hot.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yes really. Name another team whom can put up a list as solid as this in the east.

Karlson
Spezza
Turris
Macarthur
Ryan
Zibby
Methot
Anderson
Ceci
Michalek (If he turns it on)

There are only 2 other teams in the east with that many game breaking talents.

Boston, Penguins, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Montreal, Rangers, Detroit, Chicago, St.Louis, Colorado, Anaheim, San Jose, LA, Vancouver and Minnesota all have better chances then us.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013

This season is kind of unique in that it's an Olympic year. With only two of our players going to represent, we can hope that the majority of our team will benefit from the rest that most of the other powerhouse teams in the league will not be getting. And like you said, the East is wide open this year. I don't know if I'm nearly as optimistic, but I'm expecting an interesting finish to the season regardless.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i'll have my wife clean all your houses if we win the cup this yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad